Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

english15x

How To: Dye Your Holders

Hey guys, just wanted to try and help some people out with understanding how to dye holders. I'm sure some people know how but for those who don't I'd like to try and make a tutorial/how to on this subject. I hope this helps some people!

Items needed:

- Holders

- RIT DYE: color of your choice

- Large Pot(Spaghetti) to boil water in

- Some type of container you don't care about to dye the items in (that will cover the holders completely)

- Rubber Gloves

- Some Time

Step 1: Gather everything (pictured - I chose cobra holder to put on my graf skates with RIT powder black dye- liquid also works)

dscf1827zb6.jpg

Step 2: Boil water in your big ol' pot (hope everyone knows how to boil water

dscf1828ju0.jpg

Step 3: Once water comes to a boil, add water to container that you are dying your holders in (pictured - I chose a large bucket from my dad's garage)

dscf1830cg8.jpg

Step 4: Mix dye to boiled water. I used an old over-sized kitchen spoon to stir it up.

dscf1832bi6.jpg

Step 5: Insert Holders (make sure they are completely submerged)

Step 6: Check on holders with rubber gloves, checking the color out (my holders took 4 hours in the dye to get them where I wanted them)

Step 7: Once satisfied with the color of the holders, hose them off or use the sink. ( I took my bucket outside after I got them ready and let them dye by my garden hose so when I was done I could hose them off outside and not make a mess inside)

dscf1833oy5.jpg

Step 8: Dry, and reassemble

BEFORE!

dscf1831de0.jpg

AFTER!

dscf1836cr6.jpg

TOTAL COST - $1.86 at Walgreens for the RIT dye.

any questions or comments can be posted up or I will take any PM's

nice. does doing this weeken the plastic at all? i spray painted mine but i have to touch them up all the time

I really don't think it will have a huge effect on it, seeing as holders get so cold while skating. Why couldn't they handle a little bit of heat?

nice. does doing this weeken the plastic at all? i spray painted mine but i have to touch them up all the time

I really don't think it will have a huge effect on it, seeing as holders get so cold while skating. Why couldn't they handle a little bit of heat?

Cobras are not good to soak. They tend to absorb water and lose stiffness more than any other holder on the market.

way to dump on my work <_<

haha sorry english dont take it that way.

black on black is mt favorite look.

your skates are niiiiiiice. and good work on the dye job.

came out alot better than i could have ever done it

i did this my RBK 8ks, I used the liquid dye and i let them sit for about 30mins and they came out pitch black and then i let them sit in a bucket of ice water for about a minute after dying and then let them hang dry all night. I used hangers bent so they can hang in the water and i could easily pull them out. Nice job though, ill have to post a pic of my RBKs soon..

Cobras are not good to soak. They tend to absorb water and lose stiffness more than any other holder on the market.

Chadd, I've also heard that about the Cobras. Have you (or anyone else reading this) heard anything about the Easton holders? I figured since I'm laid up for so long, maybe I'll dye the holders on my S15's while I'm healing on the couch. I'm thinking black would look best, but I'm REALLY REALLY tempted to dye them like lime green or something, just to bug the guy I work with.

Chadd, I've also heard that about the Cobras. Have you (or anyone else reading this) heard anything about the Easton holders? I figured since I'm laid up for so long, maybe I'll dye the holders on my S15's while I'm healing on the couch. I'm thinking black would look best, but I'm REALLY REALLY tempted to dye them like lime green or something, just to bug the guy I work with.

Do you work at TotalHockey?

wow great tutorial.. definitely going to do mine now with such great instructions.

what color does anyone suggest would look nice on vector 10.0's... i wanna try one crazy color.. see how it looks then if it turns out awful then ill just re-dye them black forever..

any suggestions??

Those holders look very good. Great job on them!!!

Going to dye my holders come the omha's (All Ontario championship playoffs).

I'm going to dye mine Blue (for my team color) on my graf 735, might not look the greatest with my grafs but I don't really care!!!

Edit:Spelling

Do you work at TotalHockey?

Nah, I work with DarkStar50, but he's not the guy I was referring to.

Just another question for everyone.... would you be able to re-dye the holders a SECOND time, or would that have an adverse effect?

So does the water have to stay hot for the dye to work well? Or can I just bring it to a boil stir in the dye and let them just soak. Just wanted to know if I needed to worry about water temperature.

what would you use to make a striping style like ovechkin tried with a sharpie.

what i mean is what kind of tape will hold to stay so you can make it two colors or maybe three.

also where is that ovechkin iihf skate thread??