Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Another gem from JR's custom shop

I've never used it before.... :lol:

Sweet Skates MLS! so Practically no break in period whats so ever? Have you tried the more flexible inserts?

Wore them once, and the top of my foot where the reflex tongue bends was a little sore. The second time, no soreness whatsoever. I still want to bake them, but the fit has been great so far. Did not try the mid flex....went straight to stiff and I love the responsiveness.

One of our members lives out in Tampa and asked me to fit him - all of my custom work are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

He had injured his foot in a paratrooping accident - essentially deformed his toe box, to the point that it made his foot 3/4 sizes bigger than the other foot.

So, we went with 4 3/4 EEEA on the right and 5.5EEEA on the left. High vamp, oversized toe caps, clarino liner, 3mm heel lift, inner ankle walls shifted outward on both boots.

hunterto.jpg

hunterto2.jpg

hunterto3.jpg

hunterto4.jpg

Those look a lot like a pair I had made up for one of the kids I coach. His were 4.75EEEEB and 5EEEEB. Some short wide feet. I see yours have the 3flex tongue. They must have thrown a size 6 tongue on, huh?

Several months back I had the good fortune to hook up with JR. Quick recap of my whole skate saga. Please don't ask me who sized me for which skates, the only store I am willing to name can be seen in my previous posts on the matter.

Skate #1 purchased: Bauer Supreme 7000 11EE pro stock. - These were the first skates I purchased after I decided to get back into hockey.

They felt ok in the store, but I realized within a couple weeks that they were way too big. (Didn't have much selection in store other than an Easton skate and a CCM model.)

Skate #2 Vapor XXXX 10D - Purchased a month afterwards. Tried on several Graf models, Supreme One90, Easton S15 I think, as well as a couple others. These felt ok for a couple weeks, but as my skill level progressed and I got my legs back, they started to hurt a bit in the area where Haglunds forms as well as my ankle bones on the outside eyelets.

Skate #3 Custom One95 - Purchased a few months after the Vapor XXXX. I don't remember the size, but I know I was sized incorrectly. +1 in the upper as well as some other stuff. An absolutely miserable experience. I tried to stick it out with these for over a year.

Skate #4 Custom Vapor XXXX - L10C/AAA, R9.5C/AAA. These were tolerable, but after the One95 misery, anything was an improvement. (These are now my inline boots that I use to tool around Los Angeles with my dog..)

After JR had mercy on my poor soul and agreed to size me, we hooked up and he took all the measurements. The end product is a pair of X60s that feel amazing.

I don't know the proper terminology, but he moved the entire upper quarters around due to my weird ankle bone placement as well as changed the positioning of the eyelets. Some of the other "mods" include reinforced eyelets,a heel lift, and felt lining with the Total One rubber outside lining so that my ankles wouldn't get cut up. I really like the felt interior versus the other clarino or Total one options. I also had the tongue shortened a half inch. I am sure there is other stuff I do not remember, maybe JR will pipe in if he still has the order form...

A super big shout out to JR. I cannot thank you enough, buddy. Not to be dramatic, but I was on the verge of giving up hockey for good due to foot pain. I was super worried that I would start skating in these, and I would find some problems with the fit. That definitely was not the case. I am thrilled with the results, as are my two teammates who were sized as well. Interestingly enough, Nate and I both had a rivet pop out in the same game a couple weeks ago. Mine was a bronze one, his was a regular one... I am so happy with them, I probably will be ordering a second pair for inline shortly.

Oh, and to Marcello: Anytime you want to borrow my sweet Eagle CUSTOM gloves, just let me know. All you gotta do is ask! :laugh:

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I moved a few months ago and still haven't found my point and shoot camera. :blush: (Maybe I'll take this to the smartphone thread, but dayum does the iphone bitchslap my Evo in that department...)

imag0113f.jpg

imag0114l.jpg

Jeff's fitting was a tricky one - his story is that he had been misfit a few times, bad situation all around. They kept on telling him he was a C width when in fact he wasn't - and he was getting longer skates on the longer foot to compensate for the narrower fit.

He ended up in a L 9.75 DAA/R 9.5 DAA. I believe he started to develop Haglund's so I went a bit wider on the heel.

But the tricky part for him was the ankle placement. As stated, his inner bones were way forward - couple that with really prominent ankle bones, we had to shift the padding 1" forward, pushing the entire quarter forward. If you were to put a pencil to both, it wouldn't be level.

Jeff - if you can, take a picture showing that.

why Clarino JR?

It's what he wanted?

Wow JR, that's extremely impressive. I'm curious as to what kind of courses you took in college or what kind of training you got to learn all of this?

Im curious JR....is it roughly $100 above retail price to get these customs done up? Or 1$100 + fitting charge, above retails? Am leaning towards getting some done...Thanks!

My price differs from others, may be cheaper, may be more. That being said, ask whoever you're leaning towards.

Please, guys, there is a reason why I am selective when it comes to doing these things. I don't work out of a store so I don't make anything on the skate. This is nothing new. The powers that be won't allow me to do that, so that's that.

Just because I've posted two orders within a 6 month span of each other does not mean that I'm doing this full-time. I already feel bad enough asking for a fee, but it is what it is.

My price differs from others, may be cheaper, may be more. That being said, ask whoever you're leaning towards.

Please, guys, there is a reason why I am selective when it comes to doing these things. I don't work out of a store so I don't make anything on the skate. This is nothing new. The powers that be won't allow me to do that, so that's that.

Just because I've posted two orders within a 6 month span of each other does not mean that I'm doing this full-time. I already feel bad enough asking for a fee, but it is what it is.

Looking at the pure satisfaction of the customers with the results that you provide, the fee is WELL Warranted. In order to get the best, you must pay for the best. The best things in life aren't free.

why Clarino JR?

Since I'm supposed to be picking these up on Thurs. I can answer why Clarino.

JR and I discussed this and he gave me his thoughts. My desire was to maximize comfort and durability. I'm not too impressed with the other alternatives that were available. I'm not a fan of fabric liners. There are several threads kicking around that express concerns about the wear and breakdown of several of the newer high tech liners. My 10 year old son's old skates had one of these liners that had broken down, developed a hole and he was developing a sensitive friction point on his heel. Moisture wicking technology can be great in equipment, but in a skate where is it going to be wicked away to? I live in a very tropical, damp, humid and hot area where trapped moisture can lead to rot, mold and breakdown. Ironically if you look at the new APX they have Clarino at the top of the ankle and new Hydra-Max 2 for the rest. Clarino had been the industry standard for a long time and the new better than that options seem to be introduced with a great deal of hype and then disappear or are changed yet again.

These were for a local referee who had huge volume and width issues. He fit decently in the retail FL, but the problem was he needed skates soon and Bauer did not have anything in stock until June.

8 EE/B L

8 1/4 EE/B R

Pretty standard, however, we added some comfort foam, LS3 runners and a 1/16" heel lift.

flcustom.jpg

flcustom2.jpg

flcustom3.jpg

These are the last ones for the time being, unless The Concept comes to fruition...

They are for custom only. Just taller steel with a bit of a different shape, mainly in the heel. Looks more like Step XL.

They are for custom only. Just taller steel with a bit of a different shape, mainly in the heel. Looks more like Step XL.

I think it's supposed to trickle down to the retail level though.

The question is is the LS3 steel the same as LS2? Is it just the amount of steel that's different or is it a different kind all together?

Right; it is a pro-only option for those guys and EQMs who like Step Steel. It follows the Step Tuuk profile; it does look to be polished as well - it is of a different quality than your run-of-the-mill LS2. I will know the difference once I put a wheel to it.

LS3 imo holds a longer edge, and the same length of an edge as Step xl compared to ls2 or 2.1. There are two people that have it who come to us, and I see them just as often as i see the few that have step, and they are in here way less than people with ls2 etc. Could be a coincidence though. Seems to break just as easily as ls2 though, one guy broke two sets this season.

It's kinda like being in the Mafia - you can try to get out, but you never truly get out.

82a1ff6b-f36e-45a7-b686-ccec98cf3a19_zps

These are for MLSman; that crazy fool is on his 6th revision to his custom ticket. He wanted to go with APX2 this time, and normally we cut back lacing on them, but since the injected facing can't be cut, we went ahead and went with a double felt tongue which is bound on the sides. He also wanted to go with Custom+ so we had the boots undrilled and he provided the holders, and I mounted them today. It's a bit of old school and new school.

Special thanks goes to EvilPepe at the Florida Everblades Pro Shop, who processed this order. He's a great guy and took care of Simon and the others who got fitted by me a few months ago.

That all being said, I do not know if I will be doing this service at my new place of employment. It would have to be something I discuss with them.