Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

Custom XXXX Skates w/White Tongues

Imagine how it would feel if it they were truly customized for your feet. Even better.

I hear ya...but there is seriously no negative space or pressure points in the boot. The last of the XXXX is perfect for my foot. The differences with a custom molding of my foot would most likely be minute at best. I wore them again today and felt no pain at all. I worked on turns today, and was elated with the ability to make quick, sharp turns with ease. What an amazing boot.

Two-years old, but I figured this is a sensible evolution of the thread. These are the X:60s DarkStar and I cooked up:

dscn1023a.jpg

dscn1035e.jpg

T1 liner

dscn1029.jpg

Tongue detail

dscn1031gm.jpg

T1 outsole

dscn1027a.jpg

TotalEdge Comfort

dscn1033b.jpg

Reinforced stitching/eyerows

dscn1032tw.jpg

Here is the full spec rundown:

- 7 C/A left and right

- 3 stiffness

- 1/16" minicel padding from heel to top of boot

- 3/4" wider tongue (no I do not flop, nor did I request a longer tongue, it appears deceptively long)

- X:60 tongue with double insert and white felt backing

- T1 outsole

- T1 liner

- Pro TotalEdge Comfort at the top of the boot

- reinforced eyelets and eyerows

- Fusion steel

Excellent work by the Bauer people, and it was a lot of fun taking this process all the way to fruition with DarkStar. I don't know if I'll take them off my feet before get on the ice tomorrow.

Here is the full spec rundown:

- 7 C/A left and right

- 3 stiffness

- 1/16" minicel padding from heel to top of boot

- 3/4" wider tongue (no I do not flop, nor did I request a longer tongue, it appears deceptively long)

- X:60 tongue with double insert and white felt backing

- T1 outsole

- T1 liner

- Pro TotalEdge Comfort at the top of the boot

- reinforced eyelets and eyerows

- Fusion steel

Excellent work by the Bauer people, and it was a lot of fun taking this process all the way to fruition with DarkStar. I don't know if I'll take them off my feet before get on the ice tomorrow.

what a Frankenstein of a skate - great job stitching it together both of you!

Glad to hear you're happy with the skates & Bauer - I'm still waiting for my T1s (and less then happy so far), should have probably gone with X60 instead!

Curious - why didn't you keep the X60 abrason resistant material over the ankle quard & the top 2 eyelets - same as stock X60? T1 liner is fairly thin & appears to be prone to wearing out - maybe I just had an early production model (a lemon basically), but I managed to wear mine over the ankle guards to a hole in ~ 6 months...

Beautiful skates. Curious as to the benefit of "minicel padding".

Thanks. I have very bad tendinitis in the inner part of both of my skinny ankles, so this pretty much makes the skate wearable while also snugging up the fit from heel to the top of the boot.

what a Frankenstein of a skate - great job stitching it together both of you!

Glad to hear you're happy with the skates & Bauer - I'm still waiting for my T1s (and less then happy so far), should have probably gone with X60 instead!

Curious - why didn't you keep the X60 abrason resistant material over the ankle quard & the top 2 eyelets - same as stock X60? T1 liner is fairly thin & appears to be prone to wearing out - maybe I just had an early production model (a lemon basically), but I managed to wear mine over the ankle guards to a hole in ~ 6 months...

I've never really had issues with wear there, and I vastly prefer the felt-y sort of liner that the T1 offered. I discussed durability with DarkStar, and he has had no liner-wear issues on his T1s, which I believe are ~10 months old.

There was another customer who was trying skates on while mine were molding, and after asking about my skates and hearing the litany of alterations, he called them Frankensteins as well. My skates took about two months to be completed, how long have you been waiting?

I've never really had issues with wear there, and I vastly prefer the felt-y sort of liner that the T1 offered. I discussed durability with DarkStar, and he has had no liner-wear issues on his T1s, which I believe are ~10 months old.

yeah - we talked as well, not sure what's up with my current T1s, but it is what it is - in addition to wearing the liner to a hole near the top eyelets (which could be just my own personal issue related to poor fit) just recently I noticed that at the very top of the ankle guard the liner wore off & finally tore.

This is why for customs I asked for X60 style abrason liner at the top - I wear socks and so didn't particularly care what's up there as long as it holds up well to wear & tear. The time will tell how well St. Jerome can put that together...

There was another customer who was trying skates on while mine were molding, and after asking about my skates and hearing the litany of alterations, he called them Frankensteins as well. My skates took about two months to be completed, how long have you been waiting?

again it could be a local issue, but all in all I had initiated the process in July, somewhere half way a "half baked" stuff was produced, didn't work, now waiting for the take #2 :(

That's a shame, hopefully everything works out and you end up with a satisfying pair of skates. i also had the counters cut 1/4".

Troy, how would you say they feel compared to the stock X:60's as far as weight or even response? Is there a large difference between the X60 outsole and the TO? I've been considering swapping the fusion runners into my X:60 LE's since my stock runners rust despite the fact that I dry them and air them out after every time I skate.

May I ask, what the 'Pro TotalEdge Comfort at the top of the boot' exactly is ?

same as in T1s: minicel foam over the top lip of the quarters - see the bottom 2 pics in the series.

thanx...got that...and the '1/16" minicel padding from heel to top of boot' would be then? The stripe inside, that goes up, with the Reflex Tendon lettering?

I prefer the term "Hybrid X:60" over Frankensteins! These skates are an amazing job by the custom department in St. Jerome. troy took the time to decide which options would build the best boot for him based on his narrow foot. A retail X:60 D width was too wide and sloppy on the fit. Although looking at a C/A boot, you wonder if it's too narrow, the fit on his looked great by the spread of the laces from top to bottom. Adding the T1 liner was a touch of genius by troy. The durability of the liner and its moisture wicking qualities are excellent. This is an incredibly well built skate.

Adding the T1 liner was a touch of genius by troy. The durability of the liner and its moisture wicking qualities are excellent.

"moisture wicking qualities" - yes, agreed.

"durability" - in my personal experience I can't agree with this, so NO by a long stretch in my books.

It's just a thin piece of cloth, it holds up fine when there's no rubbing, but as soon as any of it occurs all bets are off. even ignoring my issues with the holes around the eyelets, when the liner wore off on the tendon guard I sort of gave up. granted I've got big calfs & wear mesh sochs that are quite hard, but nothing ever happened to clarino after years of use so I think I've got my reasons to be dissapointed.

The same model of skate fits different feet differently. Your issue was with the skate coming around the top of your foot too much when laced. troy won't have that problem as the skate was built to avoid that happening.

The same model of skate fits different feet differently. Your issue was with the skate coming around the top of your foot too much when laced. troy won't have that problem as the skate was built to avoid that happening.

completely agree on this point and not even bringing it up again

the issue with the tendon guard is however different and the one I can't explain by 'improper fit' :(

completely agree on this point and not even bringing it up again

the issue with the tendon guard is however different and the one I can't explain by 'improper fit' :(

You seem to have explained it yourself in your previous post with: mesh socks that are quite hard.

Had two and a half hours of ice today, and literally everything that was done to them did exactly what I had hoped and expected. The heel pocket needs to pack down some more, and once that happens they will be absolutely dialed in. The only thing altered once exiting the box are the insoles. I had been skating in SF grey and yellow for the past few years, but they altered my foot's positioning too much so I went with my stock (non-Sidas) G35 insoles. They are a little bit beefier than the stock insoles, and provide more volume in the toe end of the arch, which I need too pretty much center my left foot/ankle. DarkStar will tell you, I have some dagger-like forward pitched ankle bones.

JR, are you still doing customer customs down in the Tampa area?

DarkStar, how about you up in NJ?

Nope.

Only do them on a case-by-case basis, and refuse more than I do. Like I've stated quite a few times, it is not worth my time.

I did a pair for STi here on MSH after seeing him go through a bunch of problems, and I'm flying out to LA to sort Jeff out (same situation)

JR, are you still doing customer customs down in the Tampa area?

DarkStar, how about you up in NJ?

Yes, I am. troy came from Philly to have his skates done.

T1 liner

dscn1029.jpg

Quesiton for people in the know: has there been a change in T1 liner from the first produciton release in April? Or is the T1 liner that's being put on custom skates slightly different from the retail version?

It appears that the lettering is peeling off much easier on custom version & the grain appears to be more rought as well (you can see distinct thread lines where the retail version is smooth) and overall feels a bit thicker?

Other then that it seems to work just the same so I'm curious what's up with that?