Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DBLMINR

Stinky Gear

I was just wondering how often(if ever) do you wash or clean your gear, and how do you do it. I always hang my gear on a rack after a skate to dry out and wash it from time to time. I know it's not going to smell like a bed of roses but i think there should be some hygiene involved some place.

I use Funk Free after each time I play, then leave my equipment out of the bag in the garage. In the summer, if I'm using the pressure washer, I'll put it on a low setting and spray the equipment, then lay them in the sun. Overall, it's not too odorous.

i've never thought of a pressure washer. i usually but my shin liners and elbow pads in the washer and put the shin pads themselves in the top rack of the dish washer. i'm still not sure what is the best way to wash the gloves,

I just use the anti bacterial fabreeze stuff and air my gear out after everytime I play. But I dunno how to get rid of stinky glove smell haha!

I made a little drying rack out of pvc. I just put all my stuff on that. I wash my shin pad liners if i feel like it. The drying rack makes a huge difference in drying them out as well as helping the smell a little bit.

Drying racks are essential. I don't understand dudes who never take their gear out of their bag after a game.

I never really wash any protective but I do spray with Lysol or Febreze when the mood strikes me.

Ya i hate those guys that leave the gear in the bag all day then get to the rink then open it up then it smells like a bag of ass. I have heard of guys filling there gloves up with shaving cream, then putting them on and working it in with there hands. I guess it is supposed to condition the gloves as well as get the smell out but i dont know anyone who has tried it

I always air my stuff out. But lately after I cleaned up the closet in our extra room, I've hung everything up in there and stuck a portable heater in there with it. Dries everything nice and quick...and if I wanted to freshen everything a bit, I just stuff some dryer sheets into the pads. I do wash my gear though...probably 3 times a year by dunking it all in the bathtub with some detergent.

I have washed all my gear but my helmet in the dish washer top rack. I even tried the gloves vapor XX because I couldn't take them anymore. Smell is gone and they came out fine.

sk8

I bring my bag into the garage, unzip it, and leave it. The skates are the only thing I hang upside down on a rack I have. The rest of the gear just sits in the bag, smells a bit, but not too bad...I don't mind the stench, it's the sign of a real man :)

air outside after every session. Doesnt go back into the bag till the day before the next one. I made a rack and have some tarp to cover it from the rain (doesnt rain in Perth that often), and there isnt much smell. Gloves are washed once every 2-3 months with disinfectant.

I may try the bathtub one next time...

i may also try the bath tub trick as well. My gloves are the worst right now cause i didnt want to harm them in the washing machine. Its good to hear that some of us are trying to keep the stench to a tolerable level.lol

I usually start washing my stuff when it smells a little funky, and i can't stand the hockey smell, so its usually pretty often that i do wash my stuff. shin liners, elbows, gloves, shouldies, pants, all go into my washing machine. i've got a front loader washing machine so it doesn't have an agitator on it, and its not harmful at all on any of my gear. throw a couple scoops of oxi clean in there as well as the regular detergent and everything comes out smelling good again.

air outside after every session. Doesnt go back into the bag till the day before the next one. I made a rack and have some tarp to cover it from the rain (doesnt rain in Perth that often), and there isnt much smell. Gloves are washed once every 2-3 months with disinfectant.

I may try the bathtub one next time...

i may also try the bath tub trick as well. My gloves are the worst right now cause i didnt want to harm them in the washing machine. Its good to hear that some of us are trying to keep the stench to a tolerable level.lol

Skip the gloves on that one though fellas...not a good idea....but just a little soap...give her a mild scrub and let er sit. Works great, the water is just dirty as all hell afterwards. If you can just let it hang out of the sun, otherwise you get that crusty feeling to everything.

Anything that isn't synthetic leather gets sprayed with 99% isopropanol, then left in front of a fan.

Every once in a while, I spray everything (PU leathers included) with NOK-Out. It's the only really effective enzymatic deodorizer I've found.