Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mdamson

Jofa/RBK Elbow Pad Numbering System

How are the Jofa elbow pads numbered from year to year prior to RBK buying them out. Do they start out at the low price point items at the lower 1000 numbers (eg. the 9000 series are higher protection/quality than the 8000 series). Also what about within the various 1000 series (eg. 9025 vs, 9035 vs. 9066 vs. 9135 etc.). Also, how about now that they are RBK? Are the 9K series equivalent to the old 9000 series numbers?

This is where I become confused. In Jofa 9000 series elbow pads alone, I have found the following model numbers:

What are the differences in all of these pads? Does anyone have any references that show the differences, or are these the same pads produced in different years?

This is where I become confused. In Jofa 9000 series elbow pads alone, I have found the following model numbers:

What are the differences in all of these pads? Does anyone have any references that show the differences, or are these the same pads produced in different years?

As they ascend, the pad becomes more protective. Its the same as the current RBK series only the RBK's are 1k, 2k, etc. Here are some current models.

i use the 9066 and they're probably the most protective elbow pad i've ever seen.. they have dual elbow caps and 4 straps. I don't know about 9077-9177 though, are they more protective than 9066?

Regarding Jofa branded gear, this is what I recall:

The ##25 has no upper arm/tricep pad.

The ##35 has the half upper arm pad (just the outside) with a small molded plastic upper arm deflector stitched on.

The ##44 has the full upper arm pad (reached between arm and body).

The ##66 was the odd one. Its caps were completely different and were never wrapped (Not officially NHL worthy).

The ##77 is the 44 with extended cuffs for players with long arms.

The first two digits started changing every year over the last few years with changes to the line as a whole. The 50s were unchanged for years, and they were slightly off-white with black trim. After the merger/acquisitions, they went to 80, and the pads changed to white with blue trim, the cap's vinyl wrap turned black and exposed some plastic. They also introduced rivets to secure the partial wrap. When it turned 90, the wrap was changed to white, but was still riveted. The 91s, I think were the last, and may not have had any hard cap (somebody please verify that).

Other models, such as 2500, 5500, etc (that don't follow the above numbering systems) were lower-end, Wal-mart type stuff (avoid them, and the low end Jofa stuff, too).

Ladies, do I have at least one number right?

No one is. I just have no other purpose in life.

Looking here it appears that the ##35 did away with the exposed upper arm plastic--Probably changed the same time as the lower arm flap. Likely starting with the 80's line, the plastic was made broader and sandwiched inside foam. One downside to the redesign, was the straps no longer looped through tough plastic rings, and were instead passed through the brittle protruding edge of the exposed cap. In the link you can see how the ##66 differs from the rest.

A2rhino's pro 9044s should be just like the retail 9144s.

Lester, thanks for the great information. I currently have the 9035's and was wondering what the differences between all of the variations were, and you have provided that information exactly. Thanks again.

Great job Lester. Talk about hitting the nail right on the head. Efficiency is your second name and your calling.

Wait, there's more...

When they were branded RBK, they were upgraded with RBK playdry liners. The 2005-2006 line was:

8k = 9177

7k = 9144

6k = 9135

5k = 9144 (plain liner)

4k = 9135 (plain liner)

3k = 8035, different colors.

No ##66 or ##25 equivalents.

This year, things get really messy with not only different liners, but caps and foam, too:

9k = ##44 style upper-arm, something similar to a 90 series cap, so no strap loop, but with the 91 series tip cover and extended outer-padding. No rivets. Mesh exterior, playdry liner.

6k = ##35 style upper-arm, full-wrap cap with no protruding edge, so uses floating plastic loop, and 91 series tip. Large ventilation holes in cap. Still one rivet used for tip covering. Probably with playdry as in previous year.

5k = 9k without playdry. Less advanced padding (maybe lesser cover-padding, too).

4k = 6k (2007) without playdry. Less advanced padding.

3k = 2005-2006 3k in updated colors.

No ##77 equivalent.

It's getting too complicated even for me to follow.

uhh...do you work for Rbk/Jofa. For the love of god at least tell me you aren't pulling this stuff off the top of your head, nice info though!

I don't work for RBK, I just browse a lot of hockey equipment. I didn't even get all the details right. The difference between the ##44 and ##35 upper arm is not how much it wraps around, but the presence/absence of tab that covers your joint in the open position. It was a lower-end model that lacked inner arm coverage. This topic was long overdue. We need to sort out the shoulders and shins.

Lester, does your knowledge go beyond elbow pads, or is this your calling in life?

(Sorry, someone with that kind of protective knowledge deserves at least a little bit of ribbing...in good fun our course...after all we're all gear heads or we wouldn't be here.)

Wait, there's more...

When they were branded RBK, they were upgraded with RBK playdry liners. The 2005-2006 line was:

8k = 9177

7k = 9144

6k = 9135

5k = 9144 (plain liner)

4k = 9135 (plain liner)

3k = 8035, different colors.

No ##66 or ##25 equivalents.

This year, things get really messy with not only different liners, but caps and foam, too:

9k = ##44 style upper-arm, something similar to a 90 series cap, so no strap loop, but with the 91 series tip cover and extended outer-padding. No rivets. Mesh exterior, playdry liner.

6k = ##35 style upper-arm, full-wrap cap with no protruding edge, so uses floating plastic loop, and 91 series tip. Large ventilation holes in cap. Still one rivet used for tip covering. Probably with playdry as in previous year.

5k = 9k without playdry. Less advanced padding (maybe lesser cover-padding, too).

4k = 6k (2007) without playdry. Less advanced padding.

3k = 2005-2006 3k in updated colors.

No ##77 equivalent.

It's getting too complicated even for me to follow.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I need something cleared up before I buy some new elbows. In terms of protection, are this year's 5Ks equivalent to the Jofa 9044? Or do the 9044 compare to the 9K? I know the 9K has the new liner and the 5K and 9044 do not, but does the 5K still stack up to the 9044 in terms of protection? I'm just trying to decide if I should get the 9044s or the 5Ks. The 9044s are on clearance at one of the LHS, and the 5Ks are at a different LHS about 40 mins away.

Just find Pro model 5044's made in sweden........you will never have to buy another pair of elbow pads in your life..... :biggrin: