Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duckjob

Labeda hummer chasis

Has anyone skated on the new hummer chasis? Even with the way the wheels are offset and the boot being shaved, it seems like it would still be a bit awkward.

When companies are forced to change, it's interesting the "marketing" that is created....

Justin, Im guessing you're refering to the hi-lo patent and if so why couldnt Labeda stick with the Sensor? I dont really get the hummer chassis, I doubt they'll sell any aftermarket.

When companies are forced to change, it's interesting the "marketing" that is created....

Its funny you say that justin. A Few months ago when I was looking to make my purchase, I was asking around the labeda message boards for opionions on the sensor, and the moderator kept telling me, "just wait a couple months, our new frame is going to revolutionize the way you skate" and other morketing jiberish. I'm glad I didn't wait, especialy since I got the sensor and dynasties off of a g-90 for $150

is this the frame with all 80mm wheels? or is that the tour skate? what's this one all about.

its the chassis that comes on the new Tour skates. It has all 80mm wheels.

ah, i don't see how this will go over. i thought the whole idea of hi-lo was to have large wheels for speed and small for quickness/cornering. this hummer thing just kills all of that. you'll have a hard time getting up to speed.

duckjob....where are these labeda boards you speak of? i need to find some axles for my old frames.

ah, i don't see how this will go over. i thought the whole idea of hi-lo was to have large wheels for speed and small for quickness/cornering. this hummer thing just kills all of that. you'll have a hard time getting up to speed.

duckjob....where are these labeda boards you speak of? i need to find some axles for my old frames.

The idea is that the larger wheels create a larger contact patch which means more grip throughout your stride. More stride length = more speed. Which is great when you're going in a straight line, not so great when you're turning.

My opinion, stick with hi-lo and get a skate that gives you your ankles back and allows you to get greater toe snap. Im on D1C's right now, granted they are a little heavier then my last skates (Vapor XV's with a Gear chassis) but Im skating faster because Im getting more from my stride.

The message boards are at labeda.com , but they are pretty much dead, mostly trolls and the very infrequent post. If you need axles for a sensor frame, epuck.com sells them. I needed some, and if I remember correctly, they were like $5.50 for a pair.

5.50 a pair isn't too bad. before all i could find was hockeyone (i think) selling them for 5.75 for one. plus shipping on top of that. i think i just may end up dremling the top of them into flat head screwdriver heads.

Because Sensor is covered under our patent...

so.. if the sensor is covered and hi-lo is covered.. how is it that ccm and bauer/nike all have skates that use a hi-lo chassis and nobody busts their balls? Is it just political or something?

Just curious, I find this stuff fascinating. :)

well, I would have to assume they are next. I think most of it has to do with the fact that Tour would pose the biggest threat to Mission. Now that they have the WORST chassis available, taht pretty much kills them as 2nd place, and that allows room for Nike/Bauer to move in. At that time, if I were Mission, I would kill them off too. Let them go crawling back to the guy that made the rocker chassis for them.

so.. if the sensor is covered and hi-lo is covered.. how is it that ccm and bauer/nike all have skates that use a hi-lo chassis and nobody busts their balls? Is it just political or something?

Just curious, I find this stuff fascinating. :)

Maybe the others pay (patent) licensing fees. That's the way you get most out of your patent.

One thing that does come to mind, is that the Hummer Chassis, will not be very sellable in the general marketplace, as it will require that any skate boot used as a "conversion" be grooved out like the Tour Beemer, in order for the wheels to fit.

This means that only certain skates will have enough "meat" in the sole of the foot, to allow this modification....and who knows what that will do to the structural integrity of the boot itself.

One thing that does come to mind, is that the Hummer Chassis, will not be very sellable in the general marketplace, as it will require that any skate boot used as a "conversion" be grooved out like the Tour Beemer, in order for the wheels to fit.

This means that only certain skates will have enough "meat" in the sole of the foot, to allow this modification....and who knows what that will do to the structural integrity of the boot itself.

Exactly, Labeda IMO is banking on this working from an OEM standpoint. They kinda have to be if you ask me, no one is gonna mod there skate to run a new chassis.

Justin... do mission own the rights to Hi-Lo and therefore other companies cannot use this name/ or design? But can they use a similar split level chassis, or does this still warrent patent payments?

Do you think that CCM will pay for use of another design, or actually use R&D to make a new style of chassis (i myself doubt they are going to get this deep into roller hockey)

I love all this stuff too.. fascinating!

Justin,

I am just curious, and not sure what you can, and can't answer.

But did Mission develop the 80 mm x 72 mm setup concept (HiLo, Shifter, etc.) or were they just the first ones smart enough to patent it?

Do you know the patent #'s, and how the Sensor infringes?

What about the long gone Easton Big Wheel Chassis? Does it infringe?

Just curious about these things....

chris

i think Mission created the hi-lo, i remember them being the first while everyone had flat chassis and easton with the big-wheel one.

For the record..Labeda created, developed, and marketed their the Hi/Lo chassis before Mission acquired the patent rights...It would be interesting to see this challenged in court, because there was another Hi/lo chassis being sold commercially by Kuzak at about the same time. It may even be that Mission purchased the rights from this other company(do not believe it was Kuzak who developed it).

However if any of these designs were sold commercially before the patent application had been filed, then that would most likely invalidate the patent ...under the rules of "existing prior art", the design would become "common domain".

We had a Labeda Hi/Lo mounted on a Mission VSI boot about three months before Mission introduced their new line with the Hi/Lo's at the USARS Nationals in Demoine Iowa in 1997.....the Kuzak "split" chassis(76/68) was also available at that time.

Justin,

Could you provide the number for this patent? I would love to read it.

Thanks

Hi fellas, saw a couple people posted that they couldnt find axles fro the sensor frames. www. inlinewarehouse.com. they are like $1 each, with free shipping.