Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

The A7's are in the building, and they have the tightest tolerances and action, yet. We'll be shipping out as many as possible today and tomorrow. I'm in Vegas at the Hockey Show Monday to Wednesday night. Earliest orders ship first. :)

hey keith, think I could pick mine up in person, maybe? I live in Vegas :)

Yep, no problem. The show's at the South Point, and I'll email my number.

sounds good. It'll be quicker than shipping, I'm sure :)

Here's me having fun. This is the concept drawing for our new aggro frame, which will be licensed. As you can see, a lighter weight version of this with mods for specific use and hockey mounting, will make a great goalie skate. This is also the first commercial look at unequal rocker arm/wheel pairing. The Fiziks frames that we did with Skatepile.com a while back, were on nine of the ten finalists in the XGames, and ruled the world for years under Eito and Takesa Yasutako.

Caffeine-Aggro1.jpg

I think what would really help convince people on Sprungs is a video clip that highlighted the skating action/pattern of the chassis.

Like Newron did ... but their video sent me the other way, as they looked so bad for cross overs. I know the Sprung is different and with a smaller length, so I am far more "sold" ... but I just need convincing!!!

I've been on a flat chassis for soooo long that I just can't bear to drop $$$ without seeing them in action.

Any plans Keith?

I think what would really help convince people on Sprungs is a video clip that highlighted the skating action/pattern of the chassis.

Like Newron did ... but their video sent me the other way, as they looked so bad for cross overs. I know the Sprung is different and with a smaller length, so I am far more "sold" ... but I just need convincing!!!

I've been on a flat chassis for soooo long that I just can't bear to drop $$$ without seeing them in action.

Any plans Keith?

Don't the Newron frames say something like "Not intended for hockey use"?

Anyways Keith, has there been any thought to making different strength "springs" based on weight class? Granted I have only been using the Sprungs for a week, the red spring seems pretty stiff to me or is this based on it needing to get broken in?

Also much thanks to the product so far, in the short week I have used this, already able to hockey stop, cross over and gain speed much better than I could in my short time using a Tri-D. As someone who is coming over from Ice Hockey I was very surprised at the ease of transition, for sure a product that lives up to the hype.

Here's me having fun. This is the concept drawing for our new aggro frame, which will be licensed. As you can see, a lighter weight version of this with mods for specific use and hockey mounting, will make a great goalie skate. This is also the first commercial look at unequal rocker arm/wheel pairing. The Fiziks frames that we did with Skatepile.com a while back, were on nine of the ten finalists in the XGames, and ruled the world for years under Eito and Takesa Yasutako.

Caffeine-Aggro1.jpg

anti-rocker on a lever, I wonder what that feels like :o

Vert is far from the big thing in aggressive skating like it was in those days. Seems to me that its ALL about skating the streets and schools and hitting big drops and combination grinds now. A lot of kids are rolling on two wheel setups either by manufacturer design or by blocking wheels 2 and 3.

I guess you probably know all this though

Any plans Keith?

+1 on the video, its a great idea.

Any plans Keith?

I think, it would really help me and others to decide to order this frames. Actually, i've been looking on the net for some video-demonstration or something like that, but i found nothing.......

Caffeine-Aggro1.jpg

Vert is far from the big thing in aggressive skating like it was in those days. Seems to me that its ALL about skating the streets and schools and hitting big drops and combination grinds now. A lot of kids are rolling on two wheel setups either by manufacturer design or by blocking wheels 2 and 3.

XGame park courses and half-pipes killed TV with boredom. There is no insurance on earth that would cover televising what they actually do. It's more like parkour with very slippery feet. Amidst the ongoing two wheel monster grind gap, there has always been a specific desire for a better four wheel Fiziks. With this one, you can still make it anti-rocker by leaving off the center wheels or using smaller ones. But the lift and land of four spring loaded wheels plus the maneuverability, not unlike Sprungs, is a major factor. Lots of Pros still use Fiziks and I heard the "my knees and my back" testimonial from one a couple of weeks ago, RE landing. Then there's the reduction of hard little wheel drub on your whole body. I've been out of the category for years, but this will be a top, top company product, and it's four wheels on the ground they're wanting. I've been working on the odd size wheel paring for about five years and it does a ton of things that same size wheels can't do, besides taking up much less space. :)

Caffeine-Aggro1.jpg

XGame park courses and half-pipes killed TV with boredom. There is no insurance on earth that would cover televising what they actually do. It's more like parkour with very slippery feet. Amidst the ongoing two wheel monster grind gap, there has always been a specific desire for a better four wheel Fiziks. With this one, you can still make it anti-rocker by leaving off the center wheels or using smaller ones. But the lift and land of four spring loaded wheels plus the maneuverability, not unlike Sprungs, is a major factor. Lots of Pros still use Fiziks and I heard the "my knees and my back" testimonial from one a couple of weeks ago, RE landing. Then there's the reduction of hard little wheel drub on your whole body. I've been out of the category for years, but this will be a top, top company product, and it's four wheels on the ground they're wanting. I've been working on the odd size wheel paring for about five years and it does a ton of things that same size wheels can't do, besides taking up much less space. :)

oh yeah I cant get into that stuff anymore either, its too hard core. In fact I have a pair of like new USDs in my closet :D

If it works like you say it will it'll be a hot product I bet. The Fiziks name isnt still around though is it? Do you have a company lined up to partner with for these or are you looking to distribute them yourself? The good news is about those kinds of skates is that swapping out frames is very common and boots are available without frames, someting I wish some hockey companies would consider.

All A7 orders are going out tomorrow. we spent the time since Friday assembling and packaging and packing. More of the same today.

As for boots with no frames, I think it's a wonderful idea. ;) The aggro boots have a UFS universal mount system with a standard trough and an inset and screw at each end for all frames to fit into for mounting. The width of the trough and the distance between the two screws just happen to be the dimensions of my second aggro prototype.This was a flat frame with two mounts vs ramped frames with two and three screws each end mounted seriously by hand with supplied hardware. The prototypes got mounted on every boot company's boots, and Salomon also had a flat frame, so the UFS system voted on by all the companies is a Sprung/Salomon setup with the mount insets, at the screws, provided by the other companies. Aggro was and is much more accessable than hockey, especially if the pros like your product, cause they are half the industry. Both of my aggro prototypes were HOME MADE. The rocker arms on both were made from re-machined and tempered roller casters. I found the right casters then designed the frames to fit them from existing aluminum channeling for the first pair, and very simply machined Delrin (bad choice) for the second set. I showed up just as the UFS discussion was starting.

The UFS system won't work for hockey boots, and ice mounts are the really the best solution, buts so many sizes!!@# ;)

Just a few quick questions now that the A7s are ready to go ...

I've seen a number of pics with black Sprungs. Are they still only available in white and there

are just that many people painting them?

I have an old pair of Bauer Air 90s sitting around that I was thinking of trying some Sprungs

out with. I can't find a size printed but they look and fit about a Mission 9.5. I guess that would make it

work with the A7?

Are these maybe too old or not worth it (any place to buy just boots to get something newer?)

I think the idea of Sprungs is great and don't know anyone who has them (Virginia). I guess I'll have

to be the first one around here.

Thanks.

Just dyed the frames black last night, made a decent mess of the dye in the kitchen, but they look good :)

Once the FlexLite 12s get here I'll get 'em mounted and snap some pics!

*so stoked*

Im sure its been mentioned, but is it ok to bake skates with sprungs on them?

It works best to take the rocker arm assemblies with wheels out first. You still have a flat surface with the frames so you can sit with your feet flat while they cool. You can also check quickly, when they first come out, to make sure the four corners of the frame touch the floor. Or if it's twisted a little, that's the time to torque the boot and frame straight a little so that you have full floor contact. This also saves your rocker arms and wheels a cooking. If you're doing it in your own oven, like many of us, use one or two sheets of cardboard between the boots and the oven shelf.

Im sure its been mentioned, but is it ok to bake skates with sprungs on them?

It works best to take the rocker arm assemblies with wheels out first. You still have a flat surface with the frames so you can sit with your feet flat while they cool. You can also check quickly, when they first come out, to make sure the four corners of the frame touch the floor. Or if it's twisted a little, that's the time to torque the boot and frame straight a little so that you have full floor contact. This also saves your rocker arms and wheels a cooking. If you're doing it in your own oven, like many of us, use one or two sheets of cardboard between the boots and the oven shelf.

Thanks for the advice! I will be doin in my home oven, i also read somewhere about putting a damn cloth over the skates? is this right?

Thanks for the advice! I will be doin in my home oven, i also read somewhere about putting a damn cloth over the skates? is this right?

using a damp cloth to cover up the skates so that the skate boots dont get burnt. I made the mistake once of leaving my wicked 7 skates in there, and forgot to turn the heat off as well... wear pads were melted like swiss cheese.

using a damp cloth to cover up the skates so that the skate boots dont get burnt. I made the mistake once of leaving my wicked 7 skates in there, and forgot to turn the heat off as well... wear pads were melted like swiss cheese.

haha yeh sorry meant damp, i thought it was you i read sayiing to do this, thanks for the advice ill give it a go.

It was someone else that suggested it, I'm not that hockey savvy to try new things unless its been tried and tested. Only thing I have tried on my own is the epoxy thing.

Give it a go, wont hurt.

Just broke two rocker arms in my last tournament. Need to get replacements now. Thats the bad thing with these frames. As much as i love using them, they break easy and are a b*tch to fix.

Just broke two rocker arms in my last tournament. Need to get replacements now. Thats the bad thing with these frames. As much as i love using them, they break easy and are a b*tch to fix.

Are you using the new model or the old one?

I'd like to get sprung but the only spare skates I have are crapped out Mission BSX. So I'm planning on buying a pair of skates to put sprung on. I'm looking for used skates for cheap, hopefully, but am open to any new skates suggestions that aren't ridiculous (such as buying 500 dollar ice skates to put wheels on...)

My first time so I've no idea what's going on. Any suggestions?