Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blues_91

Hefter helmet "coming soon" to thepenaltybox.com

It was talked about a bit here: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?sh...pic=7931&st=105

The helmet DOES look pretty cool. I actually talked to Hefter via e-mail as well. He had said they're waiting for certification. Pegged around August for a release date, but apparently the Penalty Box has an early lead on them?

The Penalty box IS notoriously expensive, however, that price is about what Hefter approximated.

I'd wait to buy one till they are out there and reviewed. Heck we were not even alowed to touch it when it was displayed at the trade shows, nevermind put one on.

Looks nice though.

stores may advertise that it is coming soon to get the buzz out there, and draw attention... but without HECC/CSA approval, nobody will have it on their shelf.

I'd wait to buy one till they are out there and reviewed. Heck we were not even alowed to touch it when it was displayed at the trade shows, nevermind put one on.

Looks nice though.

That really bothered me. As did the 25 piece minimum order.

That really bothered me. As did the 25 piece minimum order.

The rep i deal with made no mention of a 25 piece min order. We were pretty much able to order ones and twos.

That's what Jimmy said and they wanted me to sign up as a dealer before the trade shows, having never seen the product. I wanted to give them a chance but they've been pretty difficult to deal with. Maybe they finally figured out their product isn't as desireable as they thought.

A helmet that still isn't certified yet and costs more than the Bauer 8000 is a very tough sell.

I am guessing that they didn't want anyone handling the display because it was likely a proto-type. When I talked to Hefter via e-mail, he made it sound like they were just starting pre-production phases.

Plus, as a start up, it's gotta be tough to hit the ground running (distribution chains, getting your name out there, etc). Several great products never make it into the world because of things like that.

Me? I think it's pretty pricey at $139 (you can get an Itech100 or the newer style Jofa for under $60, and those offer great protection). However, I do like the looks (which is not at the top of my list when considering gear, but it IS on the list) and I have to ask how often one buys a helmet, so maybe I'll plunk down on the big cha-ching helmet. If nothing else, it'll likely be a conversation piece.

That all said, I think I see this becoming the Carbster of the new millenium. Great product that doesn't look like it will ever catch on (although, it looks better than the Carbster - IMMO, and I think the Carbster suffers from the" one size fits all" mentality).

In 3-5 years, it's quite possible that you'll be able to buy them at closeout prices if Hefter doesn't watch it.

i thikn it looks like the 8000, but uglier, it wont beat the comfort level of bauer 8000

There is no way you can decide if this is going to be more comfortable by looking at a picture. Obviously from your 20+ posts on the 8000 helmet alone, you like it. We get the point.

That's what Jimmy said and they wanted me to sign up as a dealer before the trade shows, having never seen the product. I wanted to give them a chance but they've been pretty difficult to deal with. Maybe they finally figured out their product isn't as desireable as they thought.

A helmet that still isn't certified yet and costs more than the Bauer 8000 is a very tough sell.

Yea, I even offered to buy 10 but they were firm on the 25. I told them to pack sand, way too risky for something that may bomb and become dust collectors. IMO, not a great way to get your unknown product on the market. They haven't contacted me to offer a lower booking quantity yet. Even still, I may pass. It doesn't sound like they have their SH1T together.

i just thaught people wanted to know, sorry if it offended u or sumthin

take a chill pill bro, you have more posts in 2 days than I have in over thirty days. This board is low key, you should be too :D.

You don't need to mention the 8000 in every helmet post you make either, which it feels like you are doing.

I did the e-mail routine to Hefter as well. The thing that will probably make or break this product is the new liner material they are using - "zorbium". They are saying this is a much better product for absorbing both high and low impact hits. If this is true and the helmet is found to be a safer helmet that the current crop of CCMs, Bauers, etc. then they will have something. If that is not the case I do not see how they will break into a market that is dominated by a select few. For me personally, I really want to see what the test results are. My son suffered a severe concussion playing soccer in 2003 and the doctor has been adamant that he play only sports with good protective headgear. If Hefter can back up the marketing I'll be in line.