Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingofnooyork

Foot issue with skates

I recently picked up a pair of Bauer MX3s. Love them to death but i noticed a consistent annoyance relative to the anatomy of my left foot and the Bauer Supreme line.

On my left foot just above my big toe there is some more pressure then there is on the right foot. Obviously i understand most people's feet are not symmetrical and i'm not surprised with mine. Just want to say that i've been more than pleased with the comfort level of the supreme line. The issue im experiencing though is bizarre. Because of the pressure throughout the game my foot almost feels like it's falling asleep. Im not sure if there's a pressure point/nerve there or maybe there's blood vessel not allowing proper flow in my foot. By the end of the game my foot is basically numb, no pain just loss of feeling and it does effect my feel on the ice in the 3rd period at times.

Just want to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and if punching it in the area has solved the issue? It's something i can live and i dont want to mess up the new wheels!

I recently picked up a pair of Bauer MX3s. Love them to death but i noticed a consistent annoyance relative to the anatomy of my left foot and the Bauer Supreme line.

On my left foot just above my big toe there is some more pressure then there is on the right foot. Obviously i understand most people's feet are not symmetrical and i'm not surprised with mine. Just want to say that i've been more than pleased with the comfort level of the supreme line. The issue im experiencing though is bizarre. Because of the pressure throughout the game my foot almost feels like it's falling asleep. Im not sure if there's a pressure point/nerve there or maybe there's blood vessel not allowing proper flow in my foot. By the end of the game my foot is basically numb, no pain just loss of feeling and it does effect my feel on the ice in the 3rd period at times.

Just want to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and if punching it in the area has solved the issue? It's something i can live and i dont want to mess up the new wheels!

Ahhh! I hate to say this, but... it sounds like it's not wide enough/long enough for your left foot. I had the same issues with my NXGs. My right foot would constantly fall asleep around the toe-box area, but I ignored it. Not smart... I developed a taylor's bunion because of it. You need a ¼ to ½ size longer or a size wider. You can't punch the toebox. You'll only melt the plastic.

To compensate for the pressure/discomfort, I noticed that I was curling my toes even without consciously doing it (I caught myself doing it when I attended a public session and I was standing still--I thought to myself, "Why am I curling my toes?").

One possible solution you can try is to loosen the bottom of your laces as much as you can. If you lace with an "under-over" the eyelet, switch it to "over-under" the eyelet. Also, bake the skate and stand up (don't move around). It'll stretch out the boot a bit. But... again... it most likely won't work (didn't for me).

OR

You can try removing the insole that comes with the MX3. I remember the NXGs come with tabs along the insole. You can try bending them down underneath the insole or remove them completely. That MAY give you just enough room for your toe.

Ahhh! I hate to say this, but... it sounds like it's not wide enough/long enough for your left foot. I had the same issues with my NXGs. My right foot would constantly fall asleep around the toe-box area, but I ignored it. Not smart... I developed a taylor's bunion because of it. You need a ¼ to ½ size longer or a size wider. You can't punch the toebox. You'll only melt the plastic.

To compensate for the pressure/discomfort, I noticed that I was curling my toes even without consciously doing it (I caught myself doing it when I attended a public session and I was standing still--I thought to myself, "Why am I curling my toes?").

One possible solution you can try is to loosen the bottom of your laces as much as you can. If you lace with an "under-over" the eyelet, switch it to "over-under" the eyelet. Also, bake the skate and stand up (don't move around). It'll stretch out the boot a bit. But... again... it most likely won't work (didn't for me).

OR

You can try removing the insole that comes with the MX3. I remember the NXGs come with tabs along the insole. You can try bending them down underneath the insole or remove them completely. That MAY give you just enough room for your toe.

Yes sounds similar as i had the same issue with my TOs. Im not sure the spot is in the toebox though. I feel like it's just before it. I dont feel like a bunion or growth with form as there is no abrasion or pain. Great possible solutions though, thanks for sharing. Going to try the skate lacing one. Because the MX3 is such an anatomical boot you can prolly get away with a less tight lacing by the feet.

Yes sounds similar as i had the same issue with my TOs. Im not sure the spot is in the toebox though. I feel like it's just before it. I dont feel like a bunion or growth with form as there is no abrasion or pain. Great possible solutions though, thanks for sharing. Going to try the skate lacing one. Because the MX3 is such an anatomical boot you can prolly get away with a less tight lacing by the feet.

You can get the toe box punched these days (something I only found out recently). Customworx (I hope I got the name right), a regular poster in this forum, has developed a tool that will do this. You might want to contact him and see if anyone in your area has his equipment or if you can send the skate to him. Hopefully some one else here with more knowledge will post a link to him, despite my best efforts in the search forum I can't find the last post he made in a thread about graf skates that were a tad too short.

Another alternative is a bit of tape and closed cell neoprene or a bunion toe pad or toe gel pad or something that gives your toe protection. I use tape and a strip of neoprene about an 1" long and 1/3" wide. I tape this around the outside of the toe where the pressure point is and this cured my problem, downside is I have to tape the toe every skate but it's cheap and something I can continue to monitor and manage myself.

You can bake a skate and wear doubled socks to gain a bit of width, or put the boots on the stretcher overnight to gain some forefoot room.

Beware the tailors bunion. It's bad news. I'm sporting two from some old vapors, and had to punch my EE width nexus 1000 to alleviate the pain.

I took a closer look at what the problem is. Seems as though its higher up on my foot. Theres a large vein on both feet and my left foot seems to be fatter than my right. This is where the circulation problem is happening. I bought a slightly thicker pair of skate socks (Reebok 14k) and miraculously it has remedied the issue. I also went to a 13' profile and a more forward leading pitch which may have helped too.

Long story short I experienced the same issue as you, I had to get rid of my NXGs because my heel and parts of my forefoot were basically numb once I put sneakers on after I played. I wear MX3s now but they are custom, they feel fantastic now but they are also a very strange size and spec set up

Bumping an old thread.  Over the last few weeks, I have noticed my left skate giving me pressure in a spot where I never had pressure before.  I have been in Supremes for probably about 6 years now and they are the right fit.  I am assuming I am developing a bunion.  It's in a spot where you would get one.  It hurts in my skates like people say it would.  In my experience, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck.  I was thinking of rebaking the left skate as normal or with a piece of hard foam taped in the spot to give it a little more room. Am I just wasting my time?  Should I go for a punch?  Any tips or thoughts appreciated.

For me, the area where the toebox meets the rest of the skate has always been a problem spot in terms of rubbing. Almost developed a bunion but caught it in time.

Only thing I did to address the issue was add a little padding in that spot in the skate. I use these stick on blister heel pads I found at Walmart.  Cut to size, peel, stick into skate, and forget about it. The padding adhesive is designed to work in sweaty foot environments so the padding pretty much lasts the life of the skate.

Maybe try this first before taking it up a notch and going for a punch.