Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HDHockey

Skate Selection

I think I am going to need some new skates soon, my 11k's are breaking down and I am trying to determine what to go with next. I always wore tacks and loved them, as well as I love the 11k's, but not happy they are breaking down after 3 years. I was looking at trying Bauers, and was wondering if the different fits (supreme, nexus, vapor) are based off your foot size/shape, or more of a preference on how you like the feel of the skate around your foot?

Thanks

Based off my experience:

Vapor: Tapered boot - V-shaped design - Narrow feet (D, EE) -- compared to Supreme -> D=C in Supreme, EE=in between D/E in Supreme

Supreme: Anatomical boot - Minimal space design - Regular feet (D, EE)

Nexus: Classical boot - Deep V-shape design- Wide feet (D, EE) --- compared to Supreme -> D=D/E in Supreme with WIDE/DEEP ankle, EE=EE/EEE in Supreme with WIDE/DEEP ankle

MC88 is right on as far as width differential goes and that is the major difference between the lines.

I'll also add that the Supreme and outgoing Nexus skates are a bit more neutral pitch as opposed to the aggressive/forward pitch on Vapors. If you have issues with pitch, those can be shimmed or profiled out.

I can't speak much to the Nexus line as I haven't had any experience with it, but there's also IMO, a bit of a difference between the philosophy of who skates in a vapor vs. a supreme. Throughout the line, I'd say a supreme skate is marginally stiffer than its vapor counterpart (e.g. One.6 vs. X60). Basically what this leads to is marginally better energy transfer and straight line speed in the supremes, and marginally better forward flex and maneuverability in the vapors. The tongue on the mx3/nxg makes it a pretty different animal from the APX2, so if you're looking at those skates, do some more research.

For the most part though, these differences are minimal when compared to the width differences and frankly you will skate fastest AND maneuver best in whichever skate fits your foot best among the three lines.

I mentioned One.6 vs. X60, but the one.7 and X70 might be a better example of the difference I've seen. This also might have changed with the new supreme line