Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrtim1119

First time needing help with gear

Hey guys, so I started playing for the first time and bought a lot of my gear. I bought new labeda gripper wheels. I just have basic skates ( tour :etx550) and I wasn't getting any traction while I was playing with the stock wheels. (I play sport court). So I switch to these labeda wheels but haven't gotten a chance to use them yet.

I got 72mm and 76mm wheels. I weigh about 210 . Wanted to see what y'all would recommend for wheels. Possible new skate upgrades in the future. Any advice y'all could give me being new to this would be amazing guys!

I haven't used Labeda Grippers myself, but have heard they're great wheels for smooth concrete. They're single pour wheels so while they'll still work for Sport Court you'd get better performance out of a dual pour wheel. Having said that, the Grippers should be more than adequate for someone just starting out as long as you got the right durometer for your size. 80a is the recommended durometer on IW for that wheel for people over 175lbs. You could likely get away with 76a which would provide a lot of grip, but you'd sacrifice some speed and possibly durability. 74a would be very soft for someone your size, would likely feel very slow and wouldn't last long - if you picked up 74a wheels and haven't used them yet I'd definitely exchange them for one of the harder options.

If you want to get a higher performing dual pour wheel in the future, I'd recommend one of two wheels for the 200lb plus player on Sport Court:

Revision Steel wheels (78a)

Rink Rat Hot Shot XX grip (78a)

I've used them both and they provide a great balance of durability, speed and grip and are under $10 per wheel. Many people also like the Labeda Addictions, but they're expensive at $14 per wheel so I've never tried them myself.

But I thought the the higher the wheel the harder the wheel which won't grip . How does that work ?

And I have hi lo setup. How does that factor in with what wheels I get and size

Yes, the higher the durometer the harder the wheel and the less grip you'll have, but also the more speed and usually durability. You have to have a balance and your weight plays a factor - a light person would generally need a much lower durometer than someone heavier.

Your skates came with 80a outdoor wheels which wouldn't provide any grip on Sport Court. Even though the durometer is the same as some indoor wheels the urethane formula and design is different and provides less grip. Getting indoor wheels was a good idea, but it doesn't mean you should get the softest indoor wheels you can find. At your weight wheels that are too soft can make it feel like you're skating in mud and may fail prematurely - 78a indoor wheels are appropriate for someone your size - if you want more speed then you could go 80a and 76a if you want more grip. In my opinion 74a is far too soft for someone over 200lbs. You definitely wouldn't have problems with grip though. Which durometer of Grippers did you get?

As for a hi lo setup, it impacts the size you need, but doesn't really effect the wheel durometer guidelines manufacturers provide. The only chassis that effects durometer guidelines is the Sprung chassis - it has a spring suspension system which provides a bit more grip so you can use a harder durometer than with most other chassis.

Are you sure the chassis is in fact a hi lo chassis? I haven't seen the skate you refer to in person, but I looked it up online and it looks like a flat chassis that is meant to take either all 72mm or all 76mm wheels and not a combination of both.

You mentioned having 72mm and 76mm in the first post, but I need some clarity around that:

Was that the size of the stock wheels or the size of the wheels you ordered?

The mm is the size - you didn't mention the durometer. That's the number that ends with A on the wheels. For example, a wheel could be 76mm 78a or 72mm 80a ect. The size and durometer and two different measurements that are interdependent, but it's important you get both of them right. You need the right size wheels for your chassis and the right size durometer for your weight and the playing surface.

If you do have a hi lo chassis then you'd put the larger wheels in the back two spots and the smaller ones in the front, but like I said in my last post the chassis you have looks like a flat chassis that should take all the same size wheels across. It's hard to be sure of that from pictures alone, but what were they like with the original wheels? Were the wheels the same size all the way across or bigger in the back?

You mentioned having 72mm and 76mm in the first post, but I need some clarity around that:

Was that the size of the stock wheels or the size of the wheels you ordered?

The mm is the size - you didn't mention the durometer. That's the number that ends with A on the wheels. For example, a wheel could be 76mm 78a or 72mm 80a ect. The size and durometer and two different measurements that are interdependent, but it's important you get both of them right. You need the right size wheels for your chassis and the right size durometer for your weight and the playing surface.

If you do have a hi lo chassis then you'd put the larger wheels in the back two spots and the smaller ones in the front, but like I said in my last post the chassis you have looks like a flat chassis that should take all the same size wheels across. It's hard to be sure of that from pictures alone, but what were they like with the original wheels? Were the wheels the same size all the way across or bigger in the back?

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/ETX_550_Inline_Skates/itm/9779-41/ oddly enough MrTim is right with the size, i hardly hear of Tour doing a hi-loish kinda setup bit if you look @ the chassis description hes right

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/ETX_550_Inline_Skates/itm/9779-41/ oddly enough MrTim is right with the size, i hardly hear of Tour doing a hi-loish kinda setup bit if you look @ the chassis description hes right

I did look at that page and the features list 72mm/76mm under chassis, but it's not clear to me that it's a combo or hi lo setup. It could mean that it can take either 72mm or 76mm wheels. In the pictures all the wheels look to be the same size.

The old IW description says they're all 76mm if you look in the specs section: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Tour_ETX_550_Roller_Hockey_Skates_Sr_/descpage-55TA.html

If MrTim has the original wheels and can read the size (the printing hasn't worn off) then we'll know for sure.

My guess is the small junior sizes came with 72mm wheels and larger sizes use all 76mm and it's a flat chassis.That's just an educated guess though as I've never seen or used these specific skates or the chassis.

You are right, they are either all 72mm or all 76mm depending if they are junior or senior. This is not a hi lo setup, Tour only use a flat chassis, as far back as I can remember over the last 6 years or so.

I did look at that page and the features list 72mm/76mm under chassis, but it's not clear to me that it's a combo or hi lo setup. It could mean that it can take either 72mm or 76mm wheels. In the pictures all the wheels look to be the same size.

The old IW description says they're all 76mm if you look in the specs section: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Tour_ETX_550_Roller_Hockey_Skates_Sr_/descpage-55TA.html

If MrTim has the original wheels and can read the size (the printing hasn't worn off) then we'll know for sure.

My guess is the small junior sizes came with 72mm wheels and larger sizes use all 76mm and it's a flat chassis.That's just an educated guess though as I've never seen or used these specific skates or the chassis.

You are right, they are either all 72mm or all 76mm depending if they are junior or senior. This is not a hi lo setup, Tour only use a flat chassis, as far back as I can remember over the last 6 years or so.

Okay good so im not hallucinating. I wa 95% sure the tours were flat

So if they're all 76mm and the OP, Mrtim, ordered a combination of 76mm and 72mm wheels then he should return them all if they're a hi lo package set or return only the 72mm wheels if it's not a set and the 76mm wheels happen to be the right durometer.

Mrtim - you need all 76mm wheels designed for Sport Court. The Grippers can work, but at your weight either 80a or at most 76a would be appropriate - 74a is very soft and is meant for lighter/smaller players.

If you're interested in dual pour wheels then the 78a Revision Steel or Rink Rat Hot shots (XX 78a) are good choices, but you probably don't want to spend more on wheels than you spent on the entry level skates.

The wheels my skates came with were 76 and 72. Would that make it a hi lo?

Did you buy them new or used?

If you bought them used it's entirely possible someone used 76mm wheels in the back and 72mm in the front to try to make their own hi lo set up or used 72mm on the front and rear positions to try to rocker them. If they came that way brand new then I suppose they're hi-lo, but I, like the other members in this thread, thought all recent Tour skates used a flat chassis that was designed to take wheels all the same size.

I saw it said 72/76 so I didn't know if that meant those we're the wheels in a hi lo or use either or. I'll look at them when I get home

Oh, I thought that's what you read on the wheels themselves. If you're just going by the TotalHockey listing I think they mean the chassis can fit either 72mm or 76mm wheels and they likely came with 76mm if they're a senior size.

Your chassis won't fit 80mm wheels. You need all 76mm wheels. The 76mm Revision Steel wheels (78a durometer - that's the only durometer the steel come in) are a good choice for someone your size and should provide a great combination of grip, speed and durability.

The Revision Steels are a very good dual pour wheel - you linked to the right revision product and would just get 8 of those in the 76mm size if that's what you choose to go with. I have no experience with the Rink Rat Envy wheel you linked to, but it's a single pour wheel - generally dual pour wheels offer better performance on Sport Court. Higher rebound, better grip ect.

If you want to go Rink Rat then get the 78a (XX) Hot Shots which are also a dual pour wheel: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Rink_Rat_Hot_Shot_Hockey_Wheels_/descpage-RHSW2.html

Both the Hot Shots and the Steels should out perform the Envy wheels on Sport Court.

Where does it say its a double pour? And those rink rats you linked to was 78mm 76a. And the revisions are 78mm 78a. Which one makes a bigger difference

I think you're getting the wheel size and durometer mixed up. The wheels should be 76mm (size) and 78a (durometer).

The Rink Rat Hot Shots are a dual pour wheel and they call this Mtech technology as described in the IW description:

Rink Rat has once again used the tried and true Mtech™ technology that utilizes a softer inner-core and a harder outer-core to allow for excellent speed and grip perfect of indoor sport court surfaces.
The Mtech™ technology combines a soft 62A material with a firm durable outer layer. The inner-core enables the wheel to flatten during turns like a radial tire increasing grip and control. The inner-core is made of a quality wear-resistant urethane to allow the wheel to rebound providing energy to the stiffer, faster rolling outer layer.
Revision uses Torus technology - it's different, but provides similar benefits, This page explains the Revision technology: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/tipshoc/revisiontech.html
The Envy is just a straight single pour wheel and won't provide the grip and rebound benefits that the Mtech or Torus wheels will.
The Envy and Gripper wheels would both be better than your stock wheels, but the Hot Shots and Steel wheels are another step up when it comes to playing on Sport Court.