Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Hart Trophy Discussion

It's getting to that point in the season now where I think we can start discussing the Hart Trophy...I may be biased since I'm a Flyers fan, but am I wrong in thinking Claude Giroux should be right up there with Sidney Crosby in the race?

Look at what Giroux has done since he finally scored his first goal. 68 points in the next 55 games, a pace of 101 points over 82 games. He took the entire team on his back, and ramped it up even more when he was snubbed for the Olympics twice, and there's no way this team is where it's at right now, without the play of him.

I'll be the first one to say that Sidney Crosby is the best player in the league, but when it comes to most valuable, it has to be Giroux.

The only argument I have against G (and in favor of Sid) is that G was practically non-existent, on a nationally scale, in the beginning of the season. I'd be surprised if Crosby doesn't win the Hart Trophy. G has been playing like a top 5 player again. He needs to keep it that way.

The biggest argument against Sid is that the team has a lot of star power and they have traditionally played very well without him.

i think the valuable part of the award goes down and people mostly pick who they think the best player is that season.

To me 2 guys come out and stick out in my mind:

Kessel is having a monster year and is really leading the leafs (and led the USA team). Not to discount the rest of the team but there arnt a lot of big names on that roster IMHO and he makes it way better.

Varlamov is also an odd thought but makes sense, i dont think either backup would be able to fill his shoes or at least not for too many games, and he does it in a lot of close games with what is IMHO a subpar defense core in front. They really beefed up the forwards and there seems to be boatloads more hope and spirit powering the team but i think the biggest improvement was the goalie. last year i thought he was mediocre at best and this year he seems to be making big saves left and right.

i think the valuable part of the award goes down and people mostly pick who they think the best player is that season.

That is not the criteria for the Hart.

The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association in all NHL cities at the end of the regular season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=24934

That's what I'm saying. I think people as of late forget it's about the player most valuable to their team, and instead vote just on who they think is the best player in the league.

Sorry if I initially worded it oddly.

If they got it right last year then Tavares would have won. There isn't a clear cut guy this year. I expect Getzlaf will get some consideration but really noone has truly distinguished themselves this season to me. Most of the top teams are too balanced to have a MVP candidate.

If they're going to actually go by "most valuable to his team", IMO it should be Kessel. Giroux is one of the few others I can think of. Maybe Johansen? Steen?

But, I can't remember the last time it was handed out under that criteria, it seems to just be the MVP of the league as far back as I can remember.

Carey Price will probably get some consideration as well. Montreal would be no where without him this season.

Crosby will win.

Other people you can consider/will likely be within the finalist group: Toews, Getzlaf, Giroux, Seguin, Ovechkin. Bernier wont even be close to contention for the Vezina, let alone the Hart.

While were on the topic of awards, if Stamkos doesn't win the Bill Masterton this year the entire awards process is a sham.

Carey Price will probably get some consideration as well. Montreal would be no where without him this season.

I'd agree there.

Crosby will win.

Other people you can consider/will likely be within the finalist group: Toews, Getzlaf, Giroux, Seguin, Ovechkin. Bernier wont even be close to contention for the Vezina, let alone the Hart.

While were on the topic of awards, if Stamkos doesn't win the Bill Masterton this year the entire awards process is a sham.

Well vezina and hart are VERY different criteria. You don't need to be the best goalie in the league to still bd most valuable player to your team. But again, unfortunately the award is usually given to league MVP instead (in which case you're right).

Completely agree re: stamkos 100%

In order for a goalie to be considered for the Hart they have to have had an otherworldly season and the last 3 times a goalie has won the Hart (Hasek '97 and '98, Theodore '02) he has also won the Vezina. If you aren't in the conversation for the Vezina then you definitely aren't in the conversation for the Hart.

The award isn't for most valuable player in the league, though.

If he's the most valuable player in the league, does he not defacto become the most valuable player to his team?

Penguins have 300+ man games lost, revolving door on his wings, Malkin has missed chunks of games, his defense is lead by Matt Niskanen, and he's still leading the league by 16 points and had the division locked up since Christmas.

If they got it right last year then Tavares would have won. There isn't a clear cut guy this year. I expect Getzlaf will get some consideration but really noone has truly distinguished themselves this season to me. Most of the top teams are too balanced to have a MVP candidate.

I like to take pleasure in beating on the islanders and their players bc my boss and many of my friends are huge fans of the team and I just like to poke fun at them. But yeah Tavares should have won and it annoyed me when he didn't.

I'd honestly like to see it given to a team who had one player that just carried the team on their backs the whole season. Maybe introduce a new league MVP trophy to allow that to happen, or something. I don't think being a top tier team should ever be a criteria for a "most valuable to their team" award.

I'd honestly like to see it given to a team who had one player that just carried the team on their backs the whole season. Maybe introduce a new league MVP trophy to allow that to happen, or something. I don't think being a top tier team should ever be a criteria for a "most valuable to their team" award.

That is the point of the Lindsay Award, it is just voted on by a different group of voters, the players. It is awarded at the same ceremony as the Hart.

Great, now we're going to see votes for Brad Boyes, Mark Giordano and Jordan Eberle. Just being a spectacular player isn't enough to garner the MVP. There has to be some kind of team success associated with it. Otherwise, Roberto Luongo would have won the Hart every season during his first stint with the Panthers.

My vote would go to either Kessel or Giroux. Leaning more and more towards Giroux as the Maple Leafs slide out of the playoffs.

And I'm not going to make a case, but I really think a few fifth place votes need to go to Gustav Nyquist. What he's done in the second half of the season, with an ever changing cast in Detroit, has been incredible. Without Nyquist, the Red Wings are probably statistically eliminated from the playoffs. With him, they're in the eight playoff spot. More goals than anyone in 2014, and without the benefit of Datsyuk or Zetterberg most of the way. Again, not MVP material given he'll finish with about 55 games played, but it's deserving of notice.

Nyquist really has opened eyes in 2014. It's an astonishing testament to Detroit's ability at assessing talent and Babcock's ability to coach it. It almost seems unfair.

My vote would go to either Kessel or Giroux. Leaning more and more towards Giroux as the Maple Leafs slide out of the playoffs.

And I'm not going to make a case, but I really think a few fifth place votes need to go to Gustav Nyquist. What he's done in the second half of the season, with an ever changing cast in Detroit, has been incredible. Without Nyquist, the Red Wings are probably statistically eliminated from the playoffs. With him, they're in the eight playoff spot. More goals than anyone in 2014, and without the benefit of Datsyuk or Zetterberg most of the way. Again, not MVP material given he'll finish with about 55 games played, but it's deserving of notice.

He still qualifies for the Calder, doesn't he?

Suter due to the fact him and Brodin are carrying that D-corps minute wise?

Suter is always going to be overlooked by the flashier dmen. I love sutter, he should've won the norris trophy last year (this coming from a montrealer). The guy plays 30 minutes a night, plays every situation, puts up points and is as consistant as they come.