Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franko_10

Switching Curves

So I've been thinking switching curves from a rather straight stamkos curve (Pm9 or E4) to a backstrom (P92 or E3). My main reason is that I've noticed while going in on a defenseman in scrimmages it takes longer to load up the puck for a snap shot from me loading onto the heal or middle of the blade resulting in a pokecheck. While with a E3 you mainly shoot off of the middle or toe of the blade. I've had a pretty good wrister with the stamkos, but a clapper that I cant raise to much. Stick handling goes well and toedrags are fine. As a summary It's harder for me to quickly release the puck on a shot. So do you think I should go with a more open Hall curve or with a Kane curve. My idea to test is to chop off a broken blade from a dolomite and sticking a tapered wood blade thats a E3 in it and to get on the ice to test it.

Any suggestions or tips?

Your release won't be any faster with a different blade. The PM9 is not such a deep heel curve that you need to be starting at the very base of the shaft, and even on curves like that, you can shoot off the toe. Work on improving your technique and you will be able to do it with any blade. Then if you want to switch for some other reason, go ahead and change up.

I love the P92, I find it great for just about everything. Backhands are a bit more effort, but I've practiced them to the point where it is still a lethal shot in my arsenal. The release is all in how you do it though - I recommend wrist strengthening, and maybe even practicing with weighted sticks/pucks. Tennis balls are also good at home. Just work in releasing quickly from all angles!