Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheffy92

skating from ice to inline

I've been playing ice hockey for about 15 years now having played AAA and Jr A. I decided to play roller hockey for the first time. I bought a pair of alkali rpd max which is a good pair of skates but it needs to be stiffer like my APX skates... I have read some post on here ppl saying that going from ice hockey to roller hockey is a big difference in terms of turning, crossovers and stuff… the biggest difference I find is stopping for roller hockey but after a couple of weeks I can stop pretty effectively but not the same as ice. Now when I skate from ice to roller I don't really notice a difference from the two now when skating. So my question is why do so many ppl seem to have a transition problem from the two? Cause when I first started I thought this would be a big issue for me, yet I actually feel like my skating in ice hockey has improved a bit from roller skating. Did anyone else have and easy transition from ice to roller? just curious to see if anyone did have an easy transition and why you had a easy transition.

For me, the stopping is still a questionable thing. I tend to just curl quickly instead. On ice, the parallel stop is natural for me, on the inline rink, hardly. And I see few that actually do a true 'hockey stop' on the inline rink. That's what took me on my quest to find a better transition from ice to inline. The fact the puck doesn't continue to slide on the sport court also caused more than a few hiccups when I first started last spring. But then, I've been playing on ice for over 40 years and inline for one, so it's a learning curve for me...

well this is my thread about going from inline to ice. i thought i would be a natural but it wasnt so.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/65720-inline-to-ice/#entry996608

The fact the puck doesn't continue to slide on the sport court also caused more than a few hiccups when I first started last spring. But then, I've been playing on ice for over 40 years and inline for one, so it's a learning curve for me...

for me going to ice to inline i was amazed at how much a tap would get the puck sliding. for me it made stick handling much easier having the free gliding ice under the puck TBH. on the other hand i was amazed that zippy passes had so much weight on them, i tried to one hand a hard pass like i do in roller and it just blew through my stick, lesson learned right there.

The first time on inlines after years of playing on ice was a small adjustment that took at least a few days to get used to, and a few weeks to get really comfortable. Those were the days of Sure-Grip straight 76mm frames. Now on Sprungs, if I constantly alternate between ice and inline, there's no problem. But if I spend 6 months exclusively on one, it will take me a session to adjust to the other.

I also felt that inline helped me improve my ice skating. One reason is that inline is less forgiving of sloppy technique, especially on forward-to-backward transitions. You can't just easily slide sideways like on ice. Your technique has to be precise, and I find that translates to better ice technique.

I have no skating issues when going from ice to inline or vice versa and the Sprung chassis certainly helps with that. Now, when I've only played one for a while it does take some time to get used to the puck feel - the puck slides a lot easier on ice than sport court so what's a tap pass on sport court could end up in an icing on ice if I have only been playing inline for a while and it's my first time playing ice again. An ice puck is also heavier than an inline puck. So for me the biggest adjustment is with the hands on not the feet.

You've played Jr A so you obviously know how to skate well, this makes it reasonably easy to transfer over. Some people have no problem swapping from one to the other, some it takes a few minutes and others a session or two, it all depends on you.

A 2 footed stop in inline is the biggest difference but not because of technique, it is more to do with variables you can't control - grip of wheels, surface you are playing on, condition of the surface, humidity etc. Ice is pretty constant, your edges bite and you stop, end of story. With inline as the conditions change you find your stopping technique has to adjust. I can go to the local sports court rink and, if it has been recently cleaned and it's not humid or played on all afternoon then I can do 2 footed stops all day long. Add humidity and dirt or even swap to another rink down the road that has a different surface and you end up on your butt now and then. After a while you just shelve these stops unless you know the rink well.

You've played Jr A so you obviously know how to skate well, this makes it reasonably easy to transfer over. Some people have no problem swapping from one to the other, some it takes a few minutes and others a session or two, it all depends on you.

A 2 footed stop in inline is the biggest difference but not because of technique, it is more to do with variables you can't control - grip of wheels, surface you are playing on, condition of the surface, humidity etc. Ice is pretty constant, your edges bite and you stop, end of story. With inline as the conditions change you find your stopping technique has to adjust. I can go to the local sports court rink and, if it has been recently cleaned and it's not humid or played on all afternoon then I can do 2 footed stops all day long. Add humidity and dirt or even swap to another rink down the road that has a different surface and you end up on your butt now and then. After a while you just shelve these stops unless you know the rink well.

Yeah I agree with you with different surface you have to adjust you're style of skating.

Biggest thing for me is not being able to stop. Otherwise, I would just characterize roller as having to be more careful..Or you can't be as sloppy. You can get away with things on ice that you can't really do at all in roller because of the very high friction with turning, etc.

I find ice to be easier, and more enjoyable but roller keeps me in shape while I'm off the ice.

And going from roller back to ice is generally an unpleasant transition. If I play more than a few roller games before I get back on the ice, I need a solid period or so before my brain and body can switch back.

+1 Ziggy. I had the same problem going from roller to ice (a lot of the time I play roller and ice in the same week). What helped me a lot was when I put a Marsblade chassis on my roller skates. The Marsblade chassis was designed for off ice training, not roller hockey, but I haven't had any durability issues or anything after about 1 season and a half of roller hockey on the chassis.The chassis has a similar rocker feel you get when you are on ice skates and it really helped me transition easier between the two. It also helps to improve your skating technique b/c of the way the chassis keeps you on your toes. Now, that has nothing to do with adjusting to the differences in passing, shooting, etc. between an ice surface and roller surface. But not much you can do for that...

+1 Ziggy. I had the same problem going from roller to ice (a lot of the time I play roller and ice in the same week). What helped me a lot was when I put a Marsblade chassis on my roller skates. The Marsblade chassis was designed for off ice training, not roller hockey, but I haven't had any durability issues or anything after about 1 season and a half of roller hockey on the chassis.The chassis has a similar rocker feel you get when you are on ice skates and it really helped me transition easier between the two. It also helps to improve your skating technique b/c of the way the chassis keeps you on your toes. Now, that has nothing to do with adjusting to the differences in passing, shooting, etc. between an ice surface and roller surface. But not much you can do for that...

For whatever reason last summer, the local rink shut down for about 4 months. Chiller issues I guess. So I played roller about 2-3 times a week for over 4 months straight with out going on ice. Needless to say when I got on the ice for the first time after my hiatus, I was COMPLETELY lost. It took me about 2.5 games to get back to where I was before the break. It's not so bad when I transition between the two in the same week, but if I play one many times before I switch back to the other, I generally have issues. More so with going from roller to ice. Adjustment period is usually 2-3x times longer..It's what really keeps me from getting excited for roller. Knowing I'm killing my ice performance for a bit is kind of disheartening.

For whatever reason last summer, the local rink shut down for about 4 months. Chiller issues I guess. So I played roller about 2-3 times a week for over 4 months straight with out going on ice. Needless to say when I got on the ice for the first time after my hiatus, I was COMPLETELY lost. It took me about 2.5 games to get back to where I was before the break. It's not so bad when I transition between the two in the same week, but if I play one many times before I switch back to the other, I generally have issues. More so with going from roller to ice. Adjustment period is usually 2-3x times longer..It's what really keeps me from getting excited for roller. Knowing I'm killing my ice performance for a bit is kind of disheartening.

I have the exact same issue. What sucks especially is, over the summer I can go outside and play roller pretty much whenever I want, but I know its only gonna hurt my ice skating. My plan over the summer is to take it easy with ice until sept/oct (ill still play occasionally, but going into it knowing that Im probably gonna suck), and just play roller. Hopefully throwing in ice once in a while will help me get used to switching back and forth, but for the most part, when going from ice to roller, it only takes me about 20-30 mins to adjust, whereas the other way takes 3-5 times on the ice until I feel good again.

Im pretty sure im gonna order a mars blade. I emailed them, and they said I could order one from sweden if I dont want to wait until the US release - which im probably gonna end up doing. Even if it makes it just a little easier itll be worth it.

Just debating which boot to put them on. Debating between Axiom T9 or my Vapor X5.0. I want to make sure when I mount it, my pitch is kind of consistent with my ice skates (just bought makos). Anyone have any experience with that?

I have the exact same issue. What sucks especially is, over the summer I can go outside and play roller pretty much whenever I want, but I know its only gonna hurt my ice skating. My plan over the summer is to take it easy with ice until sept/oct (ill still play occasionally, but going into it knowing that Im probably gonna suck), and just play roller. Hopefully throwing in ice once in a while will help me get used to switching back and forth, but for the most part, when going from ice to roller, it only takes me about 20-30 mins to adjust, whereas the other way takes 3-5 times on the ice until I feel good again.

Im pretty sure im gonna order a mars blade. I emailed them, and they said I could order one from sweden if I dont want to wait until the US release - which im probably gonna end up doing. Even if it makes it just a little easier itll be worth it.

Just debating which boot to put them on. Debating between Axiom T9 or my Vapor X5.0. I want to make sure when I mount it, my pitch is kind of consistent with my ice skates (just bought makos). Anyone have any experience with that?

I have my Marsblade (size medium) mounted on Axiom T9's (size 7.0 EE) and had no problems with it. My ice skates are Bauer Nexus 800's so I can't really comment on the pitch of those vs. Makos but the pitch between my Axioms with Marsblade and Nexus seem to be pretty close (but that might be b/c Bauer and Mission are the same company and I believe Axiom's fit similar to Bauer's Supreme line of skate). However from what I know about Vapor vs. Axiom (Supreme), the Vapor's should have more of a forward pitch which may be closer to the Makos (I've read the Makos have a really aggressive forward pitch). So when you consider that, you're best bet may be to mount the Marsblade to the Vapor's vs. the Axiom's. Just my humble opinion though...

I have my Marsblade (size medium) mounted on Axiom T9's (size 7.0 EE) and had no problems with it. My ice skates are Bauer Nexus 800's so I can't really comment on the pitch of those vs. Makos but the pitch between my Axioms with Marsblade and Nexus seem to be pretty close (but that might be b/c Bauer and Mission are the same company and I believe Axiom's fit similar to Bauer's Supreme line of skate). However from what I know about Vapor vs. Axiom (Supreme), the Vapor's should have more of a forward pitch which may be closer to the Makos (I've read the Makos have a really aggressive forward pitch). So when you consider that, you're best bet may be to mount the Marsblade to the Vapor's vs. the Axiom's. Just my humble opinion though...

Yea I was thinking the same thing. Plus I like the fit of the vapor more than the Axiom, and the Axioms will sell for more - so its an easy choice.

Ive heard the vapors are still as not as aggressive as grafs and makos, so Im not sure if I will end up having to add some shims to duplicate the feel.

I have a hard time turning and stopping when I play inline, so I just end up playing it real cautious and doing alot of slow to medium speed gliding (which tends to make me pretty ineffective). On ice, I feel I can stop on a dime, and turn just fine when I need to. Of course, so can everyone else, and generally, the better players all stick to ice, so I am not much more effective on ice, but I at least "feel" like I am able to do what I want. It could be that the inline sport court that we play on is garbage (the panels are all warped, and my white tape is dark as night with dust after each time I play there) and/or that my wheels are not right and/or that my "inline technique" is wrong. I don't know; whatever it is though, my inline skating is garbage (my ice skating, by comparison, is below average). So, I much prefer ice to inline, but out here, on weekend nights, the only thing going is inline, so I play a inline on weekends, just to get some exercise in.

it was never an issue for me, but I started from a young age playing both. I played ice my whole life and in the summer would play inline with my cousins outside. it all just depends on the person. I have a friend who played ice in high school and started playing inline in the last couple years and has greatly regressed on the ice to the point where he no longer plays ice.

No issues for me either, I go between ice, old hilos outdoors to train, straight 80s for indoors and most recently quad skates for rink hockey.
It's never really crossed my mind to have an issue.