Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

louierev07

Thinking about getting rid of hilo - screwing up my balance

So I'm currently using mission axiom t9 roller blades. With brand new wheels, I think the balance is fine and similar to my hockey skates (vapors).

The problem is when the wheels wear down (the ones I use for hard concrete, not sport court) the back wheels wear faster than the front, and they end up all being the same size. Because bigger wheels should be in the back, my balance is less forward than it should be.

When switching between ice and roller, my balance is affected the most. And since I care more about skating on the ice, I want my roller blades to be as close to my ice skates as possible.

I was thinking of switching to a straight 80mm setup. This way at the very worst, It'll be the way the manufacturer intended, and if they wear unevenly I'll put smaller ones in front so I'm in a more aggressive stance.

I'm also probably gonna get the new mako 2 ice skates when they come out, so having something with an aggressive stance is even more important.

So if I want as close to mako's as possible, what should I be looking to get? I was thinking about maybe alkalis. Or should I get a new chassis for my missions? Tbh I don't like the fit of the axioms as much as the vapors, so I'm thinking about selling.

Lemme know what you think.

An all 80 chassis probably won't fit on the missions bc the wheels will hit and that will unbalance the boot more.

If anything get a tour or new alkali skate with all 80s as their built with that in mind.

Do more that tours and alkali have a recessed front wheel so the pitch is more forward and that may put more weight there. Also the front wheels always usually wear faster bc they are the last little push and many people drag that toe to slow down a little as well.

So best option is probably to sell? Am I alone in experiencing this once the wheels wear?

Like I said they're not bad with all fresh wheels, but once they're worn I think it throws me off pretty bad.

I have a hard enough time switching back and forth between ice and roller, so I'm just trying to make the transition as easy as possible.

How do alkalis and tours fit compared to vapors and mako's? I guess worst case scenario, I can wait until the mako 2s are out and try to get the first makos for a little cheaper and then put a chassis on it.

For outside skating, I prefer the all 80 setup to hilo or vanguard for the reason you mentioned. Rotating wheels becomes difficult with different sized wheels, all 80s allows you to maintain the rocker better. You may find the slightly longer wheel base to be less quick but you can quickly adapt. You will find all 80s to be faster.

As far as boot, I play ice as well and convert my old skates. Latest setup is Vapor XXX with Labeda chassis. The second wheel will rub, all you need to do is shave the bottom with a dremel. Although thin, it is amazing how strong the outsole of a skate is even with the holes from a holder.

KB

For outside skating, I prefer the all 80 setup to hilo or vanguard for the reason you mentioned. Rotating wheels becomes difficult with different sized wheels, all 80s allows you to maintain the rocker better. You may find the slightly longer wheel base to be less quick but you can quickly adapt. You will find all 80s to be faster.

As far as boot, I play ice as well and convert my old skates. Latest setup is Vapor XXX with Labeda chassis. The second wheel will rub, all you need to do is shave the bottom with a dremel. Although thin, it is amazing how strong the outsole of a skate is even with the holes from a holder.

KB

Cool, I think I'm definitely gonna go with an all 80 setup one way another then.

I'm 90% sure I'm switching to mako's for ice in June. I don't dislike the fit of my vapors (x5.0), but the mako's are just that much more comfortable.

For roller, I can either:

1. get a new pair of alkalis or tours (or maybe ccm? Not sure if they use hilo). Whichever fits the best and is closest to mako's.

2. Convert my vapor into roller skates like you did. Maybe put a few risers to get the stance the same as the mako's.

3. Buy mako's used or once the mako 2s come out and convert them to roller. Probably not gonna go this way since I really don't care about roller skates as much as I do ice skates. But I do want something that isn't gonna screw me up when I do.

Either way I wanna figure something out now before the spring.

And thanks for the help btw.

What durometer (DM) wheel are you using? Perhaps your wheels are too soft and thus wearing more quickly than preferred. The highest DM I have seen is 84a. I used 84a on a sport court, fast as heck but could not turn. I imagine that on concrete they would be perfect.

With proper rotating and whatel hardness I didn't get as much uneven west but the front most wheel always wore the most.

I personally don't like the Reebok and ccm chassis bc it's clunky and sits high. Look at all other skate chassis then look at theirs. Theirs looks like it's from 5 years ago. I also had reeboks and they broke down super fast and the chassis had excessive wear from the axles alone.

What durometer (DM) wheel are you using? Perhaps your wheels are too soft and thus wearing more quickly than preferred. The highest DM I have seen is 84a. I used 84a on a sport court, fast as heck but could not turn. I imagine that on concrete they would be perfect.

Using labeda asphalt right now when I use them on concrete. I've used other wheels for outdoors (84a and 82a), and nothing has lasted as long as these - which are listed at 80a.

This isn't a problem when playing on sport court with my other wheels, but it is 90% of the time, since I practice on concrete.

My back wheels wear quicker than the front, and it becomes more of a pain in the ass to keep it setup the way it is intended.

If I switched to a straight setup, I could pretty much always keep it at the same angle, or have it setup more aggressively if I wanted to.

Pretty sure I'm gonna switch, just apprehensive about selling my axioms basically just for this reason. I'll probably list them on here, but no idea what I should be listing them for. I see them on hockey monkey for 300, but that's only because there's only a few weird sizes available. Any idea what I should ask for them?

EDIT: anyone know how to list something in the sell forum?