Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jstoddard

Left-handed shooter taking face-off right handed

All - I noticed in the Sharks vs. Blackhawks game last night that Bracken Kearns (shoots left) took a faceoff in the offensive zone right handed by flipping his stick around (so that on his backhand the curve was facing the defenseman). He was in the right-side faceoff dot (from the goalie's perspective to his left). I did not notice if he did this consistently throughout the rest of the game or not. Note that I am not talking about simply flipping your lower hand over to use a motorcycle grip for the faceoff, this was swapping both hands and bringing the stick across his body to play like a right-handed shooter.

Perhaps this happens often and I just happened to catch this, but I've been watching hockey for 40+ years and this is the first time I've seen this.

I can't find a video online, but if anyone cares to look, I **think** it may be the faceoff he takes 0:44 into the second period. Another player got kicked out and he stepped in to take the faceoff, switches his stick around and wins the faceoff.

Has anyone seen this before? I would assume the strategy is to get more leverage to pull the puck back to the defenseman.

Jeff

Thanks guys - it is interesting and I like the strategy. Given that you have more leverage pulling the puck back to the right defenseman with this tactic, is this also something a lefty would do in the defensive zone as well? Any other places?

Any idea how prevalent this is? Like, I said, it was the first time I've seen it in 40 years.

Thanks guys - it is interesting and I like the strategy. Given that you have more leverage pulling the puck back to the right defenseman with this tactic, is this also something a lefty would do in the defensive zone as well? Any other places?

Any idea how prevalent this is? Like, I said, it was the first time I've seen it in 40 years.

Definitely! When I'm facing off in my own zone, I want to send the puck in the corner and not toward my goalie. Being a righty, I'll sometimes do it when I'm facing off to the left of my goalie but sometimes I'll just hold the stick normally to achieve the same result. The disadvantage to the former is that you have to switch your hands quickly back to normal position right after the face-off. You have to consider that too.

Definitely! When I'm facing off in my own zone, I want to send the puck in the corner and not toward my goalie. Being a righty, I'll sometimes do it when I'm facing off to the left of my goalie but sometimes I'll just hold the stick normally to achieve the same result.

I usually try to win those with quickness or forward to a guy that is cutting in behind their center on a set play.

I usually try to win those with quickness or forward to a guy that is cutting in behind their center on a set play.

That can be a bit risky in your own zone. I reserve those tactics for neutral zone face-offs.

That can be a bit risky in your own zone. I reserve those tactics for neutral zone face-offs.

It works for us. Especially at a beer league level, having a set play that covers the win and the loss makes a huge difference.

Definitely! When I'm facing off in my own zone, I want to send the puck in the corner and not toward my goalie. Being a righty, I'll sometimes do it when I'm facing off to the left of my goalie but sometimes I'll just hold the stick normally to achieve the same result. The disadvantage to the former is that you have to switch your hands quickly back to normal position right after the face-off. You have to consider that too.

I usually just try to win those to the side boards and go on my forehand, or after feeling out the ref and the other center men try the spin move or just tie the guy up and tell my winger to come grab the puck.

Thanks guys - interesting.

Noticed Bracken Kearns switching hands again last night. Face-off was just outside his blue line and he won the faceoff again. I don't believe any other centers in the Sharks/Predators game switched hands

Thanks guys - interesting.

Noticed Bracken Kearns switching hands again last night. Face-off was just outside his blue line and he won the faceoff again. I don't believe any other centers in the Sharks/Predators game switched hands

One of the Sharks analysts mentioned this in a recent blog --> http://sharks.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=24836&navid=DL|SJS|home

He says by doing this Kearns can attempt a backhand draw while using the curve of his blade to his advantage.

I use this tactic every once in a while and it usually works for me but I rarely take a faceoff as I am currently playing defense

im not sure if I am actually better at it that way or if it just mentally messes with my opponent

I try this too, it sorta messes with your opponent because they are like "what is he doing", and it also lets you get more leverage on the stick. Be careful though, because extra leverage also means a higher chance of breakages haha.

I'm right handed. Here's how I take faceoffs.

I position both hands with my palms facing down (knuckles up).

I grip the left hand tight at the top of the shaft and the right hand tight about mid way.

I work to try to get position on the left side of the faceoff dot and when the puck is dropped I pull HARD to my right defense.

If I position on the right side of the faceoff dot, I push hard to the left wing or left D.

If you PULL (backhand) be sure to rotate your hips and your shoulders so that you 'hip check' the centre on the draw.

If you have to push (forehand), do your best to whack the centre's stick off line as you push through. I like to push under his stick heel and push back to left D while also hip checking the centre on the draw.

You need a TIGHT grip on the stick and you need a stick that can take a slash. aluminum sticks are unbeatable for this.

In beer league, I have about a 90% win rate on the draw with this technique.

In high school I had about a 75% win rate (and would actually switch position with the actual centre)

What we would do is on the draw, I would take the faceoff, my centre would play right D and I would draw back to him and he would burn it up the ice while I would run interference on the opposition centre before returning to my right D role.

If you're in a checking league... you can also push through as well. Take the draw, tap the puck and run over the opposing centre when he's got his head down :D