Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigSteve

15,Want to start playing with 0 hockey or skating experience

Hey guys I'm 15 and always thought that hockey just looked really fun but never bothered to play. I currentley play lacrosse and I'm pretty solid. Not the best on the team yet but I can make things happen. I also used to play soccer for one of the best teams in my state when I was 12. And I'd say i'm a pretty atheltic guy who has good speed for a white person.

I recently decided I wanted to actually play hockey. The only problem is that being from florida I never learned how to ice skate. And I don't have a high school team, the only teams are at this place called the rdv sportsplex in orlando. If anyone knows more about the orlando/lakemary area hockey seen pm me.

My plan to start playing though is i'm gonna get a stick, gloves,blades,and just use box lax cage on my helmet then start playing pickup games at my local roller hockey rink 15 mins away from me just to get a bit of a feel for the game. Then start going to start ice skating after that see how I do on a team.

I have a friend in one of my classes who plays hockey and is starting lax so I could probably chill with him and practice a bit.

tldr:never learned how to skate,i'm 15,and want to play hockey in florida.

good idea teaming up with someone who knows the game. first things first, get your skates and learn how to if you dont already. first forward then backwards. dont be afraid to watch some youtubes that show good technique and get the right mechanics under your feet from the start. Before going too in depth go with your idea of playing some inline games at the local rink, here we have an outdoor roller rink and kids of around your age frequented it and they were of all skill levels. we played year round and kept pads to a minimum sink we mostly played with a ball and we were all young and werent trying to kill each other. old sticks, gloves, skates, and helmets depending on the day and that was about it. old sweatpants and an old league jersey was all we used, shorts and Tshirts in the summer very minimal with the pads but it was more about playing and getting to know the game better.

Once youre comfortable and if you decide you like it enough to continue and invest in it then you can get the pad set up for league play but check with the league as to what they require as well. im sure as you play you will make friends and they will help you out as well.

Not sure about the lax helmet for hockey though.

good luck and have fun

Don't try to run before you can crawl.

I can't tell you how many kids I've seen who spend hours upon hours working on their shot when they can barely stand up on the ice.

Take a couple skating lessons when you first start. It'll help weed out any bad habits that may start to develop. After you get a few lessons under your belt it's a matter of getting out on the ice as much as possible and practice.

As soon as you develop your skating skills, the rest will follow pretty quickly afterwards.

If I were you I'd focus on inline skating, you can practice while going from one place to another.

Don't hesitate to shoot a video of yourself too, it's a great way to get auto-feedback and see for yourself what you're really doing and not what you think your doing.

Ice skating is different to inline, but once you master one, the other comes along quickly.

Try to do as much distance as possible with your skates, and use it as a transportation mode.

If im not mistaken the box lacrosse cage is almost exactly the same cage you put on a regular lacrosse helmet except they put them on a hockey helmet. Plus removing the facemask on a lax helmet is near impossible, I tried. Your better off just grabbing a clearance helmet or something cheap that fits your head well.

I was the same age when I started. I definitely agree with what everyone is saying about inline. It may not be the same as Ice but you can pick it up quicker because you can roller skate just about anywhere and not have to pay for rink time and all that.

Go to RDV, ask for Justin Cirillo - he is the operations manager for the rink. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Tell him JR sent you.

doesnt get much better than an inside scoop

Take a couple skating lessons when you first start. It'll help weed out any bad habits that may start to develop. After you get a few lessons under your belt it's a matter of getting out on the ice as much as possible and practice.

As soon as you develop your skating skills, the rest will follow pretty quickly afterwards.

^^^^ This!!!

Seriously, lessons are key to preventing and breaking bad habits. Twenty-plus years later and I'm trying to stand in the "seated" position on the ice!!!

If you know where u are suppose to be in hockey you will pick up the game a lot faster. YouTube video like "how to play winger in hockey", " how to play defence in hockey".

Best advice i can give you.

As a coach, one of my favorite things is developing a new player and seeing their progression throughout the season. Skating would be the thing I would stress the most. My players probably hate it, but I do a lot of edge work, keeping the knees bent and chest up, etc. Also, be aware there will be a bit of a transition from inline skates to ice skates as well. Don't get frustrated, just enjoy it and keep a sense of humor about it.

As a coach, one of my favorite things is developing a new player and seeing their progression throughout the season. Skating would be the thing I would stress the most. My players probably hate it, but I do a lot of edge work, keeping the knees bent and chest up, etc. Also, be aware there will be a bit of a transition from inline skates to ice skates as well. Don't get frustrated, just enjoy it and keep a sense of humor about it.

Yes, these things are key. Being able to feel, understand then manipulate your edges is how you will be able to "move" the way a hockey player should. Stay as low as possible with a calm upper body, your posture should be akin to that when your ass is an inch from dropping onto a chair.

Go to RDV, ask for Justin Cirillo - he is the operations manager for the rink. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Tell him JR sent you.

What JR said. Almost every rink in Florida has a learn to skate and a learn to play hockey program at all age levels. They can't take demand for granted like they can up north. Rink near me has learn to skate and learn to play clinics, a learn to play league (hour lesson & 30 min. scrimmage) and a novice league. I'd focus on skill development and look towards adult leagues in the future. Once you get the knack of skating stick'n'shoots help as well. Most adult leagues require you to be 18 due to USA hockey. Once you hit 18 finding a league of similar talent level as yours will be by then shouldn't be an issue.

Do learn to skates and go to public skate sessions. Don't stop practicing your skating. You can get a sheet of plexiglass and a puck or just grab a green biscuit and practice your stick handling on pavement at home. Skate as much as possible and just practice practice practice. Once you can stop, go backward a little bit and make some passes etc, start playing pick up at local rinks in your spare time. It'll take you years to get to the point where you can hang with people, but trust me, you can do it man.

Unless everyone in his area are A-level skaters, it might not take him years.

It pisses me off how fast kids learn. (no, not really...but it does amaze me)

Totally worth the effort.

Unless everyone in his area are A-level skaters, it might not take him years.

It pisses me off how fast kids learn. (no, not really...but it does amaze me)

Totally worth the effort.

Everybody learns differently. I picked up hockey as a hobby at age 17. I am now 25 and am finally just good enough to play with and be competitive at open skates with the 16 and 17yo high school kids who play varsity hockey. They are still better than me, but I can hang with them now. When I first started I was so terrible people wouldn't even pass to me. I'm just saying, it won't be easy for him, but if he sticks with it, he can do it.

Everybody learns differently, every area has different levels of play.

In my area, the A skaters are ex-college or Junior players, some retired NHL players

B skaters are usually people who stopped after high school.

C skaters are people who started as adults or stopped after peewees or so.

I don't ever aspire to be able to hang with current high school skaters. Those kids are tough and fast. :laugh: