Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOVECHKIN

How to manage my 12 man rec hockey roster?

Here's my situation! I volunteered to be a "Captain" in our over 40 men's rec/beer hockey league this year. We play 2-23minute non-contact half's with a 12 man roster. Because I decide who plays where, I have to figure out the best way to rotate 7-8 forwards per game and give them equal minutes ( I run with 4 defensemen). For the most part, anyone can play "center" who's on the ice. I tried rotating centers (2 centers, 6 wings), tried rotating a guy through the lines (one line per half), both didn't work!! This week I was thinking using the "shinny rotation" for the forwards, you know, in one door, out the other!!!! BTW the league is pretty balanced as far as skill levels....anybody can beat anybody, on any given weekend! Any ideas on shift length would be appreciated too!! Thanx NOVECHIN

my 1cent,

For shifts I'd say the shorter the better, it will keep your team fresh for the whole game (1-2min) and if anyone can play anywhere, the shinny idea is pretty good :) as a captain you won't have to think about it too much.

For us, two centers and three pair of wingers is the best way to go. The wingers always follow the same guys, the centers always sit on the PK and the wingers get a chance to get some chemistry playing with the same guy on the other side. I would love to hear why it didn't work for you guys. We have also had luck putting our three weakest (or worst conditioned) skaters on the same side when we have 7 forwards. I have played on teams where we put four guys on a line and each one took a shift off. That always seemed harder to generate any consistency. We usually try to go about 90 seconds or so as nobody is going balls out all shift long.

+1 for 2 centers, 3 wing pairs. We've tried all of these and it seems to work best. Put a couple good skaters at C and let them regulate their own shift length, they don't have to change with the wing pair. Shinny style was the least successful option by far. At some point, you end up with 3 guys on the ice who all think they're playing left wing.

If you've only got 12 guys on the roster, you may end up with a more manageable 9-10-11 skaters on any given night. Do you expect everyone to show every night?

Two centers and 3 sets of wings is the easiest way to run it but really the best situation for beer league is a 10 man roster. Three sets of anything in beer league leads to guys sitting too long and griping about icetime.

Two centers and 3 sets of wings is the easiest way to run it but really the best situation for beer league is a 10 man roster.

Right there. I would never go over ten. Makes it so much easier to manage.

as others mentionned already, 3 pairs of wingers is best, centers sit on the PK.

The key is that wingers must forecheck hard, put pressure on the D. If they forecheck, they will keep their shifts short.

Typical beer league wingers don't forecheck hard enough, especially in a 10 man roster

10 ideal.

11 I frankly consider the most pain in the ass of all roster possibilities. I'd go with Flyers guy's suggestion. Although we usually pick a guy that can play both forward and D and have him work his way through the roster. Usually everybody pretty much sits once and it spreads it around evenly between O & D.

12 Chadd is right all day long.

Pffft we have 9 and there are still some guys that refuse to get off in the 2nd half (we play halves) and the past 2 games I've been sitting the last 10 minutes of the game making it well known I'm ready for a change. This has happened in a close game and one where we were getting blown out. That and we don't have set lines and it's really getting to the point where if there isn't a change by the first half of next game I'm.going to have to do some.half time shouting.

Pffft we have 9 and there are still some guys that refuse to get off in the 2nd half (we play halves) and the past 2 games I've been sitting the last 10 minutes of the game making it well known I'm ready for a change. This has happened in a close game and one where we were getting blown out. That and we don't have set lines and it's really getting to the point where if there isn't a change by the first half of next game I'm.going to have to do some.half time shouting.

Depending on the 9, we will often go with two lines and three D.

There has to be a captain on any adult team. If the captain is one of the people doing that, you're screwed. If there is no captain, someone needs to step up and be a leader and being a leader has nothing to do with telling people what to do. Know what you want to say and don't get pulled into a prolonged argument. When something has to be said in our locker room, I prefer to say it and leave to let it sink in. At that point, it's up to the group to decide if they want to buy in or not.

We play two lines of four in this situation. The floater is the second best or next most versatile guy in the four. He sits, then subs for left, then center, then for right. Then the cycle starts over again. We are all forty plus, so the centers can't usually handle two centers and the pairs of wingers as well. They like the extra sit once in a while.

Depending on the 9, we will often go with two lines and three D.

There has to be a captain on any adult team. If the captain is one of the people doing that, you're screwed. If there is no captain, someone needs to step up and be a leader and being a leader has nothing to do with telling people what to do. Know what you want to say and don't get pulled into a prolonged argument. When something has to be said in our locker room, I prefer to say it and leave to let it sink in. At that point, it's up to the group to decide if they want to buy in or not.

This is what we tried out, it lasted about half a game before it all fell apart, it started with one of the d wanting to play up so him and a winger switched then everything else started to fall apart. We are 5 games deep and havnt won one yet, this is fine but when we have something that works it's automatically being looked at to change bc we didn't win a game. There have been no solid lines and just so disorganized. Things such as wingers not knowing they need to cover the points, or not even knowing they are playing the wing makes us seem like we put our skates on backwards.

I'm normally a quiet guy in the lockeer room and since it's work team where I play with my bosses I tend to let them call the shots. But you know what if we don't pull something together this week I'll do exactly as you said. Get up, make a bold statement and let it sink in. I know I'm not even close to being on of the star players so I don't have much to say but no one wants to be on a losing team, especially one that gets blanked for the entire season.

Someone should at least set lines at the start of eaxh game. Even if it is just "you 3 start and we will stay together" things should work out.

Thank you for all the feedback fellas!!....Lot's of good points were made!!!...Chippas and Chadds points were well taken, and so true!!!...I think i'll stay with the rotating centers and preach the 90 second shift thing to the team!!!...BTW, we have the 12 man roster because we're trying to maintain a core of players, hopefully it will help us keep our league going for a few extra years. I'll let you guys know how it works today!!! NOVI

I'm normally a quiet guy in the lockeer room and since it's work team where I play with my bosses I tend to let them call the shots. But you know what if we don't pull something together this week I'll do exactly as you said. Get up, make a bold statement and let it sink in. I know I'm not even close to being on of the star players so I don't have much to say but no one wants to be on a losing team, especially one that gets blanked for the entire season.

Just remember, it's always "us" and "we". Always include yourself in the criticism, even if it isn't completely applicable.

Most definetly chadd, I rarely if ever disclude myself from critisism and I've invited teammates multiple times to let me know if I do things wrong. So far not much has been happening, and I've even gone to the refs and higher end players that were watching my game and ask about it and get more feedback. I don't know if people are afraid to say something but eventually it'll need to be done.

I had no doubt that you would handle it that way based on your earlier comments, I just wanted to throw that out there for others in a similar situation. It really helps when you can make a statement and then go out and play the game of your life too. No pressure or anything like that.

I had no doubt that you would handle it that way based on your earlier comments, I just wanted to throw that out there for others in a similar situation. It really helps when you can make a statement and then go out and play the game of your life too. No pressure or anything like that.

I have a 1 goal per season quota I need to keep up. If i get even just 2 goals itll be the game of my life. Unfortunately that would also tie our teams season high for a single game.

Also, thank you for the vote of confidence in that i would handle it right. i know im a bit younger at 24 but i do try to be mature about everything no matter if its at work, in the locker room, or just here on the forums.

How are you guys running the PK when one of your defensemen has to sit? Sending out 1D and dropping the center back? Or still rolling out 2D and sitting a forward? I've yet to come up with a good solution.

Well guys, we had 11 skaters yesterday!!! I used the 4 defenseman and 7 forwards. We were 0-3 going into this game. I stood up before the team. I set the defense first, set the forward lines (reminding everyone of they're spots), declared myself "the guy" who would rotate through the lines, told them, that "the bench" would dictate the changes, (not the line on the ice), and emphasized the 90 second shift. It worked out somewhat better this week and the result was a 4-1 win. I found it was easier to manage the lines as the floater! One voice directing the lines seemed like there was less confusion. This formula worked this week! See what happens next week!! NOVI

How are you guys running the PK when one of your defensemen has to sit? Sending out 1D and dropping the center back? Or still rolling out 2D and sitting a forward? I've yet to come up with a good solution.

it depends on a couple factors:

1. Did the other defense pair just get off the ice on a change?

2. Who are the forwards on the ice?

3. Who are the defensemen that would be out together?

If the defense is tired or we have a strong line out, we will drop a forward back. If we have a weak line out, we generally put out another defenseman.

Well guys, we had 11 skaters yesterday!!! I used the 4 defenseman and 7 forwards. We were 0-3 going into this game. I stood up before the team. I set the defense first, set the forward lines (reminding everyone of they're spots), declared myself "the guy" who would rotate through the lines, told them, that "the bench" would dictate the changes, (not the line on the ice), and emphasized the 90 second shift. It worked out somewhat better this week and the result was a 4-1 win. I found it was easier to manage the lines as the floater! One voice directing the lines seemed like there was less confusion. This formula worked this week! See what happens next week!! NOVI

That's definitely a step in the right direction. Good leadership on your part by providing direction and being the floater. Once you get a routine that works, you can easily shift people through as everyone will be on the same page.

it depends on a couple factors:

1. Did the other defense pair just get off the ice on a change?

2. Who are the forwards on the ice?

3. Who are the defensemen that would be out together?

If the defense is tired or we have a strong line out, we will drop a forward back. If we have a weak line out, we generally put out another defenseman.

We've been rolling the remaining 3 defensemen, but keeping guys fresh has sometimes been an issue. I've been considering dropping a forward back when the defense needs a minute to recover. The last thing I want is one or two guys on the ice who've been out there for the better part of 3 minutes killing a penalty. It's just asking for a goal against.

This helps, thanks!

We roll 2 D and sit a forward.

Thanks for the input.

It's all about putting guys in a position to succeed. If you have someone that can play forward or D (we're lucky enough to have a few of those), you can drop those guys back for a PK shift in a pinch.