Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Toronto Maple Leafs 2013-2014

A couple story lines so far in the season:

- Bernier is CLEARLY outplaying Reimer. Reimer hasn't been terrible, and only the last goal he let in when he was pulled was really his fault, but Bernier has been virtually unbeatable so far. Very stable, very calm, makes everything look easy. I love Reimer (hence the username) but man... I can't imagine he'll be around much longer if Bernier keeps this up.

- The kids look pretty good, especially Reilly. He's become more confident with every game he's played. Smarter decisions every time he's on the ice. Gardiner is the exception... I don't know what's up with him. He stepped it up big time in the playoffs last year, but now looks to be just average at best.

- Faceoffs continue to be a problem. Less than 40% tonight. Unacceptable. Kadri can't win a faceoff to save his life, and last year's #2 center is gone now (Grabovski, who is playing very well elsewhere apparently). Faceoffs cost them game 7 vs Boston, and unless they figure something out, it will continue to cost them.

- Too many turnovers, but with the age of the team, especially the defense, that isn't too surprising.

- Bolland has been a nice addition. Generally quiet but definitely effective.

- Injuries to Mark Fraser and Kulemin hurts their PK and shutdown game, but luckily it hasn't affected them too much overall.. so far.

- None of the games so far have been especially well played, with the possible exception of the game vs the Flyers. A win is a win, but this sub-par effort is going to catch up with them eventually.

Bolland is a great teammate by all accounts and a hard worker with a knack for scoring at key times. I would think he will assume a key leadership role in that locker room.

Bit of an update in here.

- Bernier is still solid, but he's not as obviously outplaying Reimer as he was earlier in the season.

- Kessel. Wow. Dude is on fire! That shot from the goal line was an absolute laser.

- Excelling in both PP and PK is making up for the shots against, puck possession, and faceoffs; I have to wonder how long they can keep that trend going though.

- Bolland is everything the team wanted Grabovski to be, as I read in an article this week. I agree completely. Smart at both ends, but goes to dirty areas and puts up points.

- Bozak out hasn't hurt them yet, but again I can only wonder how long before it does

As happy as I am with the record right now, it's hard to imagine them sustaining the pace for 82 games. Is Toronto really as good as their record indicates? I don't think so...

Kadri is acting up... or down, depending on how one looks at it.

When you have a coach that is demanding "toughness" from everyone on his team, some of the "skill" players do things like that.

Bolland, Bozak and Kadri (top 3 centers) all being out is making things tough. Holland really stepped in nicely, doing a good job on face-offs. It also allowed JVR to go back to wing, which paid immediate dividends. Smith and Smithson have done okay as call-ups.

Apparently Kessel was not at practice today, hope he's okay.

that was a very entertaining game to watch last night. However, watching the leafs blow a 4-1 lead was disturbing. one thing that really struck out to me was the leafs being outshot 17-0 in the third period (and i dont think they registered any shots in overtime).

Are the players having a hard time following Carlyle's defece first mentality, and going for defence only?

that was a very entertaining game to watch last night. However, watching the leafs blow a 4-1 lead was disturbing. one thing that really struck out to me was the leafs being outshot 17-0 in the third period (and i dont think they registered any shots in overtime).

Are the players having a hard time following Carlyle's defece first mentality, and going for defence only?

That was brutal. I don't even have an explanation. Half the period was on the PK and obviously doesnt help with the shot total (or scoresheet, for that matter), but beyond that there's no reason to not get a single shot. Should be happy to get out of that game with a point.

After the second period it looked like it was going to be a laugher. I like Carlyle's system for the most part, I'm just not sure if the players aren't executing or what. I wonder if the line juggling and revolving door of players is making things difficult.

I won't even comment on that tying goal, though. They deserved the result they got.

definitely got the result they deserved, it never should have gotten to the point where the tying goal (non-call) ended up being a deciding factor. I think Carlyle's plan is to protect the lead by keeping players on the outside, boxing them out, play on the perimeter and get it out. But the turnovers at thier own blue line, and neutral zone are killing them.

when they do get the puck into the O zone, there is no sustained pressure, or a wave of pressure. maybe i am just ranting. I have a feeling Carlyle may not last the entire season if this persists. I dont see a trade doing much good.

yeah, totally agree with that one. dump and chase, but they are losing the battles.

Yea and even when they do have control over it, instead of passing it they just ring it around the boards or eat it. Theres absolutely no structure.

i have a feeling the season is only going to get longer...Bozak is out for an "extended period of time" (sportsnet reported this earlier today), and kessel is hurting.

Dallas has Lehtonen in net and they have a ton of speed which might hurt the leafs tonight.

There we go! That's much better. Easily their best game of the season.

It's not often you see the Kings get dominated like that, usually they set the tone and pace of play. Jones absolutely stole that game! (Yet somehow TSN picked Doughty as the player of the game??)

Lots of positives to take from that one. I wonder if it's any coincidence that their best game of the year is also their first one without Phaneuf? It sure wouldn't have been Franson and Gardiner on that beautiful PP goal!