Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

New York Rangers 2013-2014

Steady, reliable 2nd pairing guy who isn't going to wow you with offense but plays mistake free hockey for the most part. Also gives NYR 3 natural LD and RD. I'm a big fan of the move and he'll be a good security blanket on a pairing with John Moore.

Am I the only one who gets irritated to no end when the players that I appreciate block shots? Last night in the USA-Russia Men's Olympic Hockey game, Ryan McDonaugh blocked 3 shots!! After each one, he limped off. When guys go down to block shots, it seems like they expose way too much unprotected body parts, to begin with. Secondly, isn't that what the goalie is for? Thirdly, I think a star defenseman's ability to mark attackers, carry the puck, set up guys for finishes, and play the point on the power play, are infinitely more important than "stealing" a save from Jonathon Quick (or King Henrik). Obviously I am a Rangers fan, who not only care NOTHING for who wins the Olympics (although I do enjoy watching the games), and everything for ensuring that our guys (Nash, King Henrik, Stepan, McDonaugh, etc.) just get home safely so we can make this Cup run.

For guys I care nothing for, on teams that I loathe (especially the Bruins and Flyers), sure these guys have my blessing to block shots all day. The more the merrier fellas, have at it.

One of my favorite d-men in the league, can't let that guy walk. Although I wouldn't mind seeing him with a winged wheel on his sweater. Wishful thinking.

lol over payment?

seriously? this is about as fair of a deal as you get.. danny g gets a bit of a raise for a decent term..

sather doesnt seem to overpaid his own free agents...

Yes because the Rangers are the only team to ever overpay or hand out a ridiculous contract.

Just amongst their neighbors you have the DiPietro 15 year deal (preceded by Yashin's ridiculous deal). And Kovalchuk's deal, which even after it was adjusted to become CBA-compliant was still an insult to the spirit of the salary cap.

Let's see, the Buffalo Sabres and their deals to Ehrhoff and Leino, the Red Wings deals to Zetterberg and Franzen, Luongo in Vancouver, Hossa in Chicago, the deals that Richards and Carter are under with LA but initially signed by Philly. The offer sheet from Philly to Weber, the Bryzgalov contract.

The Rangers have had their fair share of bad deals, but in the cap era they've been no worse than many other teams in the league.

One of my favorite d-men in the league, can't let that guy walk. Although I wouldn't mind seeing him with a winged wheel on his sweater. Wishful thinking.

One of my favorite D men too, and I am a Ranger fan. Glad to see he will not be wearing a winged wheel. I like this signing.

Speaking of which, is G going to be the next C? I noticed Richards, Staal, and G wearing the "A" in the game vs. TOR, but did not notice a "C." I am sure that the commentators addressed the issue of the vacated C, I just was not listening closely as I watched the game.

They are not naming a captain for the rest of the season. I think a lot depends on who's on the team next year. If Richards is bought out (and regardless of whether he's good friends with Marty St. Louis or not it makes cap sense) then you'd free up one of the A's. My guess is that the captaincy would be between Girardi or Staal, both have among the longest tenures on the team. Maybe they'll give it to Girardi since Staal is going to be in the same situation as Callahan was this year and at least Girardi is locked in for the next several years.

If they buy out Richards, I wonder who they'd give the other A. I could see McDonagh as a candidate or possibly Nash or Marty.

They are not naming a captain for the rest of the season. I think a lot depends on who's on the team next year. If Richards is bought out (and regardless of whether he's good friends with Marty St. Louis or not it makes cap sense) then you'd free up one of the A's. My guess is that the captaincy would be between Girardi or Staal, both have among the longest tenures on the team. Maybe they'll give it to Girardi since Staal is going to be in the same situation as Callahan was this year and at least Girardi is locked in for the next several years.

If they buy out Richards, I wonder who they'd give the other A. I could see McDonagh as a candidate or possibly Nash or Marty.

Thanks for this; I could not find an article on the matter.

I was surprised that Richards was even brought back this year, but glad to see him doing well this year. I do not know the cap implications as we move forward into 2014-2015, but he seems to provide reasonable production (leading scorer) at his cap hit ($6.7 mil/year for as long as he is a Ranger), for right now, and I expect for at least one more year. In 2020, I suspect he will not be worth the cap hit, so for sure, I expect to see him let go between now and then, the question is just when.

I hope the C is given to Girardi and not Staal. I thought that Staal was the best Defensive Defenseman last year, before his eye injury. Since that time though, I am not as impressed with him.

I also like McDonaugh as a potential long-term Captain, but I think he needs to wear the "A" first, if I am not mistaken? So, give him the "A" when it gets freed up.

There's a blurb on it in this article from Andrew Gross, one of the Rangers beat reporters:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/sather_and_vigneault_on_st._louis_for_callahan/

Cap implications for Richards aren't necessarily about next year, it's whether he intends to play the full 9 years. If he retires before that, the Rangers are assessed a cap recapture penalty which was part of the latest CBA. It basically punishes the front loaded/long term deals that added on dummy years to lower the AAV and artificially lower the cap hit. I don't know all the specifics of Richards deal on a year by year basis, but I believe the final 3 years of his deal pay out only $1MM per year in actual salary. Thus the Rangers "benefitted" from a big difference between his actual salary and his cap hit in the front end of his deal. They take the difference between actual salary and cap hit during the years he played and then spread it out over twice the remaining term on the deal when he retires so it creates a dead cap charge. So let's say they paid him $40MM in his first 4 years but his cap hit was only $6.67MM per year and he retires after this 4th year. The benefit to the Rangers was appx $13.3MM, so they'd take that amount and spread it out over the next 10 years. The Rangers get to escape all of this if they use their 2nd compliance buy out that was granted under the new CBA. They used their first on Redden last year.

It happened to the Devils when Kovalchuk retired, but since he only played a few seasons on his deal and the differential between salary and cap hit was relatively small, it amounts to a few 100K, albeit for a long time but that essentially becomes a rounding error in terms of the dead cap hit further down the road.

As far as captains go, I think it's either Girardi or Staal and like you, I'm leaning toward Girardi. For what it's worth he's supposedly really close with Callahan and despite not regularly wearing a letter up until this trade, he was usually the first choice back up for a letter when any of the Cs or As went on the shelf in recent years.

I was just reviewing UFA Centers, as the NYR seem to have a glaring lack of a #1 C. Paul Stastny looks like the closest thing to an available #1 C. Do the NYR have a chance at signing him?

Doubtful, he is a key component for the Avs.

Wishful thinking I guess, that Stasty would ask for more than the Avs are willing to give him.

Looks like some talent at C for Restricted FAs- Ryan Johanssen mos notably. I suppose I would rather the NYR make a run at him, but I could see a complete overhaul up the middle. Step is not a #1 C, Richards ought to play Wing (or just let him go), Brassard I think will be too expensive considering what you can get for his fee, and I think Dom Moore will command a high pricetag. So, maybe a bunch of new Cs from this FA batch- Stastny, Johanssen, maybe Brandon Sutter. After Game 3 it is painfully clear that the LAK top 5 players (Kopi, Carter, Gabby, Doughty, and then take your pick) are better than anything that NYR has, and that was the difference I think.

The Rangers don't have a center like Kopitar to play with him or nearly as much talent on other offensive lines to allow him to play against second or third D pairings.

The Rangers don't have a center like Kopitar to play with him or nearly as much talent on other offensive lines to allow him to play against second or third D pairings.

Was thinking about this this series may have been different, if the 2 CBJ/NYR trades could be undone

To the NYR:

Gaborik

Dubinksy

Anisimov (to shadow Kopitar)

To CBJ:

Nash

J Moore

Dorsett

Brassard

These 4 guys (Nash, J Moore, Dorsett, Brass) have all contributed since their arrival, but for these past 3 games and for the rest of the series, I would prefer Gabby, Arty, Dubinsky

nowadays, i dont think its adviseable to rebuild an entire position in free agency. the financial costs is just too much. I dont believe they will have the cap space to land 3 targeted centers, without harming the rest of their team. This is a team that has made the SCF, maybe a tweak or two and you can target a top center, but to get 3 for them would, in my opinion, be irresponsible, and pretty close to not possible.