Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Supplemental Discpline 2013-14

Now that there's an injury, Prust will definitely get a few games. Likely 2-3, but maybe only 1 since Stepan was still able to finish the game.

I know the refs are hands off, but 10 games seems a bit excessive, especially seeing the time of year. Curious to see what Prust gets, if anything.

It is one of the few suspensions specifically spelled out, similar to the automatic 10 for leaving the bench.

Prust got 2 games per TSN.ca.

NBC guys were talking about an elbow or forearm, not a stick.

Damn. Well, an injury seems to be the most significant criteria for a suspension. The fact that he finished the game will actually work against the suspension, as sad as that is. The NHL seems to react more forcefully if the sports highlight shows talk about someone not being able to finish a game.

I guess that the HNIC announcer must have misspoken about the stick hit; that explains why I didn't see it.

NHL video for Prust suspension: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=620385&catid=60

No NHL Player Safety video, at least yet, for Carcillo; NHL announcement with their network analysis video: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=720443&navid=nhl:topheads

I agree that the injury to Stepan is probably the criterion driving the Prust suspension, especially with surgery required. I think without the jaw injury, there'd be a lot more debate about the head being a "principal point of contact".

I don't think principal point of contact really matters when you leave your feet like that. Its charging/inteference at the same time and his jaw isnt broken if Prust doesnt make himself 6'7 by jumping like an idiot.

League is better at protecting its employees (refs) than the players (employees of the teams). I wish that would change.

Vigneault seems to think it wouldn't have happened if the Prust hit was called.

Realistically....they weren't likely to give Prust a 5:00 or 10:00 for that. Probably just 2:00 for interference...so he would have stayed in the game, and Carcillo (being Carcillo) might have taken it upon himself to go after him later anyway. The only thing that totally diffuses that situation is Prust being tossed...an I don't think that would have happened.

if the refs called the game better, do you think this still would have happened? the refs were pretty atrocious

I think the overly physical handling by the linesman created and escalated the confrontation with Carcillo. The Prust hit elevated the emotions in the game, but the linesman created the confrontation that resulted in the penalty/suspension.

2 games for Prust sounds about right.

Not sure how that sounds right when hits during the season like that got more. That was intent to injure period. He should get the same as Dan on this one. or bring them both to 5. Carbomb is fighting it anyway! I think he will win and it goes down to 3!

Not sure how that sounds right when hits during the season like that got more. That was intent to injure period. He should get the same as Dan on this one. or bring them both to 5. Carbomb is fighting it anyway! I think he will win and it goes down to 3!

It sounds right because there was nothing wrong with the hit itself, it was just late. Suspensions also tend to be less during the playoffs, historically.

I doubt Carcillo is going to win his appeal, it was a pretty cut and dry case.

If the hit was late then there was something wrong with it.

And it looked like Prust intentionally targeted Step's head.

Actually, most head shots didn't get that many games during the regular season, unless the guy had a history of suspensions. As much as the NHL has said that they were going to punish head shots, they have been pretty weak on the enforcement.

John Moore on Dale Weise last night. They called a match penalty on the ice...and Weise didn't sustain an injury (he left, but returned). I will be pissed if he gets anything less than Prust.

At the end of the game, Bourque and Dorsett got into it and Bourque threw a pretty good cross check and a punch with his stick still in his hand. He got 4:00 cross check and a game misconduct at 20:00. Wonder if they will look at that, or the attempted headbutt by Dorsett on Weaver late in the 3rd.

This rivalry has escalated into a nice little hatred over the course of this series.

I think no disciplinary action on the head butt is stupid.

But honestly players should use their sticks more is what the league is telling them. Staal with a cross check to the back of Crosby's head and the big swing at Desharnais's head with no calls or fines. Or all the spearing incidents throughout the playoffs with little to no penalties or fines. The NHL playoffs are being officiated like low div men's league with the league following suit. Been this way since the 04 lockout. Can't remember who said it but that goes back to calls being different in the regular season than in the playoffs. And again I can't stress enough ..... that injuries should have no impact on suspensions and fines. Either offenses are illegal or they are not. The NHL is just causing themselves more problems by having too much grey area in their rules.