Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Supplemental Discpline 2013-14

Figured we might as well start one since we had it last year. Colton Orr cross-check up high on Jay Rosehill should get looked at if you ask me.

I don't think he was complaining on not getting the call, more on how dangerous it was for the Duck to throw a knee out, that's a good way to have a career ending injury. Roy has always been pationate, even when coaching juniors. From the players standpoint I think they appreciated thier coach having thier backs.

Complaining about not getting a tripping call in a 6-1 game is pretty bad. Might see a coach on coach fight this year if he keeps it up.

if you look at the replay its a knee on knee hit. Lovejoy sticks out his leg

We appear to be on a record pace for suspensions.

Edler on Hertl - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433875

Kaleta on JJ - http://www.wgr550.com/Kaleta-faces-in-person-hearing-with-NHL/17505263

I haven't seen either, but knowing Kaleta's history and the fact that it is in person, it's likely more than 5...

Eller ran Hall into the boards pretty hard last night...got 2 for boarding...no word on if there will be any secondary looks.

Edler and Kaleta hits are very similar where they were coming from the side and the head was obviously the principal point of contact. Both head contacts could easily have been avoided so it will be interesting to see how many games each guy gets.

Kaletta has a long history of cheap shots and the Sabres appear to be trying to promote toughness in the organization this year. it will be interesting to see how the league addresses both of these issues.

Video: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=456728

It doesn't look to me like Edler is targeting the head, or concerning himself with avoiding it. It also looks like he's not too concerned with playing the puck. Unlike a lot of these hits we see, he didn't launch into it, just braced himself and blocked the other player.

The thing that jumps out at me in Shanahan's commentary is his suggestion of a better path for Edler to take, which would put Edler in a position where he could not make a play on the puck, and allow Hertl a chance to both avoid the check, and get the puck. I don't think that will sell.

Shanahan also didn't address one of his usual factors, the ability of the player being checked to see the check coming. It seems to me that a player in Hertl's position would spare at least a glance to the left, to see if the puck would be contested. And I could understand an expectation on Edler's part that Hertl would see the hit coming.

I think 3 games was fair. Anything more would've maybe been over the line. Edler, it looked like, was not headhunting. There's a big difference in foolhardy or reckless and intent to injure.

3 for Edler looks right. Kaleta, with his history, will likely get 7 or 8 for a similar play.

Apparently the NHL looked at Fisher running Franson into the glass last night (5 and a game for boarding), but it appears they don't think any supplemental is required. Neither do I, and neither does Franson, based on what he said after the game.

Kaleta gets ten games, 6th instance of supplemental discipline in the last four years, but Tomas Hertl is the one disrespecting the game.

Right.

How did Lapierre not get called for that...? The ref was standing RIGHT THERE. Lappy was an aggitater in the AHL, but he also played a decent skill game, in fact...he was key in Hamilton's 2007 Calder Cup...but I don't ever remember him being dirty, until he got to the NHL. He even fought in the 'A'!

I saw the STL/SJ hit tonight...I'm guessing with history taken into account 5-10 games. But, I'd be surprised if he gets more than Kaleta. He has a reputation, but not as bad (yet) as Kaleta's.

I think that when LaPierre hit Nichol, the ref's head had already turned to follow the puck rebounding off the post, so he didn't see the nature of the contact. The first few seconds of the video give the best look at that.