Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2013-14

It was good to see them start out with two wins without a great effort in game one. I agree with (chippa) that this is the best Caron has looked. I'm excited to see what Soderberg looks like with a full training camp under his belt.

After such rapid fire games last year I'm almost bummed they are not playing until Thursday.

Who do you think would sit when Soderberg returns? If Caron keeps up this intensity, I don't think he'd be sent down. I think it would be either Reilly Smith or they'd wait for an injury to open up a spot for Soderberg.

I think Caron will be the 13th forward while Soderberg gets a shot. If Soderberg fails to show like he did in the preseason then those two will battle for the spot .

Just throwing this in here in case anyone was and is unaware. There's a pretty cool documentary that airs on NESN (NE Sports Network) about the Bruins leading up to the current season, "Behind the Bs". I'd missed it every time it is on TV but you can find the full episodes online on youtube.

Thanks, I had wanted to see that.

On a different note, I'm not sure of the status for Eriksson -- I hope he's just day-to-day, but it's too late to look without seeing a score..... -- but I will say I don't quite like the combination with Bergeron. I'm not sure whether two defense-first forwards works well on the number two line. I'd rather see Eriksson with Kelly and Soderberg, but my guess is they want him on the second line since he's been a thirty goal scorer before.

I've said it before, but I don't like Eriksson with Bergeron and Marchand; his goal scoring has gone down for four straight seasons, and this year doesn't look like it's going to break the trend. I'd rather see Reilly Smith moved back to the second line.

Also, at the beginning of the year, I thought that maybe Bartkowski was playing better than Hamilton, but I think Dougie is starting to play better defensively. He's not getting caught up on the pinch as much as last year.

Noone questioned his skill. The problems were his effort and attitude, the fact that he accepted his demotion to the third line instead of playing his ass off to prove he belonged higher on the depth chart. To add perspective, he did it against a bad team shooting on a prospect goalie and then borderline NHLer.

Seguin just didn't really fit the system in Boston. He will look better and thrive in a more offensive system. Bruins are a D-first, grind it out, scoring by committee team.

Anyway, they started off great tonight then crapped out badly. The Sens made them look foolish at times. Terrible turnovers.

He was second in the league in plus-minus two years ago and eighth last year. While the B's are certainly D-first, I think Seguin's pedigree led people to overlook that he had turned into one of their best backcheckers.

I saw a game or two of sulking, but overall I didn't notice any difference in effort on the third line compared to with Bergeron and Marchand; it seemed like he had been shoved into the doghouse and wasn't coming out. Also, yesterday's game took him from just below PPG to just above.

That said, would the wake up call during the playoffs have been enough, or was this trade necessary to spur him to this production? I like Reilly Smith, but I have a hard time believing this trade won't be viewed as a lopsided loss in the future. I think they bailed too early on a 21-year-old, although the Rask and Bergeron extensions came a week later, so somebody was going to have to leave to make room for those dollars.

On the first episode of Behind the B it showed that the Bruins brass had made up their mind during the Rangers series that his time was done. Bruins assistant GM said it best when he said the effort is always a half second late. Reilly Smith is a nice player but let's not forget they also got this guy Eriksson who has started producing points of late.

it seemed like he had been shoved into the doghouse and wasn't coming out

That was the issue, as much as anything. No matter what he did, he was never getting out and he knew it. When that happens, it can weigh on a guy and impact his performance.

The B's tried to turn Seguin into a pro. He refused family living to be on his own in Boston. One of the most telling signs he doesn't get it; when asked what he would tell the next Bruins top pick his answer was "get married at18".

I'm not sold on Eriksson yet, but I would gladly love to be wrong.

Same here... He's been looking tentative at times. Possibly, an aftereffect of the concussion he had suffered. He's definitely a 20-goal scorer.

On Seguin, I agree that he just did not fit in with the B's. It looks, though, him and Peverley are fitting well in Dallas: both get regular PP duty, Seguin is playing his natural, center position and they both look very confident.

I really hope that the trade results do work out for the Bruins.

Since he's returned from the concussion he has 2-5-7 totals in 9 games. I'll take Eriksson and Smith and first in the East over Seguin and 10th in the West anyday and twice on Sunday.

Since he's returned from the concussion he has 2-5-7 totals in 9 games. I'll take Eriksson and Smith and first in the East over Seguin and 10th in the West anyday and twice on Sunday.

Meh, not completely sold on Eriksson which is surprising because I really liked him Dallas. Not sure whether its a fit thing or what, just doesnt seem to be the same player.

Teams standings should be irrelivent when veiwing this trade. Boston is a much better team even without Eriksson and Smith. Everyone would agree, Boston would be exactly where they are now had the trade not gone down.

I don't really care for the trend of "skilled" players not fitting into the Bruins system.

Let's see this list of skill players who didn't fit. The brass didn't see the effort and developing maturity/professionalism that they wanted in Seguin and Kessel asked out.

Lots of nice press for the Bruins recently. Just read that Julien visited Stamkos in his hospital room after that game and that Chara sent him a note on behalf of the entire team. I don't know if that happens with other teams, or even in other sports, but it sure reflects well on the Bruins.

And then this from today's Globe: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/26/respect-and-communication-are-hallmarks-zdeno-chara-captaincy/xkvKAwtV3bKUl9eRc2CwuO/story.html

I've run hot and cold on Chara over the years, but it's hard to think of a guy who has grown into the role of captain better than he has done.