Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rsakas

Trying out for the roller team at my college.. Lots of questions.. Help!

First, what is a girdle? Compression shorts that hold the cup or the padded shorts?

Do I need padded shorts?

Can I wear ice hockey ones?

If I do, will i be made fun of?

Is it okay to wear sweatpants over my pads? ( we get special matching ones so I don't want to buy a pair if I'm just going to have to buy another pair in a few weeks. )

Do you wear a mouth guard?

Full face mask?

What do they make you do at tryouts?

Any tips?

I've never played on an actual team before just street hockey with friends. The coach said most people make it unless their really horrible. I'm great at street hockey, I'm a decent skater but i don't know about both together, I'm really nervous!

Street hockey doesnt translate well to other forms of hockey just bc the size of the rink and the speed is up drastically even for lower levels of play. You can easily spot the street hockey guy bc they usually are skating with one leg and sent being the most predictive.

That being said, I don't know about you specifically. I would hit up a local rink that has pickup games and see what others are doing and see where you are. you will probabkyprobably end up being better off playibgplaying on one of their rec leagues for a season and getting the skills you may need and then going for the college team next year or kid season.

I don't mean to be mean I'm just seeing by the questions being asked that trying out for a college team may be a bit embarrissing and discouraging. And no one should be discouraged in playing.

First, what is a girdle? Compression shorts that hold the cup or the padded shorts?

Do I need padded shorts?

Can I wear ice hockey ones?

If I do, will i be made fun of?

Is it okay to wear sweatpants over my pads? ( we get special matching ones so I don't want to buy a pair if I'm just going to have to buy another pair in a few weeks. )

Do you wear a mouth guard?

Full face mask?

What do they make you do at tryouts?

Any tips?

I've never played on an actual team before just street hockey with friends. The coach said most people make it unless their really horrible. I'm great at street hockey, I'm a decent skater but i don't know about both together, I'm really nervous!

a) I wear Shock Doctor padded compression shorts as a girdle for roller. They make roller specific girdles, and ice specific girdles. Most prefer padded shorts or an inline girdle, for inline.

b) You do not need padded shorts if you are wearing a girdle.

c) You can wear ice hockey pants for inline, but it will be hot, depending on where you are. If you are in Canada in a cool place, then you will be fine. If you where I am, then you will drop from heat exhaustion.

d) I cannot comment on this. You incarnated into an Insane Asylum- Earth, in the 3rd dimensional physical reality. So, personally, I never expect civilized behavior from Earthlings. Instead, I consider civility to be a bonus, and am thus always pleasantly surprised when I meet lovely individuals, and have lovely interactions. Expectations lead to disappointments. I would expect you to be made fun of, for at least one aspect of yourself, if you are in the US and trying out for this roller hockey club; either at the tryout, wherever you are coming from beforehard, and/or possibly to where you travel to afterward.

e) Sure, you can wear sweatpants. You can do anything you want, with this type of gear, as long as you are comfortable. Inline specific pants will always be more mobile, but if you do not have an LHS close and $50-125 ready to spend, then you will be wearing sweatpants.

f/g) I always wear mouthguard and full cage for all ice and inline. Most do not, but again, I believe we have incarnated into an Insane Asylum, so I do not bother the other inmates about their gear choices, or lack thereof. Wearing mouthguard decreases chances of concussion, wearing cage increases chances of leaving with all your teeth. I believe I am smart, and have nice teeth, and thus it is a no brainer to me to want to keep both. However, maybe others think they got dealt a bad lot in these matters, and thus feel little desire in preservation.

i) I don't know what you will do at tryouts- probably a light warmup, followed by extreme conditioning challenge so the coaches can identify the fit from the unfit, and then skating and shooting drills/ scrimmage.

j) Tips- if everyone makes it, then just relax and enjoy. But yea, have a clue about the gear before you go in there, and know the order to put everything on, otherwise you will be delayed in getting out there to skate.

A girdle takes traditional hockey pants and gives you a more conformed/fitted feel. When you have a girdle, you will have to buy a shell, or in your case, inline hockey pants. They make inline girdles and are usually much more breathable. Some guys don't even wear a girdle. As for sweats, I'm sure you could get away with it for tryouts. Mouthguards and facemasks would be based on the league's protocol but I would imagine the former would be recommended and the later mandatory. Tryouts vary but I could imagine that the coaches or captains will put you in game-like situations and see how you handle yourself. If they don't have cuts, maybe you can put on the 'practice squad' and develop your skills. I'd also look to attend as many open hockey sessions as possible. We all have to start somewhere...

Tips - check your wheels and consider investing in a set that suits the surface you will be playing on. Street hockey wheels will be too hard and slip to much if you are on a tiled indoor surface or wood.

- Since it sounds like you've talked to the coach, I'd contact him or other players with a lot of these questions. He should be able to give you specific answers about what you need equipment-wise (mouthguard, cage, etc), and give you general info for what they're looking for in try outs.

- If they give everyone matching pants, they probably don't want you wearing ice hockey pants over top of them. Depending on what the team issues you, it might be worth having two pairs, so that you can wear one to practice or pick-ups or men's league, and have the other pair only for games, so that you don't wear out the team pants. I don't know what surface you're playing on, but nylon roller hockey pants will slip a little when you fall, so some of your momentum gets transferred into sliding. If I remember correctly, cotton sweatpants typically don't slide at all, so if you fall that momentum will get transferred to you and will be a more jolting. Lastly, as unfortunate as it is, people do either consciously or unconsciously judge based on appearance. It might be worth dropping $30 on pants just so you fit in, especially if this is your first time playing. Sometimes feeling less distinguishable can calm your nerves and let you concentrate on playing. (Always remember, if the cool kids are doing it, it's important that you do to.) Plus, if you don't make the team, then you'll have pants to wear when you go to sticktime to practice, so that you can make the team next year.

Tips: If you can get time to practice before your tryout, work on improving skating over other skills. It's easier to teach someone how to shoot or where to go than it is to teach them how to skate.