Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoDakJoe

E28 Mako

Forgive me if this has been covered in another string, but I couldn't find it. After seeing the Easton's marketing on the E28 lie, a dual lie stick seems like a pretty good idea for my son's game. My question is: Is this a new concept or have other sticks had a dual lie configuration?

Curves that have a dual lie have been around for a while now, Easton is just the first company to really market them. The person who helped easton develop this curve has also helped Bauer with their p14 curve and CCM with their Landeskog curve. You can also use a Sakic curve and their variants with this type of shooting style.

"Dual lie" is just marketing spin for a blade with a radius on the bottom. You can't buy a retail blade without a radius on the bottom, and haven't for well over a decade.

whether the E28 is going to help him or not depends a lot on your son's playing style. If the E28 was an revolution with it's dual lie, then everyone would be using it today.

However that's not the case.

if you look at their promotional video, you'll find they only feature the snapshot. Kovalchuk uses a curve that is in someways similar to the E28, and does pretty well with it.

Sidney Crosby on the other hand doesn't and isn't doing too bad.

Dual lie is relatively new, having a rocker to the blade isn't, but this is the first time I see talk about having 2 distinct position on the blade which would be 1. stick handling and passing and 2 the wrist/snapshot stance.

Dual lie is relatively new, having a rocker to the blade isn't, but this is the first time I see talk about having 2 distinct position on the blade which would be 1. stick handling and passing and 2 the wrist/snapshot stance.

It's just marketing

Actually, if you think about it, there can be an infinite amount of lies, not just two. Given that a blade has a rocker of course. Imagine spinning that!

"Dual lie" is just marketing spin for a blade with a radius on the bottom. You can't buy a retail blade without a radius on the bottom, and haven't for well over a decade.

What was the last pattern out without a rocker? If I recall correctly, I think the Shanahan was pretty flat on the bottom.

What was the last pattern out without a rocker? If I recall correctly, I think the Shanahan was pretty flat on the bottom.

and patrick kane seems to be doing just ok too! But you're right, the rocker wasn't very noticeable on the Shanahan.

I just handled an E28 in a shop, but it definitely felt locked in a 5-ish zone on the mid-heel and of course, the toe is radiused away from there. I swear I could feel a strong inflection point at the heel and the other end at the middle of the blade, where that "puck handling zone" was pretty locked in. I know it's not perfectly flat, but I guess it felt like it snaps in or out of that heel zone.

it still had a mild rocker. The only blades without much of a rocker were the Black Beauty blades.

Shanny and Lidstrom both have a minimal radius on the bottom, even the old Thornton had a little bit.

Switched to it a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. I tend to carry the puck away from my body and shoot with it pretty close (snappers and pull wristers). Works perfectly for that style. Plus I feel like I can get a good quick shot off in really tight (e.g. quick elevation of a loose puck that's in your skates). Took a couple of games to get the length just right, but once I got that dialed in it was great.

Only thing I don't like is that forehand sauce is a little tougher (for me any way), but I was coming from a Lid which is brain dead easy to chuck with. Backhand sauce and backhand shots are super easy. It opens up so late you have a pretty decent sized flat section of heel to work with. Definitely wont work for everyone but suits my style pretty well.

Regarding the "dual lie" discussion, hard to explain but it always seem like I've got blade on the ice. Doesn't seem to be any more rockered than a Hall but it seems to play differently somehow (at least for me).

I have a P14 Total One (E28 clone) and I don't like it.

I feel like my toe is never on the ice. I really have to switch my entire playing style (just normal crouch with hands low in front of the body) to get the blade flat. It's the same lie as other sticks I use. I have a decent shot and better accuracy, my strengths being my skating and shooting accuracy. With the P14 I often miss high and wide when shooting from anything but the toe.

In my opinion it's strictly a "shooting" curve. Built for shooters not puckhandling. If your son is young I don't recommend it at all, it teaches bad mechanics. Most kids learn to shoot from the heel or mid portion of the blade first, then move to toe. The blade is much shorter than others, which also is not good for beginners who are still working on their puckhandling. Even for advanced youth players, I wouldn't recommend it.

I think this has been discussed but the p14 is not a clone of the e28. P14 is quite a bit shorter I think. Would agree not to start a young player on it. I am starting my little guy on a basic mid curve (p92) and he can make his own decisions on where to go from there as his game develops.

I think this has been discussed but the p14 is not a clone of the e28. P14 is quite a bit shorter I think. Would agree not to start a young player on it. I am starting my little guy on a basic mid curve (p92) and he can make his own decisions on where to go from there as his game develops.

Please confirm if you can.

I've heard from several people that Bjugstad developed the P14 for Bauer based on the E28. Maybe not spec for spec, but extremely close from what I've heard.

The P14 has a very different shape than the E28. The toe of the P14 gets very narrow, declining in height from both the top and the bottom, which is what I didn't like about it, it just felt like the toe of the blade was unusable. The E28 retains much more of its height from my experience with it. The P14 felt quite similar to the old Easton Kariya (late 90s) to me.

The P14 has a very different shape than the E28. The toe of the P14 gets very narrow, declining in height from both the top and the bottom, which is what I didn't like about it, it just felt like the toe of the blade was unusable. The E28 retains much more of its height from my experience with it. The P14 felt quite similar to the old Easton Kariya (late 90s) to me.

Don't know why you'd say that, but I guess I'll just ask an Easton or Bauer rep the next time I talk to one.

My original point stands, it's not a good curve for beginners or children. Even watching the E28 video on YouTube Bjugstad deliberately shows how the toe is off the ice when catching passes on the heel. If you're a beginner, you have one small spot to catch passes or the puck goes flying off your stick.

I can use the P14, but I don't like it based on the overall length of the blade not of the toe width.

P14 was a development from Scott when he was associated with Bauer and the E28 can be said that it is the evolution of the P14. As Chadd has said the Dual Lie is all marketing spin and Easton is selling more on the premise of a pattern making a player shoot better with a few small tweaks to the stiffness of the blade, but in actuallity the flex profile with a blade a player is comfortable with can improve a players shot more than a toe curve with a skinny toe area and a rockered blade. I think they are good sticks, but need more emphasis on the sticks than dual lie and a pattern as the marketing focus. I don't like the E28 and want to be told how the other features of the stick will make it perform better for me.

Don't know why you'd say that, but I guess I'll just ask an Easton or Bauer rep the next time I talk to one.

My original point stands, it's not a good curve for beginners or children. Even watching the E28 video on YouTube Bjugstad deliberately shows how the toe is off the ice when catching passes on the heel. If you're a beginner, you have one small spot to catch passes or the puck goes flying off your stick.

I can use the P14, but I don't like it based on the overall length of the blade not of the toe width.

It's very simple, all you have to do is look at them next to each other, particularly towards the toe. The P14 narrows towards the toe and the kind of squares off, while the E28 maintains its height and the toe is much rounder.

I have both P14 and E28. Compared to each other:

E28

- about .5" longer

- more toe, also a bit more heel

- rounder, pointier toe

P14

- about .5" shorter

- more mid curve, toe is more straight

- toe is more square on top

The E28 is not a pattern a beginner should use, but in the hands of a good shooter it will work well. I took about 500 shots from it while playing goal at the EASTON Mako training event where most of the guys were pretty good players. It did shoot well, not for everyone, not intended to be for everyone. But since I knew what everyone was shooting with, I kept my glove high and most went right in it. ;-)

The E28 is not a pattern a beginner should use, but in the hands of a good shooter it will work well. I took about 500 shots from it while playing goal at the EASTON Mako training event where most of the guys were pretty good players. It did shoot well, not for everyone, not intended to be for everyone. But since I knew what everyone was shooting with, I kept my glove high and most went right in it. ;-)

Very interesting, do you know if many goalies change their strategy depending on what curve players use?

Very interesting, do you know if many goalies change their strategy depending on what curve players use?

Yes, I do look at curves, if someone has a huge curve or loft, I can assume a majority of their shots will be high, backhands low, etc. Depends on how fast the play is and if I have time to think. With the E28, hand positioning and where puck is on the blade are good indications of how the shot is going to come off. Also when feet stop moving is indication player is going to shoot. Best way to score is shoot while feet are moving. :smile:

I found it easier to shoot low with the e28 than with the heel curve I was using previously. I also think the release is a little quicker as I'm not rolling it from heel to toe. It's already on the toe,so just let it go. It's not as hard of a shot from 30 feet but those aren't going in much these days for me anyway Rather trade accuracy and quick release from within 20 ft for a couple of extra mph at 30ft. To Jimmy's point if the Puck is in shooting position you can let it go at any point and not have any hitch as you load up.

Lastly, because of the shape of the toe you can really pull it close and change the angle on the pull wrister. goalies have told me that the quick change of angle can be difficult to handle. Certainly helped me to sneak a couple in short side that would have been saved by just a regular wrist shot.