Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malcb33

55 Flex- Improves skate flex

This could solve some lacebite issues for some, but I can imagine it might cause some issues with heel lock, though.

It's pretty sad that people have to come out with an aftermarket solution for skates being too stiff. That said, it looks like a great idea to me. It shouldn't be an issue with heel lock, assuming your heel is actually locked in. It could expose those who are only locked in because they're using ski boots.

I'm wondering how this affects skates being tied snug enough around the ankle. Would be an interesting product for some one on MSH to review.

Were I still in Vapors I feel like this might be beneficial. I could never feel like I could get the skate to flex. I only realized this after moving into a softer boot and can now feel when the foot gives some flex. It actually freaked me out the first few times.

It's pretty sad that people have to come out with an aftermarket solution for skates being too stiff. That said, it looks like a great idea to me. It shouldn't be an issue with heel lock, assuming your heel is actually locked in. It could expose those who are only locked in because they're using ski boots.

I think skates have been too stiff for a few years. Even some pro's skip the top eyelet. Yeah, you can say it's preference, but what it really means is they prefer more ankle flex which the boot doesn't give them. Please Bauer, you own mission now...bring back the supple fit concept. Or someone stock some damn 707's.

It's not as simple as that. For instance, I typically need more lateral stiffness, granted, that's probably to make up for poor skating. However, decreasing the overall stiffness of the boot creates a feeling of falling when I go through tight turns. Skipping the top eyelet, and using a stiffer skate is a compromise for me to get the best of both worlds.

On the topic of this 55 Flex thing, I'm curious how it affects the tightness around the top of the ankle as well, I usually tie those just as tight as the ones around the curve of the ankle. This would definitely prevent that.

You're right. I should have noted that graf no longer makes the 707, as it has been replaced by the G7. However, my point still stands. Find me a reasonable concentration of LHS's that carry the G7. Almost anybody that merely wants to try on a pair is out of luck.

95% of high end skate buyers want them as stiff as possible because "that's what the pros use"

95% of high end skate buyers want them as stiff as possible because "that's what the pros use"

Just like all the kids that had 100 flex ultra lites w/ 4 inches cut off circa 1995.

Hmm, I just don't get it, someone enlighten me please:

This is a piece of plastic, correct? It has minimal to no give I assume, so it creates a stiff connection between the top two eyelets of the boots and the eyelets of the pad. I notice there is an angle on the pad eyelets so it would move the top eyelet further to the front.

If you tie your laces tight on top (so the part of the boot that has the eyelets wraps around your leg), what is the difference between with and without this pad (due to the stiff connection between the eyelets)? And if you keep em loose you hit the "barrier" of laces on forward-flex a little bit later anyway, with or without the pads?

9/20 posts on the Graf skates, really does look like this thread is hijacked....could we split it up so the information about the 55-flex keeps in place?

Hmm, I just don't get it, someone enlighten me please:

This is a piece of plastic, correct? It has minimal to no give I assume, so it creates a stiff connection between the top two eyelets of the boots and the eyelets of the pad. I notice there is an angle on the pad eyelets so it would move the top eyelet further to the front.

If you tie your laces tight on top (so the part of the boot that has the eyelets wraps around your leg), what is the difference between with and without this pad (due to the stiff connection between the eyelets)? And if you keep em loose you hit the "barrier" of laces on forward-flex a little bit later anyway, with or without the pads?

I would think having the top eyelets further forward from the back of the boot allows for the increased forward flex. I don't think the material itself flexes much.

Just saw this on OTR. Has anyone had any experiences with it?

http://www.55flex.com/

Seems interesting....

They work very well my son has been using hem since last summer! Hes big tall and doesn't bend properly at the knees when the skates were done up properly but doesn't fit wel in a lower cut boot. Perfect solution.

I would think having the top eyelets further forward from the back of the boot allows for the increased forward flex. I don't think the material itself flexes much.

That is correct it allows the foot to be stable in the boot locked in at the heel but still have more forward flex similar to having the top eyelet undone. I believe the mount gained is around 12% more forward flex then stock with it still tied snug at the top. Like I said above it has really helped my son in him getting his knee's bent. I will have them on his new Grafs when they come in. I will try and get a before and after video.

I'm a big guy, using what I would consider a medium-stiff flex boot (Vapor:Shift). I'm wondering if this would be helpful or unnecessary?

I tie the tops of my skates super tight. But I prefer it that way.

I had a custom pair of CL U+'s that, aside from being too big, were actually too stiff even for me. I'm 235 with huge legs, and even I couldn't power through those things.

Well, I just constructed a pair from heavy duty plastic as I was bored while sitting in my freshly "baked" RX60s, will try them once the skates are ready to be taken for a spin - should provide me with a general idea on how this thing works, less durable of course.

Just went for a quick skate, mounted my improvised solution on one skate only to be able to compare. The concept does work as advertised in that it allows a slightly (not much but noticeable) greater forward flex with the laces still really tight on the upper part of the boot - I used to tie the top two eyelets rather loosely. But I don't know if this reduces the "power" you generate by flexing your boots, the energy that you put into the boot at the beginning of your stride is released when you extend the leg to really push out.

Once we've get our "rink" back in working condition (we were hit by the flood) I'll be able to test them during a game. So far I like the feeling and will probably order them once they are available.

Can someone explain to me how this differs from skipping eyelets? I like the increased forward flex I get from skipping the top eyelet, but that means my side to side stability is affected as well. Will this product solve my problem?

Can someone explain to me how this differs from skipping eyelets? I like the increased forward flex I get from skipping the top eyelet, but that means my side to side stability is affected as well. Will this product solve my problem?

From my experience with my DIY solution on an RX:60 roller skate: it does offer better side-to-side stability than skipping the eyelets, but of course it is different than having your laces tight all the way up without this extension. From my experience over the past few skates it works really nice, I've got some great forward flex and side-to-side is sufficiently stable, I can tie the laces as hard as I want and still get that flex + stability.

r0tx.jpg