Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjpisat

new warrior elbow pads

Do they offer better mobility than the Jofa/Reebok pro models?

I hate Reebok (both pro and retail) elbows, they restrict movement way too much. Shooting is very awkward with the pads fighting back when you straighten your arm.

I think they are better in that regard.

I think they are better in that regard.

I agree. Seem to be a very mobile pad. Again, without the tricep pinch

I have the AX2. They are a bit bulkier than what I'm used to. Once I skated with them the first time I didn't even notice they were on after the first few minutes. I didn't wear shoulder pads though this first time.

I picked up a pair of these (AX1) last week. I will be giving a review on them in a couple months. I can say that they fit me as well as my Jofa 9144 Pro's and even better in some places. I went with a large and for the first time in my life I dont have an elbow pad pinching my tricep.

Still curious about possibly heat molding pads such as these to fit that much better.

How tall are you if u dont mind me asking?

Still curious about possibly heat molding pads such as these to fit that much better.

Other than right at the bony point of the elbow,

I doubt it would do much for you, unless you have really ripped or really oddly shaped arms. For most people, I would think that between the give in the pad and the give in the flesh, you mold them one time, and they won't fit the same way next time.

I think most people will be able to fit multiple sizes. I could go medium or small but went medium. See what fits and feels best. Ax2 and ax3 are both good. I don't think many would need ax1. I just played for a year with cheap Easton's. Just started skating/playing a year ago so I've taken many spills and haven't gotten hurt

I have recently ordered the AX2 based on the good reviews in here, and I really like them. Even though they are not broken in yet they feel very comfortably, the lock is great and the floating biceps guard accommodates my Jofa 8800 segmented biceps guard.

Right now I am having a hard time deciding which will be my main pads next season, the Bauer Vapor XXXX (similar to the X7.0) or the AX2, both are rather similar in fit and level of protection, while the AX2 has the more pronounced elbow cradle and the better placed sling-wrap strap. But one thing is for certain, my backup pads (Easton 700, not the NHL version though) are being retired.

The AX2 is a great pad, and while I couldn't try the AX1 I am more than certain the AX2 will be sufficient protection for our full-contact league. I would definitely recommend those provided they hold up well, so far the workmanship seems great.

As for sizing reference: I am 180cm (5'10"), 85kg (187lbs) and a size SR/M fits me perfectly, while I am SR/M in the Bauer Vapor XXXX and SR/L in the Easton 700 and Easton EQ20.

I'm 6ft but weigh 234. If I was under 220 I would probably go with Med. these are high volume pads for sure. Love them.

Has anyone had the AX1 that can give a review of sorts on it? I've been waiting on these for sometime now but cannot make up my mind between the AX1 vs. CCM Crazy Lights. I have RBK 7K Pro Elbows and I understand the Warrios are very similar, but I also have the CL shin pads and shouldies and I'm extremely happy with them. I've checked out the CL Elbows,they look much less bulky, are a 3 piece design, and are lighter vs AX1. Any thoughts on the AX1's will be greatly appreciated it. cheers

I've had these now for almost 2 months and plan on giving a long term review. I can't comment on the CCM CL elbow pads, however I can say that I can't believe elbow pads getting much lighter than the AX1's. The AX1's are extremely protective, light and mobile. But in the end, it all comes down to what best fits you. Hope this helps.

Has anyone had the AX1 that can give a review of sorts on it? I've been waiting on these for sometime now but cannot make up my mind between the AX1 vs. CCM Crazy Lights. I have RBK 7K Pro Elbows and I understand the Warrios are very similar, but I also have the CL shin pads and shouldies and I'm extremely happy with them. I've checked out the CL Elbows,they look much less bulky, are a 3 piece design, and are lighter vs AX1. Any thoughts on the AX1's will be greatly appreciated it. cheers

I've never used the AX1s, but purchased a pair that you can now find in the sell section. I've tried them on along with the CCM Crazy Lights and my current pads the 2012 Blue and Grey Warrior Projekts.

From just trying the AX1s on they lock in your arm quite well (it couldn't get them to easily slip or shift), the middle strap is very comfortable and they seem like they'd be VERY protective, but are a bit bulky. The bicep guard is also looser than the guard found on the CCM CLs and I find that more comfortable. The bicep guard strap also seems thicker than the one on the Projekts and seems like it'd be more durable over time.

The CLs are definitely the lightest high end pads. The bicep guards are tighter on these than on the Warrior pads and on the Nike and Nike Bauer pads I've used previously - they may break in with time, but I didn't find them as comfortable as the other options. The three piece design does feel mobile, but I also felt I the Projekts were a little more mobile. SmokinApricot has a LTR going for the CL eblows: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63397-ccm-cl-elbow-pads/

The Projekts are a little more comfortable for me than the CLs and the AX1's and they're also lighter than the AX1's, but aren't quite as light as the CLs. The top straps on my Projekts have stretched out after a year of use (as mentioned the one on the AX1s seems like it's thicker and more durable), but the middle and bottom straps are holding up well and my elbow is still locked in well. For me the Projekts are a great balance of mobility and protection for the beer league hockey I play. If I was playing more competitive hockey I'd likely opt for the bulkier and slightly heavier (they aren't heavy, just aren't quite as light as the CLs or Projekts. They don't feel heavy on your arms at all...just a little bulky, but light for such a bulky and protective pad) AX1s as they definitely seem like they'd be more protective. You can find a full review I wrote on the Projekts here: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/62127-warrior-projekt-elbow-pads-2012-grey-and-blue/

As A2rhino mentioned the fit is the most important thing so try on the pads in person and decide which fit you prefer. I prefer the fit and feel of the Projekts, but both the CLs and AX1s are very nice pads.

I'm 6ft but weigh 234. If I was under 220 I would probably go with Med. these are high volume pads for sure. Love them.

To add to what althoma1 said, As I posted earlier (above) on.

I have been using the AX1 for about 2 months. I'm 6'1" 212 lbs. and went with the large. I previously wore 7K Pros in a medium, but the medium AX1s were a little too snug in the forearm for me.

The AX1s felt a little stiff and bulky "out of the box," but as a previous poster stated, I didn't even notice them once I started playing. I've skated with them about 8 times and I've gotten used to the perceived bulk, but they are still a little stiff... Which will subside in time.

Overall, I think this is a great pad and I would have to say that the feature I like most about them is the liner. Once you start to sweat the liner feels like it locks them into place. Slippage was an issue with the Warrior Projekt 2011 model that I owned, so I am glad to see an upgrade in this area for the top of the line pad from Warrior. I think these offer just as good of protection as my 7K Pros, so hopefully they can hold up as well. I am most interested in seeing how well the middle strap holds up, as this strap shredded over time with the afformentioned Projekts.

Nice job, Warrior.

I have been using the AX1 for about 2 months. I'm 6'1" 212 lbs. and went with the large. I previously wore 7K Pros in a medium, but the medium AX1s were a little too snug in the forearm for me.

The AX1s felt a little stiff and bulky "out of the box," but as a previous poster stated, I didn't even notice them once I started playing. I've skated with them about 8 times and I've gotten used to the perceived bulk, but they are still a little stiff... Which will subside in time.

Overall, I think this is a great pad and I would have to say that the feature I like most about them is the liner. Once you start to sweat the liner feels like it locks them into place. Slippage was an issue with the Warrior Projekt 2011 model that I owned, so I am glad to see an upgrade in this area for the top of the line pad from Warrior. I think these offer just as good of protection as my 7K Pros, so hopefully they can hold up as well. I am most interested in seeing how well the middle strap holds up, as this strap shredded over time with the afformentioned Projekts.

Nice job, Warrior.

Were your 7K Pro's a size 5? Thanks for the feedback

Nice job, Warrior.

I also used the 2010/11 white Projekts before the blue and grey ones I have now and did experience some slippage in those and had threads coming loose on the middle strap (that I had resewn) - they improved the elbow lock with the 2012 versions and I've used those for over a year with no issues with stitching coming out. So they addressed those two issues with the 2012 versions of the Projekts and its likely that it carried over to the AX1s.

The only issues I've had with the 2012 Projekts are the top bicep strap stretches out after a while and the splits before the forearm get bigger, but they're still very useable. The AX1s definitely won't have the split issue as they're two piece pads and the bicep strap seems thicker so should be more durable. The AX1s certainly seem to be one of the more protective pads I've ever seen.

Do they offer better mobility than the Jofa/Reebok pro models?

I hate Reebok (both pro and retail) elbows, they restrict movement way too much. Shooting is very awkward with the pads fighting back when you straighten your arm.

Finally pulled the trigger on the ax1, I have yet to play with them, but I agree that the Jofa/rbks were restrictive. As others have stated, the ax1's need to be broken into. But I really like the liner, strapping system, and the loose bicep guard. Went with senior mediums, my 7k pros were a size 5 but a tad too big for me. Will give a full review in a couple of months. Time to say bye to the RBKs and put them up for sale.

photo2_zpsbd316860.jpg

image_zps3e415400.jpegimage-2_zps767cf043.jpeg

image-3_zpsbc7ff1fe.jpeg

image-4_zpsfb941129.jpeg

image-5_zps403bb140.jpeg

Great comp pics. Been loving these and couldn't be happier with my decision to get them. You made the right choice going Med.