Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scopes

Cooke cuts Karlsson

This was posted on my friends FB page (he's a massive Senators fan). This is not even remotely funny... though I have to admit I chuckled a bit.

68JSt4Zl.jpg

Yep, Cooke owns a portable Blackstone and was sharpening his teammates' skates during the lockout.

David Perron owns one as well, and Jagr bought one after he experienced FBV.

Yep, Cooke owns a portable Blackstone and was sharpening his teammates' skates during the lockout.

David Perron owns one as well, and Jagr bought one after he experienced FBV.

I was going to photoshop it in "internet meme" style with "GOTTA GET EM EXTRA SHARP TONIGHT". I know, I know. "its not a laughing matter". yadda yadda

I really want an X01 now that I've tried FBV.

So for those that skate barefoot, you could easily take one of the kevlar socks and just cut the bottom off, essentially just wearing a kevlar sleeve from the ankle to the knee.

I think someone came out with an entire hockey sock with the kevlar in it, however, then you start to lose the light weight and breathability of the Edge socks that so many people like about them. That and I think they cost about $75 or $80 a pair.

So for those that skate barefoot, you could easily take one of the kevlar socks and just cut the bottom off, essentially just wearing a kevlar sleeve from the ankle to the knee.

I think someone came out with an entire hockey sock with the kevlar in it, however, then you start to lose the light weight and breathability of the Edge socks that so many people like about them. That and I think they cost about $75 or $80 a pair.

You could also make a "stirrup" style but cutting off the toe and heel. That would help keep it in place.

You could also make a "stirrup" style but cutting off the toe and heel. That would help keep it in place.

I do skate bare foot and never thought of this. Just might look into cutting a pair for some protection. Not a bad idea.

I used to do the same thing back in the late 90s with my Bauer Supremes that came up too high on the ankle; they would cut into my leg as I skated barefoot. Made a sleeve out of a sock and taped it on before every game.

But once again, the easiest solution is to revise the socks across the board.

I actually bought a pair of compression jock pants that has cut resistant kevlar patches in strategic areas (including the calf) a while back, but never wore them. I'm thinking I might start now.

Edit: The pants that I bought were from a company called Hogan Hockey. They also make a kevlar sock, like the Bauer one, and a kevlar calf sleeve for those that prefer skating barefoot. http://www.hoganhockey.com/

The pants are definitely expensive, but I got them on eBay for something like $50.

But once again, the easiest solution is to revise the socks across the board.

Also the best solution. Now it's there and second nature. A lot of skaters who wear skate socks are less likely to change to a kevlar type sock, but still have to wear hockey socks.

I've been meaning to get an extra pair of socks to skate in...looks like a pair of cut resistant ones just made the top of the list.

Regarding wrist guards, does anyone know of any other options besides the Tuff n Lite?

Based on the fact that Karlsson's outer sock doesn't even look like it got cut, how could the inner sock even be a factor. I think for slices, the Kevlar socks are a great idea. I think I will get a pair for myself. However, I think if you have tendon under tension and you apply enough force to it on a small area, it will probably snap even if the skin isn't cut, no? Any doctors out there that can shed more light on this issue?

What a terrible accident, best of luck to him. I wish we could see more of Karlsson play. We just dont get to see the Sens that often in the West and since they are not a very big market dont make it on NBC very often.

I am the father of 2 boys that play traveling yout hockey (13 and 14 yrs old). Both have always wore short socks against my liking. I always place more importance on protective gear this but happens to be an area that I have not addressed. That said, some comments would lead you to believe that buying a pair fo protective socks would be inexpensive.

My boys are on the ice a minimum of 5 nights per week. We would need no fewer than 3 pair of kevlar socks each in order to make it feasible. I/we want the boys to play in clean gear. I have built a great drying room for all of our gear as a result. Considering my wife and I both work (time is valuable) I am not sure we could keep up with washing one pair of socks day in and day out. Thus we would need multiple pair at $30 US each that is not cheap.

So the question is do you wear these protective socks all the time or just in games? I would expect they would need to wear them all the time for consisitency of feel and protection.

Any one have any comments about the feel of the kevlar protective (or other brands for that matter) socks?

So did Reebok, on their Facebook page.

How soon until NHL EQMs take the matter into their own hands? I can see someone like Cass Marques (NYR) rigging up something.

He already has for 2 years. Dictated from higher up! No player is allowed to wear anything but a cut resistant sock!

Jason,

Excellent point. It's certainly possible to rupture the tendon that lies beneath without lacerating the overlying skin. It would be somewhat odd, however, to suffer a "70% tendon laceration" (which, if I recall correctly, is how the Senators described the injury) without an overlying skin wound. Typically, a tendon "rupture" is a 100% tear (sometimes called a "full-thickness" injury), and a "laceration" (which can be anything from a partial- to full-thickness injury) is associated with a penetrating wound. The penetrating wound can be either from the body's surface (think cut by a skate blade, gunshot wound, or some other penetrating trauma) or from an internal structure (the tendon is injured by an underlying fractured bone from blunt trauma). The Achilles is, unfortunately, particularly vulnerable to these types of injuries for a variety of reasons.

I'm not at all privy to the Senators' medical staff. They could be using "laceration" to describe another injury - a partial avulsion/rupture, for instance - or there could be some other misunderstanding. Most Achilles ruptures/lacerations will require surgical correction regardless.

Not to be a complete alarmist for the Senators fans out there, but this will likely be a long road back for a fabulous player. Really tough injury for any athlete, let alone someone who plays a sport with a lot of flexion-extension-type movements of the leg/ankle. Ugh.

Finally, a cut-resistant sock may very well help protect against a laceration to the skin and underlying structures; however, like you said, this probably won't help if you're struck with blunt force and your tendon simply ruptures. I have no interest in any company that manufactures these things, but I think that if it might help and I'm wearing socks anyway...

this question is for those of you that have worked with pro teams: are pro sharpenings really that much sharper than the average beer leaguer? I realize that pros can get their skates sharpened much more than us regular folks but it seems like even the slightest grazing of a skate blade causes pretty serious lacerations at the pro level which leads me to believe their edges are scary sharp.

this question is for those of you that have worked with pro teams: are pro sharpenings really that much sharper than the average beer leaguer? I realize that pros can get their skates sharpened much more than us regular folks but it seems like even the slightest grazing of a skate blade causes pretty serious lacerations at the pro level which leads me to believe their edges are scary sharp.

No, not really.

They're moving faster and apply more force than your avg beer leaguer. Now, a serious sharpener, pro or not, will leave a more defined edge (deburring with better honing stones - for instance, I buy expensive honing stones in multiple grits that cost me $15 each. I've been in shops where guys are using $.75 honing stones - same ones they sell for $2 which the grit has been sprayed on. The difference? On a cheap stone, you wear through it and it's smooth. A true honing stone will have grit throughout it) than someone who isn't a good sharpener, but I don't think it is playing much into what you're saying.

It was a freak accident. It should raise awareness of the possibility of these injuries happening. Reminds me of Clint Malarchuck. Or Taylor Hall last year. Skates are sharp. And you are playing a sport where you can consistently be tangled up and everyone has knife blades on their feet.

That being said. I (and this is my opinion) believe it was a rupturing of the tendon over and actual cut. No blood and the sock looked fine after. You can see no marks when he is being helped off and the camera is zoomed in on his feet.

The actual motion by Cooke looks to be more of a stomping (not that it was intentional) and not really a kick witch would produce a slashing motion. It just looks like he caught his Achilles at the right angle at the right time.

If it was a rupture, a Kevlar sock wouldn't have stopped it. Heck, layering up the with a foot sock and a hockey sock wouldn't have stopped it.

I just re-watched it and noticed that Karlsson has his hockey sock over his Achilles guard on his skate. And it still didn't look like it cut through the sock. Just doesn't look like it would lacerate his flesh while the sock was intact.

Funny that you say that, JR, because I thought precisely the same thing at the time.

These types of injuries are really tough; it's almost never clear if the "original" injury (i.e., when Karlsson hit the deck at the time of the incident) was what you see in the training room/ED/on the MRI, or if the player converted a partial-thickness to a full-thickness injury by bearing weight. Similarly, it's also possible that he had a something-less-than-70% injury from the collision itself that he worsened by trying to take a stride. I do think that it'd be relatively unlikely for him to have an anatomically-normal Achilles after the hit, and then injure it "for the first time" when he attempted to skate. My best guess is that the collision caused at least an initial partial tear that he perhaps made worse by weight-bearing.

In any case, it's awful news. Never want to see anyone get hurt at all, let alone suffer a possibly career-altering injury.

I saw a similar injury first hand about ten years ago. I was closing up the pro shop at the rink and was watching the beer league game while I waited for my buddy that was driving the zam that night. One of the guys went down on the ice, face down and a player from the other team tried to step/hop over him and landed on the back of the leg of the guy that was down on the ice. There wasn't much blood but he sustained serious damage. I saw him a couple years later and asked how he was doing and he told me that he had not been able to skate again and still needed to use a heavy duty brace every day and a cane more often than not if he was doing much walking.