Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Yes, the holes line up perfectly. Just had some CXNs put on my nexus skates.

It's crazy that I'm seeing more and more people switch out tuuks for cxns

Who woulda thought

• Like 1

It's crazy that I'm seeing more and more people switch out tuuks for cxns

Who woulda thought

I never would have thought that people would even have had such strong preferences for holders. I would have just thought that people would prefer to just keep the stock/ factory set intact above all other considerations, just to ensure the best integrity of the holder being locked in. I personally cannot really tell if I like the CXNs or if I just like the skate itself (or both?).

I never would have thought that people would even have had such strong preferences for holders. I would have just thought that people would prefer to just keep the stock/ factory set intact above all other considerations, just to ensure the best integrity of the holder being locked in. I personally cannot really tell if I like the CXNs or if I just like the skate itself (or both?).

I think for most people, they eventually end up liking the more aggressive pitch of the cxns. More than anything else about the skate, the pitch I think made me a better skater.

The combination of cxn holder and runner is only 60 bucks, vs 120-140 for tuuks. If you like the aggressive stance, it might be cheaper just to swap out holders than to get a profiling.

Plus since the holes line up perfectly (according to this thread) that it's easy and will not compromise the integrity of the boot at all. I plan on using tnuts and bolts to put my holder back on, because I think they hold better than rivets. I'll report back how it goes.

If you know where to get good profiling done. If you don't, how many multiples of that $15-20 are required to find it?

Profiling is only $15-20, not sure how $60 in holders/steel plus labor is cheaper.

Went through those options in the other thread. Even with profiling, your not guaranteed the same feel because the steel will still be contoured differently (different toe and heel). For me since they line up and aren't that expensive compared to tuuks, the decision is easy to just switch out the holder.

Profiling is only $15-20, not sure how $60 in holders/steel plus labor is cheaper.

Wow ...... Where are you located that profiling is only 15-20$?

Here in Vancouver B.C., the cheapest I have ever seen is 40$. And that was 10 years ago. The average now is 50$.

Mako IIs are in. Absolutely gorgeous. Definitely hug better than the Mako 1s. (Not necessarily a narrower fit or anything, the foam just molds better). Feels great so far, the tongue feels a touch thinner, but denser. No hotspot or lacebite as of baking, the problem area (Mako bumps) seem to be just perfect. First skate this Sunday, will report back.

Edited by syinx

So you're saying no ankle lock issues? That was a problem with my first makos. Also, can you tell if it's stiffer ?

Edited by DigiV

So you're saying no ankle lock issues? That was a problem with my first makos. Also, can you tell if it's stiffer ?

I haven't got any ankle lock issues. I didn't have any with the first skate, but the foam is definitely better in this rendition, plus the liner feels grippier for some reason, so I don't feel any ankle lock issues as of the first fitting.

It's definitely slightly stiffer. Not significantly stiffer, but it's stiffer.

Like I said, I'm going for my first skate tomorrow. I'll report back.

• Like 1

The felt does feel the same if not DENSER. But the front material (silver on the Mako, black on the Mako II) seems thinner. I don't know how this affects the overall performance, but will report back.

I had my first skate in my Mako II last week, immediately you can feel the liner material is more firm than Mako especially the ankle padding has being greatly improved as the first Mako is known to have the ankle padding broken down (which was what happened to my Mako). The area that caused Mako bump has being improved as well, can feel additional support in that area which has fixed the issue. The new tongue is definitely more thicker than the first Mako, I feel its more flexible and responsive as well. Quarter package feels a little more stiffer than Mako as well, but I think time will tell as you get more skates in. Fitting wise its all the same as Mako, still the most comfortable skate ever!

Edited by KeepItLow

Is the boot liner material the same? I noticed that they get REALLY wet inside and take longer to dry. Also these are the first pair of skates I've ever had that actually started to stink. I'm guessing again because of the liner.

has anybody seen any youth travel or high school kids use this skate? my area is pretty wealthy and i've still only seen the skate once. bauer seemed to be on over 90% of the kids

Is the boot liner material the same? I noticed that they get REALLY wet inside and take longer to dry. Also these are the first pair of skates I've ever had that actually started to stink. I'm guessing again because of the liner.

Mine dry really fast. I played in a tournament with a couple hours between games and they were fine.

Mine dry really fast. I played in a tournament with a couple hours between games and they were fine.

Hmm maybe they do then, I honestly don't really check them after I hang them up I guess. That part of my statement may not have been accurate. The other bits still apply though. The liner gets REALLY wet, and stinky. Literally the only piece of gear I have that smells bad.

has anybody seen any youth travel or high school kids use this skate? my area is pretty wealthy and i've still only seen the skate once. bauer seemed to be on over 90% of the kids

Being in the Greater Philadelphia area and working a decent amount of youth hockey games, I've seen a few kids with the Makos. I don't think it has to do with money (plenty of rich hockey 'rents in DelVal). The Makos' look is hard for people to get over and I can't say that kids think Makos look 'cool.' The Mako IIs are more traditional looking but I don't if they will stick out like the original Makos (which could be a good or bad thing depending on your taste). Kids will look to NHL players and see what they wear and try to emulate. Not many of them wearing Makos so I don't see kids reversing that trend.

Hmm. Interesting. I experience the exact opposite,

I don't think the look of the mako is off putting, especially for kids. Mako is a brand that is very popular with kids who play baseball too.

It comes down to what the pros are wearing. Which is why 90% of kids around here wear vapors. I can guarantee if Kane, stamkos, and ovi started to wear the orange mako skates, they would really start to gain some market share. Even if Bauer released a similar designed skate, kids would jump all over it.

Bauer is in with kids. It's almost like those dumb fucking dre beats headphones, you want "the best" just like your friends.

I don't think the look of the mako is off putting, especially for kids. Mako is a brand that is very popular with kids who play baseball too.

It comes down to what the pros are wearing. Which is why 90% of kids around here wear vapors. I can guarantee if Kane, stamkos, and ovi started to wear the orange mako skates, they would really start to gain some market share. Even if Bauer released a similar designed skate, kids would jump all over it.

Bauer is in with kids. It's almost like those dumb fucking dre beats headphones, you want "the best" just like your friends.

it's not like the Bauer products the pros are wearing are bad, they do make great products. Outside of that, I agree with you, it's all marketing.

it's not like the Bauer products the pros are wearing are bad, they do make great products. Outside of that, I agree with you, it's all marketing.

yea sorry, didn't mean to imply that.

Sucks for easton considering that getting pros to sign and wear in the NHL would sell more skates than investing money in the technology and actually improving the skate.

Basketball figured this out a long time ago, hockey needs to catch up. I wouldn't be against naming skates after players.

The pro shop at my local rink stocks only Bauer and Graf because "Bauer is the best".

Yeah, it's bizarre but I love them. I'm buying 2 extra sets in case easton goes belly up.

Is Easton in financial peril?