Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Famous.

Curve Help (Deep Mid Curve)

Currently I use a Bauer Vapor p88 and although I like the shaft shape I wish the curve was deeper. I've been looking around and I am interested in getting a CCM ops in the thornton curve, but my LHS doesn't have any CCM sticks in the thornton curve to compare it to my current p88. I was wondering if anybody could post a recent picture of the CCM thornton curve? I am looking for a deep mid curve that is slightly open or closed. Also do you feel the CCM shaft shape would similiar to the Vapor? I looked into the Sherwood coffey curve and the Warrior kovalchuk curve but it looks like the coffey curve is a little to open for me and the kovalchuk looks to be as deep as the p88 I use now. Are my assumptions about the coffey and kovalchuk curve correct? Thanks!

Yes, your assumptions about the coffey and kovy are correct. The Thornton is a bit deeper and slightly open, but I'm not sure how open exactly. I haven't seen one in person for awhile. The Tavares curve is a tad deeper than the p88 and pretty closed though iirc.

look around for a p33 easton chara curve. basically a coffee but with a closed face and without the sharp bottom on the toe of the blade.

Hmm, looks like it's a changed to more of a mid-heel. I used a Thronton before switching to a Draper and it was a true mid curve.

Have you looked at the Reebok Datsyuk & Bergeron patterns? IIRC the Bergeron might be exactly what you are describing.

Hey thanks for the pics! The cure def looks more mid-heel than what I was thinking, I haven't seen it in a few years and I feel like it was more of a mid curve before. Although the thornon looks more mid-heel do you think it would play like a deep mid curve on he ice? I have been usng a mid curves for a long time and I am really comfortable with them.

Stick9, I actually really liked the Reebok Bergeron pattern but I think they quit making that curve.

Maybe I will give a Harrow curve #2 a shot, looks exactly like what I am looking for. The blades are cheaper but I did notice that it lists the blade weight at 150g, is that really heavy for a tappered blade? Anyone ever use a Harrow blade in a Dolomite shaft? I got a 2009-2010 model (dragon graphics) laying around that I could use.

Thanks for all the helpful responses, appreciate it.

You're welcome. The Bergeron pattern is actually coming back this year. I've never used the Thornton curve, so I can't say definitively what it would play like. I will ask around to see who uses it and if I get any feedback, I will let you know.

I think 150g for a tapered blade is heavy, yes.

The Bergeron in the Reebok 2K ABS blade is a mid-heel, looks very similar to the Thornton above. Not sure if the others will follow the same form.

http://www.reebokhockey.com/sticks/player/curves.html

Based on the Reebok website the Hedman Curve is their equivalent to the Thornton curve. The Bergeron is a bit deeper, and going to be the Coffey equivalent. Lie on the Bergeron is 5.5 and 5 on the Hedman.

Definitely take lie into consideration as well; I just picked up a 9K Sickick III after looking for the closest thing I could find to an old Peca curve. I had been using a PM9 and wanted more of a mid curve, went to an Iginla and couldn't quite get used to the positioning difference with a 5.5 lie.

By the way the 9K is a great stick if you're trying to stay under the $200 mark.

Maybe Harrow/Christian can re-release the Gumby pattern. That thing curved around and pointed back at you.

I have a similar situation. I've been using the P88 for years, but have recently fallen in love with Warrior's Kovalchuk curve with a two piece stick. I'm on borrowed time with both that blade and that shaft, so I'm wondering what I should do next.

So my question for you guys is, what is Bauer and Easton's closest curve to the Kovalchuk?

I've been looking at the blade pattern page that MSH has, but it doesn't seem like anything is reallly too close.