Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo5370

Quick Q - Is USA a Non-Profit Organization?

I'll be damned, but I can't find a definitive answer online or even on USA Hockey's website or annual report. I'm assuming yes.

Edit Title - USA "Hockey"

FWIW, that makes it "tax-exempt" under the Internal Revenue Code. It's probably a "non-profit", but that's more a state law term of art.

True, and this 501c3 requirement basically states you can't be a for-profit corporation.

The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501©(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

Note to the OP, being a not-for-profit doesn't mean that they can't make money. It just means that they can't make money for shareholders. They can generate income in excess of expenses to build capital.

There's a bit more to qualifying for tax exemption under IRC Section 501(c )(3), and receiving a favorable determination letter from the IRS. In my limited experience in this area, I've found "non-profit" or "not-for-profit" a classification made under state law, not by the IRS.

I find "non-profit" and "tax-exempt" confused very often, and it's worth knowing that they're not the same, legally speaking. Especially considering that when folks ask about "nonprofit", IRS "tax-exempt" status is really what they want to know. And a lot of them really want to know something else again -- whether the corporation qualifies for tax-deductible contributions under Section 170.

EDIT: I don't know how to make this editor stop changing a "c" in parentheses to a copyright symbol. I hate it when a programmer decides he knows what I want to type better than I do. So I threw in a superfluous space.