Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer TotalONE NXG Initial Thoughts

I remember a couple years ago when Markov injured his Achilles and was lost for an extended period of time and how Don Cherry was talking afterwards how ridiculous it was for some people to saw off the tendon guards of their skates. He also advocated putting your sock over the guard iirc and with this new mobile tendon guard, hopefully that can now be an option for those concerned with loss of mobility. The PHEW kids will have a fit...

I remember a couple years ago when Markov injured his Achilles and was lost for an extended period of time and how Don Cherry was talking afterwards how ridiculous it was for some people to saw off the tendon guards of their skates. He also advocated putting your sock over the guard iirc and with this new mobile tendon guard, hopefully that can now be an option for those concerned with loss of mobility. The PHEW kids will have a fit...

He was advocating taping down the tendon guard, a la Orr and Yzerman. Not realizing that most skates in the past 10 years end up damaged that way and sacrifice performance. No mention of cutting off tendon guards was made.

He was advocating taping down the tendon guard, a la Orr and Yzerman. Not realizing that most skates in the past 10 years end up damaged that way and sacrifice performance. No mention of cutting off tendon guards was made.

Ahh, I was under the impression otherwise, faulty memory then.

I found the relevant article if anyone's interested : http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/12/05/sp-cherry-injuries.html

http://hfboards.hock...t=583546&page=2

Yeah that's what I was talking about, the second post shows #32 tucking his guard under the sock.

The tendon guard reminds me of the MLX. I've been skating Easton for a few weeks and miss the mobility of the MLX tendon guard.

Is it similar in function?

The tendon guard reminds me of the MLX. I've been skating Easton for a few weeks and miss the mobility of the MLX tendon guard.

Is it similar in function?

MLX violated Bauer's patent on the flexible tendon guard.

Did some work on the skates today. 3mm heel lifts (it is what I wear on Tuuk holders) and I went ahead and swapped out the steel with my previous set of Fusion - still had enough life left in them.

nxglift.jpg

Baked them as well; any tightness on the right foot is gone. They baked great, just like the TotalONE did for me, but if you read my review on the TotalONE I had some issues getting the right skate to break in; it turned out that the majority of the issues were gone the minute I wore the stiffer inserts. I am hoping for the same result.

"I went ahead and swapped out the steel with my previous set of Fusion - still had enough life left in them." JR

That is the first thing I did on the T1 NXG I have been using since November.

The footbed concept from the Vapor APX now is on the Supreme as well. I have them on and cannot feel the toecap edges.

nxg5.jpg

This is the first time that I've seen these insoles. I've been tinkering with a design for an insole with "wings" to eliminate this exact problem.

I've always had problems with the toecap edge areas of skates. Here I thought I was going to make a great new product... Hahaha looks like Bauer beat me to it.

I want those footbeds so bad. I've asked the Bauer guys every event I've attended if they will release those by themselves. But likely ill just buy new skates this fall.

It is doable, I recall a member making some himself out of superfeet insoles.

Does anyone (@JR) know how thick the three vertical pieces are?

Are they the same material as the footbed/insole just cut, bent, and formed, or separate material joined to the bottom of the footbed/insole material?

I want those footbeds so bad. I've asked the Bauer guys every event I've attended if they will release those by themselves. But likely ill just buy new skates this fall.

mcdougalfaschnitzer did them - he took the Superfeet and instead of cutting off the excess, he notched and folded it up.

Does anyone (@JR) know how thick the three vertical pieces are?

Are they the same material as the footbed/insole just cut, bent, and formed, or separate material joined to the bottom of the footbed/insole material?

It's just excess material notched and folded up

Hey JR, thanks again for posting this.

Just curious, but if you were to go custom with these skates is there anyway you could get a "mule" option, one without the gold graphics?