Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton E700 Helmet Teardown

After adjusting the size, one of the pads that I had removed ripped right from the velcro, not a huge deal but they don't seem to be made very strong. Hopefully easton will put out the replacement pads soon. They do seem very absorbent though.

I've been reading along here and it's always interesting to see the "mixed bag" that comes with experiences/opinions.

So far, I've had my E700 for close to 3 weeks and have worn it for two pick-up games and a handful of "stick time" sessions. I, too, found a medium to fit well while most other helmets I've owned have been large. (Technically, a large could have worked with the E700 as well. But, I noticed a little too much gap between my head and the temples which allowed for some movement against my head. Likely that "slightly wider" shell coming in to play.) Anyway, so far I love the lid. I've had no problems with it at all. My Oakley Pro Aviator mounted in no time and the whole package, shield and all, is lighter than just my old helmet. I haven't noticed any broken parts or breaks/cracks in the EPP of mine. This is a helmet you really have to play in just once to truly appreciate the weight. Unbelievably light. If it weren't for having a visor mounted, I would forget I even have a helmet on, I'm sure.

A note on impact performance: I was tripped in my last pick-up game. (Accident... I think. Guy's stick got tangled up after bumping me and when he pulled to skate away his blade went under my left skate.) I ended up landing just about square on my tailbone but proceeded to flatten out from there, hitting the back of my head on the ice. (Yes, it was as graceful as it sounds. I've been laid up with lower back pain for 5 days now too.) I can say that I didn't even feel the head impact. (Wish I could say the same for my a**!) I always hope never to "test" any helmet, if you know what I mean. But, it's good to know that for all of the hype surrounding the sleak, contoured, lightweight design that the E700 also puts up some pretty solid protection too.

To add to LeMagnifique66, I also took a light puck deflection to the front of the dome in practice last night, didn't feel a thing. Where my Bauer 4500 would have shaken me a bit. I am impressed with the lightness and protection of the helmet, but my cage is heavier than the helmet, so the weight distribution is a little awkward. Nothing to do with the helmet, just hopefully a titanium cage will be released soon.

A note on impact performance: I was tripped in my last pick-up game. (Accident... I think. Guy's stick got tangled up after bumping me and when he pulled to skate away his blade went under my left skate.) I ended up landing just about square on my tailbone but proceeded to flatten out from there, hitting the back of my head on the ice. (Yes, it was as graceful as it sounds. I've been laid up with lower back pain for 5 days now too.) I can say that I didn't even feel the head impact. (Wish I could say the same for my a**!) I always hope never to "test" any helmet, if you know what I mean. But, it's good to know that for all of the hype surrounding the sleak, contoured, lightweight design that the E700 also puts up some pretty solid protection too.

Sorry to hear about your misadventure, but it is good to hear that the helmet functions well in those types of situations.

Aireaye - if you were to cut the flap, you will see that the excess flap does absolutely nothing. The only thing it is doing is hiding the anchor point.

The anchor points on the sides are exposed once the pads are removed. Same thing applies to the back.

It's not a design flaw.

Now, let's move on.

I will admit, that when i bought the helmet I was worried about the rear attachment point. I actually asked the Rep about it at WF and he told me what JR said. It's held up fine. And i've used my helmet A LOT since before launch.

One of my pads peeled off partially as well. But a little needle/thread and it's solved. I called Easton and they said mid February is when the warranty replacement pads will be in, and they will send me one for free.

The pads are almost too absorbent, when i push the front of my helmet into my forehead you can feel the sweat being released. It's gross, but at least it's working. I played with my old S17 last night, and I really missed the E700.

Incredible piece of equipment.

I will admit, that when i bought the helmet I was worried about the rear attachment point. I actually asked the Rep about it at WF and he told me what JR said. It's held up fine. And i've used my helmet A LOT since before launch.

One of my pads peeled off partially as well. But a little needle/thread and it's solved. I called Easton and they said mid February is when the warranty replacement pads will be in, and they will send me one for free.

The pads are almost too absorbent, when i push the front of my helmet into my forehead you can feel the sweat being released. It's gross, but at least it's working. I played with my old S17 last night, and I really missed the E700.

Incredible piece of equipment.

goaliemanshark....can you tell me what makes the E700 better then the S17 for you? I know the E700 is a better Helmet, just wondering why you like it better. I ask because they both have the Grio system. I was told the E700 was the S17 And S19 together and improved....I jsut got the S17 and love the fit. Just curious thanks!

The Giro system is totally different in both helmets. They both say Giro on them, the similarities end there. The E700 fits MY head better, dunno about yours. It's pads are much more comfortable. It weighs half as much (or maybe 1/3). My head stays cooler. I don't get sweat in my eyes. It's more protective as they are no gaps in protection. The pads are washable, so it doesn't smell. I actually think it's more adjustable as well. The S17 adjustment system wasn't great.

It's better in every way shape and form. The E700 is a much improved S19, no S17 in there at all.

The Giro system is totally different in both helmets. They both say Giro on them, the similarities end there. The E700 fits MY head better, dunno about yours. It's pads are much more comfortable. It weighs half as much (or maybe 1/3). My head stays cooler. I don't get sweat in my eyes. It's more protective as they are no gaps in protection. The pads are washable, so it doesn't smell. I actually think it's more adjustable as well. The S17 adjustment system wasn't great.

It's better in every way shape and form. The E700 is a much improved S19, no S17 in there at all.

Ok, I noticed that I do get very hot in the S17 and sweat pours down my head. As far as the comparison, just going off what I was told. I understand better. I ask because I am having an issue with the S17 and may look into the E700. I wear the S17 for coaching and its great for that.

After adjusting the size, one of the pads that I had removed ripped right from the velcro, not a huge deal but they don't seem to be made very strong. Hopefully easton will put out the replacement pads soon. They do seem very absorbent though.

Noticed this on one of the display models at the hockey store I work in. Took about 3 weeks, but of course that model is subject to frequent re-adjustment. Replacement pads will be a great asset.

My helmet finally arrived today and I threw on my Itech clear cage. It's still incredibly light with it on. I think this is the best money I have spent on a helmet yet. It's so amazing how light it is. I was worried about putting the two front screws in because I almost felt like it was going to cross thread but they did not. Here she is. I honestly don't have enough good things to say about this helmet.

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0337.jpg

I finally got some time to check out the E700 helmet at my LHS. Luckily, they had a large in stock for me to try on. I was amazed to say the least on how the large fit my humungous cranium and that it fit comfortably.

Played my first game with the E700 and it literally stopped the sweat from dripping down my face. Was extremely breathe able and extremely comfortable the whole game. My V08 I had to keep taking off and adjusting and wringing out my skull cap. However this helmet stayed on even during a time out and between periods. My question is this, since it's not in the manual, how do I wash the pads and with what?

Played my first game with it, and it cracked in the back. I got slashed in the back of the head by a pissed off kid, and it cracked the shell no problem. I don't even know if its covered by warranty because its technically not defective. But i don't think a helmet should crack from something like that, especially a $150 helmet. Any thoughts?

Played my first game with it, and it cracked in the back. I got slashed in the back of the head by a pissed off kid, and it cracked the shell no problem. I don't even know if its covered by warranty because its technically not defective. But i don't think a helmet should crack from something like that, especially a $150 helmet. Any thoughts?

Definitely contact Easton (as well as the shop where you bought the helmet). I promise nothing as I don't work for Easton (or the shop where you bought the helmet), but I would be quite surprised if you don't get a replacement based upon my experience(s) with Easton over the years.

Wow that's scary.

Yea I was very impressed from the protection, the sticks impact didn't hurt in the slightest. As for the lunatic, my team was playing a U16AA team and well, those kids just throw tantrums.

I wouldn't be so quick to decide that. It could be weaker than it's supposed to be, due to a manufacturing defect.

For the last time...unless it is a stick, you are supposed to deal with the point of purchase, not the manufacturer directly. That is the official policy. There is absolutely no reason to circumvent the store in this situation.

HAMx24, go back to the store you bought it from, or if you bought it online, contact them.

For the last time...unless it is a stick, you are supposed to deal with the point of purchase, not the manufacturer directly. That is the official policy. There is absolutely no reason to circumvent the store in this situation.

HAMx24, go back to the store you bought it from, or if you bought it online, contact them.

I have contacted the shop I got it from but I haven't heard back from them yet. And no, it was not the EPP foam that cracked, just the shell.

Has anybody else with a Matte Black model noticed any "soft spots" in the shell of the helmet? Playing around with mine, I noticed a couple spots where I could easily flex the shell of the helmet with my thumb, seems like there are a couple voids between the shell and the foam...most notably right in the front between the 2 screws for mounting a cage....Checked out a couple of other E700's at a local shop and couldn't flex the shell on the regualr black or white helmets, but could feel the flex in the matte black models they had on display....(kinda hard to take a picture of it, hope I explained that well enough)