Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton E700 Helmet Teardown

The EPP is NOT removable. That was the point of the helmet...no gaps.

So I'm guessing that this helmet is like a bicyclist's helmet.

I'll try to shed some light.

It's for trendy aesthetics.

I still don't understand the use of a matte finish other than for trendy aesthetics, can you shed some light on this JR?

I'll try to shed some light.

It's for trendy aesthetics.

Dammit, I was hoping the matte finish would be three times as aerodynamic, or at least resist radar detection.

I'm not a huge fan of the matte black, but I'm not the target demographic. I do like the matte white though. In any case, it's a very interesting new piece of gear.

I wouldn't like seeing one player or so on a team but if it was team wide ala Rutgers, I would be ok with it.

Here's my issue with the Easton helmets, let me know if you have any thoughts, few customers have come in recently with old, rusted out dome screws that are essentially stuck, unfortunately unlike most other helmets, you can't access the rear of the screw to grip it in order to remove the screw. any suggestions? that's my gripe with easton helmets since you cannot get to the rear of the dome screws or j clip mounting screws so if they rust out or need to be replaced, your essentially SOL. of course, it'd be nice if people took care of their helmets as well though.

Here's my issue with the Easton helmets, let me know if you have any thoughts, few customers have come in recently with old, rusted out dome screws that are essentially stuck, unfortunately unlike most other helmets, you can't access the rear of the screw to grip it in order to remove the screw. any suggestions? that's my gripe with easton helmets since you cannot get to the rear of the dome screws or j clip mounting screws so if they rust out or need to be replaced, your essentially SOL. of course, it'd be nice if people took care of their helmets as well though.

In most of the cases I've seen those helmets are due for replacement anyway. Being able to drill out the screws in a three year old helmet just means someone is likely to continue using a helmet that most likely has experienced enough trauma to warrant being replaced.

In most of the cases I've seen those helmets are due for replacement anyway. Being able to drill out the screws in a three year old helmet just means someone is likely to continue using a helmet that most likely has experienced enough trauma to warrant being replaced.

But in this case we're talking about a helmet that has only been available at retail for at most one calendar year, far from being outdated or ready for replacement. As much as it would help to have customers make sure they don't let components rust, it's going to happen. I think this is a valid point.

But in this case we're talking about a helmet that has only been available at retail for at most one calendar year, far from being outdated or ready for replacement. As much as it would help to have customers make sure they don't let components rust, it's going to happen. I think this is a valid point.

the same people that have rusted out screws in a year, also put their helmet in the bottom of their bag and toss it into the car, drop it onto the floor and generally treat their gear like crap. I've coached and played hockey with those guys and seen it. Those people should be replacing their helmets more often.That said, I do agree that the quality of the metal used for the screws and anchors should be better, especially if you are making a helmet that has permanent attachments. With the molding process that Easton is using, it would be very difficult to make them removable without weakening the helmet or making the anchors much more likely to break.

If you do take care of your gear and are concerned about it, go to the store and buy some stainless steel screws and some silicone lubricant to coat them. If you're spending $150 on a helmet, another $5-$10 on that stuff to make it usable for a longer period of time doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

That issue has been fixed in the E600.

And that is the other solution. That is going to sell very well for so many reasons.

I have a suspicion that Easton's weight reduction on their helmets is going to pay off in protection in a big way. One of the things that concussion studies are starting to consider more and more is the damage caused by the differences in momentum between the skull and brain after impact. Obviously, in a sport with literally super-human velocities involved (in excess of possible footspeed) and hard boundaries, there are always going to be violent collisions. The lighter the helmet, the less the momentum of the top of the head at the extreme of the neck will be -- and every little bit helps.

I also like the idea of that internal suspension rig for handling moderate impacts, which is one of the thing that people have always said VN/Rubatex and other similar foams handle better than EPP. Neat design.