Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrickyb86x

Has anyone ever built their own shoulder pads?

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to build their own pads. It seems to be the one piece of equipment I have the most trouble liking. I'm looking into building some Reebok/Sher Wood Classic frankenpad with some extra padding on the right shoulder for a soft shoulder that's still healing after being separated. What are some things you guys have built?

I'm thinking... Sher Wood classic chest/back pad with some RBK fit lite caps and adjustable bicep guards. What do you think?

I too would be interested in such a thing. I am thinking a "padded shirt" with reebok or Bauer shoulder caps. kind of like the Down Low Hockey sh. pad, just NOT ..... $160.

So I got something going. I'll put pics up later. It wasn't too hard and I actually like it a lot. I don't think I'm going to add any additional padding to the shoulder and instead just wear a shoulder strap I came across at Sports Authority.

Well..I think that a few pros have frankenstein pads. They didn`t make it themselves, and not from scratch but I suppose that`s the same concept. if I`m correct, I think that Mike green has some frankenpads and there was another player...I really don`t remember who, but I remember seeing St16 pads with a jofa chest and shoulder cap. It was posted on the show it off I believe.

So I got something going. I'll put pics up later. It wasn't too hard and I actually like it a lot. I don't think I'm going to add any additional padding to the shoulder and instead just wear a shoulder strap I came across at Sports Authority.

I'd be interested in seeing your "creation".

It's a start...

yLZhm.jpg

cuXqt.jpg

Similar placement to the 4k's the caps were already on but with the awesomeness of the sher woods. The caps I believe are sitting a little higher then the original sher woods because I wanted them to cover the soft spot on my shoulder. The only reason I really ditched the sher woods were because of the caps. Since then nothing has been as awesome as them but some have come close.

Thank you to the MSH member who kept posting about the speedy stitcher. It did all the work on this.

I'm all for getting creative and making stuff work for you, so nice work! I've actually got some frankenpad plans in the works too, as I have some pads that fit well in the chest but the shoulder caps are way too huge, and then I have pads with small caps but are too small in the chest. I keep meaning to switch out the caps but I haven't gotten around to it yet. :) I need to get on that.

Dude, nice work! Funny, Ive had kind of the opposite plan for a while--I wanted to put the lightweight 5030 caps on the heavy-duty chest/back pieces on my Jofa 7500s. I play non-check and I'm mostly concerned with protecting against pucks to the chest and crosschecks to the back.

It's a start...

Similar placement to the 4k's the caps were already on but with the awesomeness of the sher woods. The caps I believe are sitting a little higher then the original sher woods because I wanted them to cover the soft spot on my shoulder. The only reason I really ditched the sher woods were because of the caps. Since then nothing has been as awesome as them but some have come close.

Thank you to the MSH member who kept posting about the speedy stitcher. It did all the work on this.

Nice job!

Dude, nice work! Funny, Ive had kind of the opposite plan for a while--I wanted to put the lightweight 5030 caps on the heavy-duty chest/back pieces on my Jofa 7500s. I play non-check and I'm mostly concerned with protecting against pucks to the chest and crosschecks to the back.

I put the 5030 caps onto my RBK 8K's for exactly the same reason. I had to attach the caps to the shoulder piece from an old pair of Franklin pads and then have that attached to the RBK's. Three different pads to make one.newcaps.th.jpg

I put the 5030 caps onto my RBK 8K's for exactly the same reason. I had to attach the caps to the shoulder piece from an old pair of Franklin pads and then have that attached to the RBK's. Three different pads to make one.newcaps.th.jpg

Very nice. I was wondering what to do with the left over 5030 caps I have. Maybe something like this. Very cool.

Toews was actually on the front page of the Chicago Tribune sports section yesterday with some Nike Bauer shoulders with a different brand of shoulder caps. I can't remember what brand the caps were though.

Correct me if I am wrong - but several players have different caps this year due to the equipment rules. No more hard shells. It's why you see a lot of Warrior shoulders/caps. CCM are also popular.

A lot of Bauer caps are illegal to my knowledge. I follow three teams closely and have seem a lot of shoulder pad switches this year and/or cap replacements.

Just recently had some shouldies made out of a 30 yr old no name pair Shoulder pads, a padded shirt and some extra plastic to cover my heart and spine.

Oh frankenpads you're my only friend. ;p

Kudos to Tobi @ Cyclone Taylors in Vancouver for the work

Will put up pics when i get back from Mexico

Just recently had some shouldies made out of a 30 yr old no name pair Shoulder pads, a padded shirt and some extra plastic to cover my heart and spine.

Oh frankenpads you're my only friend. ;p

Kudos to Tobi @ Cyclone Taylors in Vancouver for the work

Will put up pics when i get back from Mexico

What shirt and plastic did you use? I have next week off and might make some frankenpads.

I didn't do it with my shoulder pads, but with my pants...

I have CCM fit 05 pants and I bought jr pants on special... sewed protection on the back of the thigh (hard shell and soft foam), added some butt protection because the one on the fit 05 is not big enough and I recently sewed voleyball knee pads where the hips are for more protection... Also added more protection on the front thigh area. I'm pretty proud of my frankenpants :)

Now that's taking the Franken thing to a while new level... Nice work!!!

I have CCM fit 05 pants and I bought jr pants on special... sewed protection on the back of the thigh (hard shell and soft foam), added some butt protection because the one on the fit 05 is not big enough and I recently sewed voleyball knee pads where the hips are for more protection... Also added more protection on the front thigh area. I'm pretty proud of my frankenpants :)

After being "encouraged" by this thread, I finally made my FrankenShoulders (Jofa 7500 chest/back + Sherwood 5030 caps):

img0266m.th.jpg

And here are the FrankenPants I made about two months ago--they are Sande "The Show" pants; I removed the small spine protector; ripped the tailbone protector out of an old pair of CCMs; flipped it around and sewed it on for enhanced spine protection; also sewed open the zippers to make the legs a little bigger:

img0267bn.th.jpg

Wouldn't it be awesome if one day in some alternate universe, one could custom build their own set of shoulders? Like the Build-A-Bear concept where you just choose what chest panel, spine column pad, back panel, any additional extensions, shoulder caps and bicep/upper arm guards you want from a selection provided by each manufacturer... sigh

After being "encouraged" by this thread, I finally made my FrankenShoulders (Jofa 7500 chest/back + Sherwood 5030 caps):

img0266m.th.jpg

And here are the FrankenPants I made about two months ago--they are Sande "The Show" pants; I removed the small spine protector; ripped the tailbone protector out of an old pair of CCMs; flipped it around and sewed it on for enhanced spine protection; also sewed open the zippers to make the legs a little bigger:

img0267bn.th.jpg

Those shoulders are awesome. Good work. Have you skated with them yet?

AIREAYE, That's such a great idea. I wouldn't mind forking over the extra few bucks for a custom pair of shoulders.

Those shoulders are awesome. Good work. Have you skated with them yet?

Thanks, man. Haven't skated in them yet, but just trying them on, the weight difference is immediate noticeable. I'm just pissed I didn't do it a long time ago.

made a modification to my old shoulder pads back when playing in a league.

added some extra foam padding (acquired from other old equipment) and sewed velcro on extra lower padding and velcro on shoulder pads so i could later take off if i wanted. extra padding gave me some protection in the stomach area.

shoulder_Panorama_zps7754aa30.jpg