Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tyler5

Washing the mitts

So i just got a pair of Adrian Aucoin's game used gloves, and i was wondering how i could wash them.

I searched the boards and got some ideas of the dishwasher and other ways, but they were disputed either way.

Any ideas? Thanks.

photo.jpg

I just put my X60's in the washing machine a couple weeks back. No problems at all and they came out smelling much much better. It was a top loading washer by the way.

Probably not recommended but the stench on the X60s was unbearable.

I bought a pair of used Bauer 4-rolls once and they reeked. The only way to not have stinky gloves is prevention and proper maintenance after each use.

I threw them in the washing machine but the smell does come back and you can never get rid of it completely. I also sprayed them with a mixture of rubbing alcohol heavily diluted with water.

Pretty much any possible way has been discussed on here at some point or another. I like the washing machine set on hot/gentle cycle then letting them air dry for a few days. But read the thread below and pick your poison. Everyone has their preferences...

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/Index.php?/topic/52686-how-to-clean-your-smelly-gloves/page__st__15__p__821432__hl__%2Bwashing+%2Bgloves__fromsearch__1#entry821432

I read somewhere that the stuff surfers use to clean their wetsuits work well. Never tried it myself and have never been able to get rid of the smell on any of my gloves other than buying new ones. Like the other person said, prevention is key. That being said, I air mine out after every use and they still smell. My latest pair doesn't have good airflow (noticed immediately on first use as my hands got really hot in them) and they started smelling a lot sooner than previous pairs. Maybe there is a correlation.

My junior team has a locker room and all so prevention really isnt the problem, its just that i bought a pair of used gloves and i just want to clean them out.

You can try holding them over a pot of boiling water and having the steam clean it out, if you are afraid of using too much water on them. I also use pet stain deodorizer and it almost gets rid of the smell

Shaving gel with Lanolin. Scrub them and let them dry in a nice, cool place. Do this treatment a few times and allow 24 hours to dry. They won't be perfect, but, they will improve.

I second this. I've used in conjunction with the hot water and gotten good results.

I am really picky with my gear, no rips and no smell please. As far as I understood Marz is, that water soaked foams aren't a good way to do. I can imagine that hot water ruins any glue even more...I use Lanolin on my palms but I am constantly in doubt, how to take care of my uppers and linings or other parts. I spray them wit a mix of water and isopropyl-alcohol and stuff all into my shockdoctor-bag once a week...we got no sanitizing machines here, as the only place I knew sold it...it was to big and only the stuff and me used it...

a bit off, but Marz, what is the best to prevent white stuff (Jofa) from getting yellowish?

Rubbing alcohol ruins glove palms, especially nash. With the red nash, might even remove the dye. Warrior thanks you! LOL

never had that problem, but thanks!