Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoWings85

Tacki-Mac grips

I just bought a white "sand" grip one to replace my blue "ribbed". They're much thinner, and honestly if the grip is good, I really don't need the ribs.

I'm gonna leave it long (I cut the other one), but I'd like to cut off half the butt end. Unfortunately I don't have any razor blades to get a nice clean cut, and I really dont want to use scissors. Oh well, the butt isnt all that big anyway.

I'm kinda surprised the hairspray method works so well.. you're never worried about it slipping off?

I guess for $5 I'm not all that worried about wrecking a grip taking it off or even bothering taking it off a broken stick.

I just bought a white "sand" grip one to replace my blue "ribbed". They're much thinner, and honestly if the grip is good, I really don't need the ribs.

I personally didn't like sand at all. I found it to be providing a lot less grip then ribbed.

btw imho the grip is really worth it, I'm much more comfortable shooting with it & my shot is harder.

I buy the wrapped version and I cut these all the time. The Tacki-mac grips are made out of a stretchy material, so they'll conform to whatever shape shaft you have. Variations in the thickness of the material shouldn't matter.

I buy the wrapped version and I cut these all the time. The Tacki-mac grips are made out of a stretchy material, so they'll conform to whatever shape shaft you have. Variations in the thickness of the material shouldn't matter.

They do matter, it feels thicker. I didn't say anything about it not conforming to the shape of the shaft.

The Kane grip is a nice combo of being thin yet has the ribbing of the twisted tape going down the grip.

Hmm, is that a special one? I didn't see anything other than ribbed and sand at the store....

Hmm, is that a special one? I didn't see anything other than ribbed and sand at the store....

Kane grip is now called the Pro Ribbed Wrap Grip on their website. The had to change the name since their name deal with Kane had ended.

Ah, just looked on the website. The LHS definitely didn't have those. I really like the ribbed wrapped, if it didnt feel so thick. I'll try the sand, and then try one of the kane grips, and then ill decide from there. Less than 20 bucks wasted to find a grip I like so I never have to use tape again is well worth it.

Thanks man.

Just put on the Tacki-Mac sand grip. MUCH better. Doesn't feel like I'm squeezing a sponge. I'm still going to try the Kane grip, but so far Sand is by far the best, for me.

I have the short sand and the wrapped (not ribbed, just wrapped). And I'm really confused by this thread because my sand grip is waaaayyyy thicker than the wrapped. The wrapped is so thin you can almost see through it...

Curious to try the Kane, or "pro"

I have the short sand and the wrapped (not ribbed, just wrapped). And I'm really confused by this thread because my sand grip is waaaayyyy thicker than the wrapped. The wrapped is so thin you can almost see through it...

Curious to try the Kane, or "pro"

I don't think the kane is even as thin as you described the thickness of the wrapped.

The sand is definitely the thickest and the kane the thinnest. Noticeably thinner than the wrapped IMO

That sucks, I wanted a thin grip and people were writing that the sand was the thinnest so I just ordered two of those.

I guess I should have emailed the company before I ordered.

That sucks, I wanted a thin grip and people were writing that the sand was the thinnest so I just ordered two of those.

I guess I should have emailed the company before I ordered.

It's a couple of bucks..... And I'm not sure that I agree that sand is the thickest. The new ones that are coming with the tape activator and the q tip make for a very thin grip, in my opinion. Thin enough that you can read the lettering on my stick through the grip on the lighter colored ones. I have a yellow one and can read Easton. Some of tacki mac's thickness comes from the double sided tape. I have found the new tape thinner. And the grip is thin enough that if you have a slight crease in the tape, you'll feel it through the grip.

I found the Ribbed wrapped one to be the thickest one by far. Wrapped was fairly thin. The Kane is only good it you don't like a knob, otherwise you need to add your own. And frankly, I have a Kane, a sand and a wrapped one sitting right here and the thickness of the rubber is pretty much the same. The sand has a slightly bigger knob than the wrapped one, and is about 1/2 inch shorter.

IMG_0827.jpg

I wouldn't be stressing about your order.

Because no stores have them around here it would be a total cost of 35-40 bucks for two new wraps with shipping (including the price of the old ones). After reading your post It seems like the difference isn't that big. I'm very particular with my grips though and don't use much tape at all, and no knob. For example I couldn't use the oggie grip at all because the rubber was to thick and squishy. I'm gonna try it out and see how it goes, but it should be fine if they're as thin as it sounds from your post.

Thanks

Because no stores have them around here it would be a total cost of 35-40 bucks for two new wraps with shipping (including the price of the old ones). After reading your post It seems like the difference isn't that big. I'm very particular with my grips though and don't use much tape at all, and no knob. For example I couldn't use the oggie grip at all because the rubber was to thick and squishy. I'm gonna try it out and see how it goes, but it should be fine if they're as thin as it sounds from your post.

Thanks

I only buy them when I buy something else to offset the cost of the shipping. I think you can see the E through the grip in the photo, I think they're pretty thin.

I just got my sand grip in this afternoon. They are definitely thin, so I doubt there will be any problems. I also cut the majority of the knob off with a razor.

img0921nm.jpg

I only buy them when I buy something else to offset the cost of the shipping. I think you can see the E through the grip in the photo, I think they're pretty thin.

There's a seller on eBay who sells Tacki-Macs at a good price with cheap shipping, which he combines for multiple purchases ($1.10 for each add'l grip).

Link: http://shop.ebay.com/stickfixtexassouth/m.html?_nkw=tacki+mac&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

I bought two long wrapped white grips for $14.90 total shipped. I've done that order twice now.

Don't know if anyone has compared them but I use the CWL grip from Tacki Mac. It is not available on their website so you must call and ask for it. I've been told it is the thinnest grip they make. Just ordered 5 earlier this week.

Don't know if anyone has compared them but I use the CWL grip from Tacki Mac. It is not available on their website so you must call and ask for it. I've been told it is the thinnest grip they make. Just ordered 5 earlier this week.

got pics?

Seems I should clarify.

I tried the RIBBED wrapped grip - and it was the one that felt like a tennis grip. Very thick. I just got done trying the sand grip. Much better as far as thickness, but I actually found I really missed having the "ribs". I just put on a Kane grip, which I like besides the lack of a knob. Not sure how I'll feel about it. I plan to buy the regular wrapped one also and try it too, and then I'll pick which one I liked best and stick with it.

A lot of you guys talk about using hairspray to apply them so they can be more easily removed, but at only $5 a piece, I'm not overly worried about just cutting them off. Afterall, once I settle on one, I don't plan to replace it.

A lot of you guys talk about using hairspray to apply them so they can be more easily removed, but at only $5 a piece, I'm not overly worried about just cutting them off. Afterall, once I settle on one, I don't plan to replace it.

I was more worried with the amount of thickness the tape would add to the grip, that's why I went with the hairspray anyway. The fact that you can re-use the grip is just a bonus.

Quick question guys, I only have one real LHS around me, so where can I get one or two of these without paying more in shipping than the grips? I just ordered a bunch of stuff, so I don't feel like waiting to bundle them with other stuff.

Thanks!