Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmiami

Olympic size rink vs NHL size rink

the rink at the university of illinois is 195x115...its like playing on a soccer field, its absolutely gigantic, and it used to be wider

Or SLC...LOL

All of the rinks in SLC are Oly sized. Even a few built after 2002. As an old fart I prefer the smaller rink. We were up at a tourny in a small town in Wyoming a few months ago and as a D-man, I liked the smaller rink because it lessened the space between my lazy forwards and the D-zone. :) But the main thing was that the smaller rink enabled my partner and I to take turns being aggressive on the pinches because there was less ice to cover for the stay at home guy.

The rink I grew up on was even smaller than NHL. Smaller neutral zone like the old Chicago Stadium. Making the jump from that to full size oly size was quite the adjustment.

We are currently in the process of having x2 Olympic sized rinks built in my city. Our rink is tiny in Melbourne atm. I cannot wait to skate on Olympic size ice again. Its going to completely change hockey in my state and allot of the bigger/fatter guys are going to have to bust hard to stop me from getting past them. :D

There's an Olympic sized rink here in Washington. I like playing on it because when I lose the puck on a failed deke sometimes I have time to get it back.

That was my home rink growing up and I liked playing there, I always thought that it gave us a small home ice advantage because we were used to it.

any rinks in detroit/lansing/ann arbor area that are olympic size?

ann arbor ice cube has one. never actually played on it though, we only practiced on nhl sized rinks in high school.

This season we've mainly been on the Olympic rink - I think we only played a couple on the Pro.

Much quicker game on the Pro - everyone seems to be sluggish on the Olympic ice as there's so much more ice to cover.

Wow, I didn't even know there were Olympic size rinks in US (besides Lake Placid). Sounds like you are in a multi-rink facility. Why do they have an Olympic rink there? Just for the hell of it? Or perhaps for figure skating?

Or SLC...LOL

Yeah, we have two sheets at RDV Sportsplex in Orlando - one Olympic, one NHL-spec.

Even Raleigh, North Carolina has an olympic sized sheet. I hate that place, the boards are too tall for me, i have to jump.

A lot of the multi-sheet rinks here have at least one olympic ice sheet. Here are some I can name off the top of my head

Bloomington Ice Gardens

Plymouth

Minneapolis (Mariucci)

Blaine (4 olympic sized sheets at Schwans Ice Center)

Blaine (Centennial)

Orono

Lakeville (Ames)

Ice Forum (Champlin)

Eagan