Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoAngleDangler

Eliminating Gloves Smell

Spray a mix of 90% alcohol (90°)+ 10 % tea tree oil.

I use this on my gloves and on the rest of my gear just after playing, and then let them dry as usual.

Not expensive and works fine.

yea ur not the only one but can his idea mess up your equipment at all by soaking it or washing it b/c i've never heard of that before and it will probably take a few days to dry right?

I've always soak my equipment at the end of every season when I have a week or so off. I usually use hot water in my big washroom tub with woolite and oxy clean. I soak the big stuff (shin pads, gloves) and throw the rest in a washing machine on gentle (shoulders, elbows, shinpad liner, girdle liner) I've never had ill effects, and none of my stuff reeks.

It never smells that bad to begin with. Right when I get home from the rink I hang everything up and let it dry really well.

I think its probably added to the life of my equipment. I've had my jofa 6090 shin pads & liner going on maybe 10 years.

yea ur not the only one but can his idea mess up your equipment at all by soaking it or washing it b/c i've never heard of that before and it will probably take a few days to dry right?

HAHA, Im called skunk because thats what I do for a living, deal with animals, not because I smell..

Heres my site....Visit My Website

On the contrary, I remove skunk odor as a pro. I've had skunks spray inside homes and in an hour, I'll have that skunk removed and the smell gone.

As for ruining the equipment because your soaking it, when I take my shoulders and elbows, shins etc off after playing, their already soaked in sweat! How is submerging them in clean water going to mess them up?

From what I've seen, gear that is never washed falls apart/dries out a lot quicker than gear that is taken care of.

With everything made of synthetics now a days, water will not hurt a thing.

There made to get wet guy.

Actually, one of my kids has a pair of leather Eagle gloves that they do the same process to and it works fine.

Like I said, gloves go on the Peet shoe dryer if you know what that is and about 12 hours or overnight and they are dry.

The other gear hangs on our goal net in the sun in the driveway for a day or if it's winter, in front of a sunny window or downstairs with a big fan on it. Dry overnight no problem. NOTHING takes days to dry.

when it comes to sprays and odor, they can do two things. one is cover up the odor and the other is eliminate it at the molecular level. the later being the best although your material is still sweat soaked.

Interesting read Skunk. Where do you get the hunting soap? Is it powder or liquid?

So...any other ideas to get rid of the brown spots on my gloves? I'm reading that a bit of bleach and water treated on the stain helps, as does alcohol and water directly on the stain.

I'll keep my eye out for one of those Peet dryers. I was reading about building a 1" PVC pipe drying tree, then drilling holes and hooking up some kind of dryer. That would be a good way to keep the gear fresh.

Hey,

The soap is usually for sale at Wall Mart in the hunting dept. Hunters Specialtys is one brand they usually carry.

A lot of company's make it, it's usually in a liquid form. concentrated too.

I would not use bleach on gloves. ( as already mentioned) The brown is a result of them not being washed. I'm not sure, maybe re-palming if they are worth the effort. I would probably try a really good stain remover just on the brown area and use the hunting soap in a washing machine.

That tree sounds like a good idea. On the peet, it's just a element that heats up and works on convection. It's not forced with a fan or anything. I'm not sure what I'd use for the heating element.

The brown stain appeared after washing. They were wet for a few days, then turned brown in the white spots. I'll try and get a picture up.

One way I have learned to eliminate smell is to eliminate sweat. I have a skin problem, form of exema that requires that I buy new gloves at least evey other year but usually each year. I use Eagle x70's for coaching and they have been great, I get more time out of coaching gloves. When I play I buy low level RBK or Vapors, no leather though.

Last year I bought a pair of RBK 3k or something.....At teh same time I thought I woudl try using sweatbands on my wrists. I bought a narrow Under armor wrist band and began using them wtih the new gloves. It was teh best thing I have ever done. THey basically stopped excess sweat from running down my arm, the gloves stayed dry and no smell AT ALL.

3 weeks ago I lost the wrist bands in the locker room. Since I have been playing without and my gloves have not only been wuper wet but also have begun to stink.......

Try wrist bands....I did tyr the wider traditional bands but they jsut felt weird. The narrow ones worked great and did not impede my wrist movement.

Forgot to add, I use a Peet shoe dryer to dry the gloves. dry overnight, good to go

I use the same thing for my skates + gloves. Works really, really well. Doesn't make my palms all stiff either. For a while I was skating a couple hours a day, and even after a few months my gloves didn't have any stink at all. You can get the Peet boot dryers for pretty cheap too.

I've recently been putting "Bounce" dryer sheets in each of my gloves and skates while they're drying. I put my skates on a "shoe dryer" that blows air into them. This seems to be helping with the smell of my gloves and skates even though the smell wasn't anything major to begin with. This won't eliminate the smell though, once you use them they'll stink when you take them off, but when they're dry they don't smell because of the sheets. I also haven't noticed an increase in the smell since doing this.

Hi

I am new here, but I have a solution that I have been using for my gloves for a while. Its a foot fungis soap with tea tree oil. I get it at Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada, but I am sure that any foot soap that is meant for athletes foot. I just get a bucket full of hot water, soak the gloves for a minute, then pour a little soap on the inside and on the outside and rub it in. I then put them back in the bucket and let them soak for a bit and then rinse them a few times. I put them in the washing machine on the spin cycle to help them dry out, and then in the dryer on a rack on the lowest setting for a half hour. Then I let them dry outside or by a vent. It works great, they make the glove palm look brand new, and the soap smell is ok.

Hi

I am new here, but I have a solution that I have been using for my gloves for a while. Its a foot fungis soap with tea tree oil. I get it at Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada, but I am sure that any foot soap that is meant for athletes foot. I just get a bucket full of hot water, soak the gloves for a minute, then pour a little soap on the inside and on the outside and rub it in. I then put them back in the bucket and let them soak for a bit and then rinse them a few times. I put them in the washing machine on the spin cycle to help them dry out, and then in the dryer on a rack on the lowest setting for a half hour. Then I let them dry outside or by a vent. It works great, they make the glove palm look brand new, and the soap smell is ok.

I wouldn't suggest that option.

One study shows that tea tree oil may alter hormone levels. There have been three case reports of topical tea tree oil products causing unexplained breast enlargement in boys. People with hormone-sensitive cancers or pregnant or nursing women should avoid tea tree oil. For more information, read Lavender and Tea Tree Oils Linked to Breast Enlargement in Boys.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupple.../TeaTreeOil.htm

I have been using this stuff on my goalie gloves for about 3 years and now with my Bauer Supreme 5000 gloves. The palms are an off white colour, not sure, but looks like leather, and after cleaning them this way 3 times it has not hardened at all. I would suspect that it is going to depend on the material, some may dry out more than others. My experience with my old goalie stuff is that if you dry it too fast with too much heat it tends to harden more than a slow low heat. I read someone here already talking about washing pants, was that they get soaked playing a couple of games in one day so they should be able to handle the washing mashine. I was always amazed on how much more my goalie pants weighed after a busy game.

As I said, I use it on my feet as well the odd time - I am really paranoid about athelites foot, and my breasts are the same size as when I started, but I am 52 now, so I may be out of the danger zone ;)

The stuff I use is PediFix Funga soap.

Results may vary.

Rotate about 4-5 pairs of gloves, lay them out after every game / practice and you should be good to go and just add a new pair to the collection when you find them on sale :P

Take dryer softener sheets and stick them straight in the gloves. I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but it masks the smell pretty well. Its a cheap effective way and before you say it won't work, I suggest you try it.

Hey B19, thats funny, after reading about the Sande gloves here I am seriously thinking about buy a pair, that will be a start at least on a collection. :D

Yea I started small too.. i'm up to 4 now, every paycheck makes me want to buy another pair.. haha

Hey B19, thats funny, after reading about the Sande gloves here I am seriously thinking about buy a pair, that will be a start at least on a collection. :D

Yea I started small too.. i'm up to 4 now, every paycheck makes me want to buy another pair.. haha

The solution? NO MORE PAYCHECKS!

One of the perks of being an ID major. we get grades for building stuff we need. I made a gear tree out of old sticks, and it works great. set it up in front of the window in my apartment, spray everything, and set up the fan so it blows out the window.

AlexHasselberger02.jpg

One of the perks of being an ID major. we get grades for building stuff we need. I made a gear tree out of old sticks, and it works great. set it up in front of the window in my apartment, spray everything, and set up the fan so it blows out the window.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ska...selberger02.jpg

maxamillion,

That's awesome! Looks pretty rad, too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ska...selberger02.jpg

maxamillion,

That's awesome! Looks pretty rad, too.

Very cool. Wouldn't your skates dry better if you hung by the blade though?

It would be lighter and have better kick if it was made out of OPS too. :rolleyes:

Baby wipes with Lanolin do a fantastic job - you can really scrub down inside the fingers with them, and they leave everything clean and supple. Been using those on blocker palms for a while now...