Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a X02 FBV sharpener. I thought I post this here first while I slowly dig through this ginormous 115 page thread.

Was wondering if anyone here have any beginner tips for me in terms of what accessories and equipments are must-buys on top of the machine, the case and the accessory kit itself?

How many grinding wheels, spinners and etc should I have around?

I'm planning to roll with 2 different spinners (90/75 and 100/50).

Any other beginner tips would be very welcome, including small but important know-hows or things I should pay attention to, kindly post there here.

Thanks in advance.

Depends what you are using the sharpener for. Personal use, shop, etc

Also, how advanced do you want it to be? Just the basics, most common things, or everything?

Lastly, how tight is your budget? Can narrow out a few things if needed

Congrats on getting in to the sharpening world :]

A single wheel will last months for anything short of running a business. Having a stone or two and some type of gauge for measuring the edges are the only tools I would say you must have.

Thought I'd update my situation here:

I spoke to a few folks at MSH, namely Chadd and Gummer - thanks again for your kind help, really appreciate it. Also got in touch with Mark from Blackstone Sports, who has been extremely helpful and informative.

Should probably mention I do currently reside in Taiwan, making this whole situation a little more complicated than it should be.

While I haven't finalized my order yet, I'll be ordering 2 spinners (90/75 and 100/50), 2 orange wheels, 6 rubies, an accessory kit, one extra fine shine, timing belt, spinner cap, felt pad and whatever honing stone Mark ends up recommending.

As of now, a buddy of mine will look to chip in as well - he will be doing most of the sharpening, but I'll cover the majority of the funding. We look to sharpen about 5-10 skates a week, and will likely be the sole FBV provider in northern Taiwan. The only other provider is in southern Taiwan, and he apparently charges NTD 500 per sharpening (roughly USD 16.50).

We're not looking to run a business - this is purely to cover the cost of the machine itself and money on the side for the amount exceeding the original cost.

Aside from the learning curve, a concern that was brought up to me was the amount of harmful dust particles it creates. Since we mostly live in apartments in Taiwan, space comes at a premium here and is not plentiful; thus I believe some form of custom DIY ventilation vacuum system is a necessity. I've seen some photos on this thread - was wondering if anyone has an extensive guide in terms of ventilation?

Worse comes to worst, we pull that sucker down to the apartment underground parkade and do it there; or set up a hotdog stand somewhere (without the hotdogs).

• Like 1

Looking for a little extra info/wisdom/advise... I recently got a 100/50 sharpening (along with an 8/12 profiling and medium forward pitch). So far, after a couple of games and a couple of clinics, I am really enjoying the extra glide and ease of transitions, as well as some added (or at least perceived) improvement in balance with the new profile. I *think* I am lacking a little in the bite department. Sometimes when I push off it does not seem like I am getting all that I can from the push and on some tight crossovers I get some slippage on the X-push (from the outside edge of the inside skate...the inside edge of the outside skate grips/bites very well however).

It can't be ruled out that it is all technique on my part - I'm fairly new (been playing only two years) and still need to get more consistent with a good skating posture and knee bend. I am curious from those who used a 100/50 if perhaps switching to something like a 95/75 would help out? From the charts it looks like the angle is supposed to be the same but maybe the fact that the edge is taller would make it a better fit? I will say that I am quite enjoying the glide and especially the ease of backwards/forwards transitions...and I wouldn't want to compromise those too greatly...if possible. I should also mention that I came from a 1/2" hollow before (currently about 5'10" and 170lbs).

I can see what the charts say in terms of bite/glide/grip...I was just hoping to get some anecdotal information before sending things in for my next sharpening.

Thanks!

Looking for a little extra info/wisdom/advise... I recently got a 100/50 sharpening (along with an 8/12 profiling and medium forward pitch). So far, after a couple of games and a couple of clinics, I am really enjoying the extra glide and ease of transitions, as well as some added (or at least perceived) improvement in balance with the new profile. I *think* I am lacking a little in the bite department. Sometimes when I push off it does not seem like I am getting all that I can from the push and on some tight crossovers I get some slippage on the X-push (from the outside edge of the inside skate...the inside edge of the outside skate grips/bites very well however).
It can't be ruled out that it is all technique on my part - I'm fairly new (been playing only two years) and still need to get more consistent with a good skating posture and knee bend. I am curious from those who used a 100/50 if perhaps switching to something like a 95/75 would help out? From the charts it looks like the angle is supposed to be the same but maybe the fact that the edge is taller would make it a better fit? I will say that I am quite enjoying the glide and especially the ease of backwards/forwards transitions...and I wouldn't want to compromise those too greatly...if possible. I should also mention that I came from a 1/2" hollow before (currently about 5'10" and 170lbs).
I can see what the charts say in terms of bite/glide/grip...I was just hoping to get some anecdotal information before sending things in for my next sharpening.
Thanks!

In my opinion 95/75 has a little more bite than 100/50 (I have a sharpener and have tried them both). The only thing that is "the same" between 95/75 and 100/50 is the edge angle (the angle that the fang makes with the flat). The thing that they are actually comparing to ROH in those charts is the edge angle of the FBV to the effective edge angle of a comparable ROH. I would concur with you that it makes sense that the taller edge would give you a little more bite.

Do you recall if there was a tangible difference in the glide/transitioning between the two? I know there are several factors that also come into play (quality of the ice, etc) but I'm just trying to gauge if I should stick with the 100/50 (at least for one more round of sharpening) or jump to something with a more aggressive bite. During my game on Sunday I wouldn't say that I felt unstable while turning - I just wonder if they could be a bit "crisper".

Do you recall if there was a tangible difference in the glide/transitioning between the two? I know there are several factors that also come into play (quality of the ice, etc) but I'm just trying to gauge if I should stick with the 100/50 (at least for one more round of sharpening) or jump to something with a more aggressive bite. During my game on Sunday I wouldn't say that I felt unstable while turning - I just wonder if they could be a bit "crisper".

In my opinion, the difference between the two in glide (and bite) is pretty slight. I would think that unless you have a good person sharpening that you trust, the variability of the sharpen would be a bigger difference than the 95/75 vs. 100/50. Before I had my own sharpener and was getting FBV, I would sometimes feel slippage in various parts of the blade with the SAME setting from sharpen to sharpen.

Most of the guys on my team felt similarly about the 100/50, all but one of the guys coming from 1/2" prefers the bite of the 95/75 to the 100/50. I would check to make sure your edges are level before making the decision to try the 95/75. If it isn't a problem with the sharpening, go ahead and jump to the 95/75.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give the 100/50 another try - and then see how it goes (and try the 95/75 next time if I still feel the same way about wanting just a little more bite).

I'm uses Blademaster's flatt bottom though do you think FBV is more better than it?

I want to try FBV...

Edited by Mimizk

I'm uses Blademaster's flatt bottom though do you think FBV is more better than it?

I want to try FBV...

I can only relay what many have told me who tried the Blademaster copycat after skating on the original FBV. Many even thought they were getting the real FBV because the shop lied to them or was not upfront about it being the BFD. Virtually all said they liked the FBV better. Still, only way for you to know is to try both.

Still, only way for you to know is to try both.

Do you think it is possible to sharp FBV on Blademaster's sharpener if I bought its dresser?

I haven't been following the details on Blackstones adapter but I would guess yes it will work on a BM.

I think so too... but it's little expensive, 2000$.

>http://www.blackstonesport.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=187

I think It may be able to use any sharpeners if the dresser fix on the table and its bit certainly adjust the same height as sharpener's grinder stone.

Just got my sharpener.

Was wondering how you guys fix the spinner being too tight issue?

With the wavy bronze washer at the spinner cap.

Also, I heard something about using electrical tape on the batgauge - where on it should I apply the tape?

Edited by wilch

Just got my sharpener.

Was wondering how you guys fix the spinner being too tight issue?

With the wavy bronze washer at the spinner cap.

I used some pliers to compress the second washer

I think so too... but it's little expensive, 2000$.

>http://www.blackstonesport.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=187

I think It may be able to use any sharpeners if the dresser fix on the table and its bit certainly adjust the same height as sharpener's grinder stone.

Yes, the MAG75 is universal with a Blademaster.

If you have a steel table, use the magnet. If you have a granite table, it comes with a bar that buts up to the sharpener head.

I have been using 100/50 for a little while now and like it so far. One thing I still don't get is the chart they provide. How can the 90/75 be on the less bite side of the chart with that deep cut.

I have been using 100/50 for a little while now and like it so far. One thing I still don't get is the chart they provide. How can the 90/75 be on the less bite side of the chart with that deep cut.

The width of the flat at the bottom of the V is a significant factor in the performance. Yes, the edges are taller with the x/75 hollows, but you still get more glide due to the geometry of the overall shape.