Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malcb33

leg length discrepancy

See in the CCM U+ thread a picture of Shane Doan's skates I noticed that he has a risers the whole way along one of his skates, probably because he has one leg shorter than the other. I to have a leg length discrepancy and find I get some back pain maybe caused from this issue? I was wondering if anyone else there has tried risers on one skate and how they found it?

my right leg is shorter than the left. i have had back pain as long as i can remember. i have to shim my shoes and my skates. i shim the skates just as you saw Shane Doans skates... between the boot and the holder. i got a 1/8 sheet of plastic from the guys at Nash and used the dremel to shape a near perfect copy of my Pitch Holders. get all your footwear shimmed out and STRENGTHEN YOUR CORE. i am in no way a Doctor and you should always seek advice from a Doctor.

Zac, Did you feel a big improvement once you added the shims to your skates? Or more a small improvement like Rubo?

until i had my skate shimmed i had always felt stronger, better stride extensions on one leg rather than both. some people say that it is natural to have one leg better than the other, but i believe if you can really skate it does not matter left .. right.. whatever. now with the right skate shimmed i feel good on both legs and best of all... my back pains are significantly less.

Lee Cole at Skates.com is a friend and a customer of mine. i use his products in my shoes to level my leg out. Lee is a good dude!

malcb33,

I started a thread a while back about this very subject, and I've just recently got mine done (1/4" lifts on my left skate). I feel a huge difference. They've taken a lot of weight off my right hip, and I feel that my weight is more evenly distributed on my legs/feet. I don't feel that my agility has suffered at all. If anything, I think it has improved. It was a huge hassle after everything was said and done, but I think it has solved my problems.

malcb33,

I started a thread a while back about this very subject, and I've just recently got mine done (1/4" lifts on my left skate). I feel a huge difference. They've taken a lot of weight off my right hip, and I feel that my weight is more evenly distributed on my legs/feet. I don't feel that my agility has suffered at all. If anything, I think it has improved. It was a huge hassle after everything was said and done, but I think it has solved my problems.

yeah, i had it done and it made such a huge difference, i got it fixed when i was 10, and i couldnt really skate till then.

Most people have some sort of leg length issue. Best thing like was mentioned if you are having some pain is to do PT--there are certain exercises that will help.

If the leg length is less than 2 mm I wouldn't worry about it too much. If there are some discrepancies, you can get custom skate orthotics with heel lifts built in.

I don't know how much the discrepancy is, but if it is going to help my back pain (and maybe feel better on my skates) I am thinking its worth it?

I don't know how much the discrepancy is, but if it is going to help my back pain (and maybe feel better on my skates) I am thinking its worth it?

I wouldn't necessarily contribute your back pain to your leg length issue (if you have a noticeable one). Most leg length issues will cause some kind of issue anywhere up and down your leg--ankle, knee or hips. There could be many things causing the problem: tight IT bands, tight hip-flexors, core strength. Best thing is to go in and have a doctor and PT look at you and also get a 2nd opinion.

again... i am not a doctor, but a short leg will cause pelvic tilt ( insert joke here... SRI??? MACK??? Buelar??? ) and that will contribute to back pain. for me shimming the boot and core strengthening has made a huge difference. imma donkey on the edge Shrek!

The Graf website has this to offer on the subject, but nothing is recommended or explained.

http://grafcanada.com/science/every_body.pdf

I had problems with Graff skates in 2008 and all the literature prior to purchase was so positive that it looked like it would be the perfect skate. I got two bad ones, one with holders off center on both boots then the next pair one of the soles was warped making the blade bend. Very difficult to get service out of the second issue, but the first was so bad that I got an immediate swap.

My left leg is 7/8" shorter than my right and my left foot is almost a full size smaller than my right. Finding skates that fit has always been a big issue as I can't afford customs. My spine and hips have spent my entire walking life compensating for this so i've had back and hip issues for as long as I can remember. I used to wear lifts in my left shoe but stopped after getting orthotics made. I'm thinking of getting custom orthotics for my skates to see if that helps.

I would guess that 7/8" would be too much discrepancy for an orthotic to compensate for?? Seems like a shim between your left holder and skate would work better than stealing that much volume from inside the left skate.

Have you shopped eBay for pro stock returns? A lot of pros have one foot bigger than the other. heck, a lot of people do...but pros just get skates that actually fit them.

I would guess that 7/8" would be too much discrepancy for an orthotic to compensate for?? Seems like a shim between your left holder and skate would work better than stealing that much volume from inside the left skate.

Have you shopped eBay for pro stock returns? A lot of pros have one foot bigger than the other. heck, a lot of people do...but pros just get skates that actually fit them.

It is far too large for orthotics but I do have a 1/4" difference which makes it better. I've thought about a lift in my left skate but honestly i'm so used to it that I don't even notice anymore.

I've searched Ebay for pro stock return skates but have never found anything in my size(s). This size issue is one of the main reasons I bought my Reebok 18K skates over the CCMs. The pump feature allows me to get a better fit in my smaller foot.