Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ Thompson94

NHL players in Graf

Graf products fit a wider range of people than the average player/bender thinks. Nike Bauer probably has the right marketing with their heavy support accomodations at the NHL level. Graf got into the lightweight skate game rather late, but when all leather skates were the rage, no one made better skates than Graf or Daoust. Just my opinion. Also, you cannot be a novice skater and skate on certain Graf skates. Graf may catch up to NBH or Easton etc when it comes to the latest, but right now they make the most durable, long term skates in my opinion. I know guys that have been in the same Graf skates for 5-6+ years or more.

Graf makes different models for different foot shapes and skating style. There is more science put into making a boot that works with your foot to make your stride and mobility better. The biggest obstacle is when the customer is buying the skates. If one of the pro reps or the VP of Graf was to fit every player on earth, everyone would love their skates and never want to try anything else. If your foot and skating style is best suited to a 703 but when you go to the store, the fitter lets you buy a G5 because they had a cool white one there, of course you won't be happy with it. Some people have a foot and stride suited perfectly for a Bauer 5000. So if they own a Bauer 5000 they will love them. I think you can see where I am going with this. It is always better to have more options. Where Graf is successful, is where there are very good skate fitters. So if you go into a store that really knows what they are doing and you walk out with the correct skate, perfect.

Never buy a skate based on what pro wears them. When Iginla was wearing the One90, it was just a CCM wrapped in One90 skin.

Always get the right skate, because it is the most important part of your game.

If you need evidence, just ask anyone in Grafs who was fitted properly and now has the right boot for them.

Also, just so you guys know, this shaving a gram off a skate is all marketing as well. I wore 10.5 One90s and now I have a full leather 703. I don't notice any weight difference. I do notice that my stride is less restricted and my mobility is way better. These new skates are getting way too stiff.

Graf makes different models for different foot shapes and skating style. There is more science put into making a boot that works with your foot to make your stride and mobility better. The biggest obstacle is when the customer is buying the skates. If one of the pro reps or the VP of Graf was to fit every player on earth, everyone would love their skates and never want to try anything else. If your foot and skating style is best suited to a 703 but when you go to the store, the fitter lets you buy a G5 because they had a cool white one there, of course you won't be happy with it. Some people have a foot and stride suited perfectly for a Bauer 5000. So if they own a Bauer 5000 they will love them. I think you can see where I am going with this. It is always better to have more options. Where Graf is successful, is where there are very good skate fitters. So if you go into a store that really knows what they are doing and you walk out with the correct skate, perfect.

Never buy a skate based on what pro wears them. When Iginla was wearing the One90, it was just a CCM wrapped in One90 skin.

If you need evidence, just ask anyone in Grafs who was fitted properly and now has the right boot for them.

Are Graf reps willing to go to a LHS to give a fitting to a prospective customer to ensure that the customer is trying the right boots for his feet type?

All our dealers are supposed to have all the knowledge to correctly fit you. I know dealers that would probably do a better job of fitting you than the rep. We have product knowledge/fitting clinics at the factory here in Calgary that the dealers attend. If you are concerned with getting the best fit, might be a good idea to get a senior staff member, manager, or even owner to fit you. They will know the best what boot is for you.

Are Graf reps willing to go to a LHS to give a fitting to a prospective customer to ensure that the customer is trying the right boots for his feet type?

That explains all the poor skates in Vapor XXXXs or NBH One90s I've seen at the rink or tourneys. Your average common skate shop idiot isnt going to fit you in the best skates for your fit. Some kids are too busy play ball hockey over in apparel to come and help customers

Players who are not under a skate endorsment contract still get skates of their choice from CCM, Bauer, Easton etc. for free. If a player chooses Graf, the team actually have to buy them.

Right, but not at all. The team also has to pay for the CCM, Bauer, Easton etc. as well most of the time, I have heard of "get your first pair free!" sort of thing, in the end, the team is paying for everyone's gear, inculding the endorsed players. An example (while in sticks, not skates) is Heatley and his sticks, endorses Easton, but the Sens still pay for his sticks (all octillion of them).

I think what helped Graf for so many years was that they made different fit's of skates, which could appease more and more people. Today's skates are lightweight, but they also have other tangible's and intangible's that I think Graf lacks. The Easton carbon skates are pretty dang responsive, something that I find my g5ultra's lack. Its is the little things that I think have "hurt" (if you could really call it that) Graf here in the last 5 years.

Zach

The grand prize goes to anyone who can accurately list the referees and linesmen that wear Graf...

All of them. Except the one that wears old Tacks.

i have seen one linesman in s15s

You guys are taking names of the website, some of those players don't wear grafs anymore. But why is there not one superstar that wears grafs. There are some pretty good players on the list but no one great. There has to be more players than the list on grafs site.

Yeah. Spezza who?

Jagr, Forsberg, and even Gretzky at one time wore them. What people don't understand is that Graf doesn't pay anyone to wear our skates. Look at the refs and linesmen in the NHL, WHL, OHL. They wear Grafs. They don't get endorsement money, so they wear what they think feel is the best skate. All the superstars Graf has lost to the big companies was because of big endorsement money. Graf is a product company, not a marketing company. Now, do you want a skate because Crosby wears it, or do you want a skate that is the best for you?

:P Oh, and I could list every Ref and linesman that wear them, but that wouldn't be fair.

Is Forsberg in Graf now? With all of his foot problems and your ability to make the "right" skate, I would be surprised if he doesn't wear Graf now. Even with his name on Synergy sticks, he doesn't wear S15s, right? So what is he wearing?

And I don't ever remember seeing Gretzky in Graf. When did that ever happen?

Graf makes different models for different foot shapes and skating style. There is more science put into making a boot that works with your foot to make your stride and mobility better.

Does the Graf philosophy and science truly believe that the aggressive forward pitch of Cobra holders is the way to go? Or is it something that was done a long time ago, and now it's just grandfathered (e.g. you can't change the familiar feel for return customers)?

Is Forsberg in Graf now? With all of his foot problems and your ability to make the "right" skate, I would be surprised if he doesn't wear Graf now.

I know he was working with Graf when he started having the serious ankle problems. Not sure what he's in now.

You guys are taking names of the website, some of those players don't wear grafs anymore. But why is there not one superstar that wears grafs. There are some pretty good players on the list but no one great. There has to be more players than the list on grafs site.

Yeah. Spezza who?

Jagr, Forsberg, and even Gretzky at one time wore them. What people don't understand is that Graf doesn't pay anyone to wear our skates. Look at the refs and linesmen in the NHL, WHL, OHL. They wear Grafs. They don't get endorsement money, so they wear what they think feel is the best skate. All the superstars Graf has lost to the big companies was because of big endorsement money. Graf is a product company, not a marketing company. Now, do you want a skate because Crosby wears it, or do you want a skate that is the best for you?

:P Oh, and I could list every Ref and linesman that wear them, but that wouldn't be fair.

Is Forsberg in Graf now? With all of his foot problems and your ability to make the "right" skate, I would be surprised if he doesn't wear Graf now. Even with his name on Synergy sticks, he doesn't wear S15s, right? So what is he wearing?

And I don't ever remember seeing Gretzky in Graf. When did that ever happen?

Gretz tried everything after he retired. I remember seeing him in Mission as well.

The grand prize goes to anyone who can accurately list the referees and linesmen that wear Graf...

I think it's just the done thing in officiating, I've heard from friends of mine that the powers that be look down on "garish"/modern styled skates.

Is Forsberg in Graf now? With all of his foot problems and your ability to make the "right" skate, I would be surprised if he doesn't wear Graf now.

I know he was working with Graf when he started having the serious ankle problems. Not sure what he's in now.

forsberg is in vapor XXXX last time i saw

I think it's just the done thing in officiating, I've heard from friends of mine that the powers that be look down on "garish"/modern styled skates.

You're right, that's one of the reasons why. Graf makes one of the best all black/stealth skates. It looks very poor to be a referee and have a huge XXX logo in silver/red on your skate.

To be fair, I made that list (when I was laid off) by searching out every NHL player on Getty images. This was done about 1 year ago, so I'm sure things will have changed. My Excel spreadsheet includes skate model and holder. Here were some stats:

By Skate

703-6-15%

704-1-3%

705-8-21%

707-3-6%

709-1-3%

735-1-3%

G3-8-21%

G5-6-15%

G35-1-3%

G5 Ultra-4-10%

By Holder

Cobras-12-31%

Pitch 3-1-3%

T-blades-1-3%

Tuuk-23-58%

Tuuk LS-2-5%

By Position

F 24 62%

D 15 38%

By Nationality

CAN 23 59%

CZE 1 3%

FIN 1 3%

GER 3 6%

RUS 2 5%

UKR 2 5%

USA 7 18%

Graf products fit a wider range of people than the average player/bender thinks. Nike Bauer probably has the right marketing with their heavy support accomodations at the NHL level. Graf got into the lightweight skate game rather late, but when all leather skates were the rage, no one made better skates than Graf or Daoust. Just my opinion. Also, you cannot be a novice skater and skate on certain Graf skates. Graf may catch up to NBH or Easton etc when it comes to the latest, but right now they make the most durable, long term skates in my opinion. I know guys that have been in the same Graf skates for 5-6+ years or more.

Is there some kind of chart that shows which Graf skate is best for each type of foot? I have seen the feet ad you guys have but it seems to be outdated. You guys have so many different models, it's kind of confusing. Alternatively, I guess someone like me could just try on every skate in the store and see how it fits, but how it fits in the store and how it feels on the ice are two entirely different things.

I'm in no way affiliated with Graf, but I do understand that they have several different models for different foot types. There should be a chart in every shop though..It might be helpful to see it on the wall..etc..Graf makes a pretty good skate, but maybe needs to increase the awareness of their products and maybe have better marketing.

I'm in no way affiliated with Graf, but I do understand that they have several different models for different foot types. There should be a chart in every shop though..It might be helpful to see it on the wall..etc..Graf makes a pretty good skate, but maybe needs to increase the awareness of their products and maybe have better marketing.

Totally agree that Graf needs to send out some sort of chart to hang near the skate display wall. I get customers all the time in the shop that are totally thrown because the g3's and the g35's are the same price. "Higher number must mean the skate is better, no?" No sir, graf really doesn't make a top end or bottom end skate. They make skates for different feet. It's pretty confusing for customers.

Totally agree that Graf needs to send out some sort of chart to hang near the skate display wall. I get customers all the time in the shop that are totally thrown because the g3's and the g35's are the same price. "Higher number must mean the skate is better, no?" No sir, graf really doesn't make a top end or bottom end skate. They make skates for different feet. It's pretty confusing for customers.

There is a chart, but if you know their models you can spot what model they need by their foot type. I know I did.

JR,

Does the chart contain the same info as Graf's website or is it more in-depth? If it isn't on the website, is it something available to dealers from Graf. I know a decent amount about Graf fitting but would like to know more.

In answer to an earilier question Forsberg is in Nike/Bauers. He was working with them over the summer to fit him into a pair of skates that wheren't hurting his feet after being on them for an extended period of time.

Agreed completely!

There is a chart, but if you know their models you can spot what model they need by their foot type. I know I did.

Not every LHS employee is the JR Boucicaut! ;)

That's why it used to crack me up when I saw so many people wearing 727s (before 735 came out) They would complain about the stiffness and lack of protection.