Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Glad i'm not the only one.

We were playing 3-on-3 and this bloke was just dogging it on a 6 minute shift and I was about to jump on and "relieve" him of his shift!!!!

Crikey- when you suck worse than a Dyson, you need to get off the bloody ice, you know?!?!?

We were playing 3-on-3 and this bloke was just dogging it on a 6 minute shift and I was about to jump on and "relieve" him of his shift!!!!

Crikey- when you suck worse than a Dyson, you need to get off the bloody ice, you know?!?!?

Haha totally. Some people don't seem to understand that if they come off the ice sooner when they get back on they can actually be an asset to the game.

I have to take short shifts cuz I'm so far out of shape, but I bust my ass while I'm on the ice, and I think the guys I've been playing with see that.

I just need to work on my conditioning after not playing or doing ANYTHING strenuous for a LONNNNNG time.

I'm always trying my hardest, and I know when it's time.

I have to take short shifts cuz I'm so far out of shape, but I bust my ass while I'm on the ice, and I think the guys I've been playing with see that.

I just need to work on my conditioning after not playing or doing ANYTHING strenuous for a LONNNNNG time.

That's my thing too, I'm not very good or fast but I just skate as hard as I can when I'm on the ice. Sometimes I luck out and end up in the right place haha.

Great for you man, your body will learn to recover faster with shorter shifts and you'll be less gassed after a shift sooner than later. Keep it up

I also take short shifts because I'm out of shape. And I take longer to recover, so the other RW gets a longer shift if he isn't gassed. Win-win, if you ask me.

Great for you man, your body will learn to recover faster with shorter shifts and you'll be less gassed after a shift sooner than later. Keep it up

Thanks for the encouragement.

I cannot even tie my skates on a single shift. Need a break and my belly gets in the way. Still love to play!

Yup, I know that feeling too. I have to make sure they are perfect before I leave the room because I'm unable to re-tie once my pants are on.

I cannot even tie my skates on a single shift. Need a break and my belly gets in the way. Still love to play!

My belly doesn't get in the way but tying skates is so much work. I always have to take a break between skates. haha

Where I play the level of players goes from beginner to experienced. I enjoy playing with a wide range of abilities, but I dislike the one guy who always plays like its game 7. I will delay to allow others to enter the zone and he is always right on me to press and try to take the puck. Or a beginner will have the puck and everyone else gives them a chance to carry for a bit and maybe get a shot on goal but "cool guy" will just strip them. The kicker is this guy is near the bottom for skill level. He can skate well enough to stay in the play, but that is about all he has going for him.

I'd give him a pass if it were just him trying to keep you (or another experienced player) out of the zone. It's possible he doesn't realize you are waiting for your team to near the zone.

On the other hand, stripping beginners aggressively isn't cool.

Have you tried talking to him? Is he clueless or just an ass? If he's just clueless, a friendly chat might dial him in and make drop-in a lot more fun for him and everyone else.

People who don't bring their own water and then think it's ok to empty mine in the first twenty minutes.

Just do what I do- write on some tape sayings like "the owner of this bottle has Hep C" or "Caution, Flu Patient". I change the message every week, but it gets the point across. You could put a strange flavour in your bottle and I guarantee NOBODY would drink from your bottle again.

Some of my Peeves:

1-coast to coast guy

2-guys who constantly call for puck so they can go coast to coast

3-guy who feels he has to chop and hack hands, skates and stick. (Not to be mistaken for regular stick checking).

4-guy who will take 4-5 min shifts will a full bench and is cherry picking and probably keeping shots on goal stats in his mushy noggin.

5-guy who decides defense is not to be played.

6-guy who take head high slappers. (There is always at least one).

7-guy who will drink my water bottle and have no problem finishing most of it. (That May get you punched in the face).

There are more, it doesn't surprise me anymore just how many water heads play shinny out there.

I hate people taking slap shots through defenders, like right into their feet. It's pickup, guys. Can we please not try to shatter anybody's foot bones?

Also, some guy slashed me in the helmet after a stick lift same pickup. Some people man...

As long as they're putting in an honest effort and trying to make good plays, lesser ability players don't bother me, especially since there are plenty of skates where I'm playing above my head. If it bothers you so much then find yourself a stronger skate.

Pick up is a place where benders can learn to get better. It's the top gun hotshots that treat it like game 7 of the cup finals that bother me. If you see a guy whose still learning there is no reason to go at him hard. Let them try something and bring the play to you. It's pick up after all and we were all benders at one time.

I was never a bender though I do agree to take it easy on the new guys. MN kids are born with with ability to skate and shot da puck.

Even old overweight MN guys can still fly at least in their mind. Pet peeve is hacking away at the old guy!

what i mean is guys who don't know their own ability showing up to a A level skate and being a D level skater. Go to the C and B levels first. People can get hurt. I have no problem with players wanting to get better

If you're D, stick with D until you're one of the top guys there, then go C.

No D here...I have another year or two in C, at least. Zero urge to go get in the way at a B night.

Many rinks, though, don't designate open skates as being geared to upper or lower levels. It's one of the things (besides the big one which is the fact that the times are all either in the middle of the work day or on weekends when I am often either doing freelance work outside of my job or out of town) that keeps me from going. I've even tried contacting the hockey directors at my two closest rinks to ask if they can recommend a particular night that tends to get an appropriate crowd for my (low) skill level. No response. I suspect they dont even know the answer. Goes back to my previous bitchings and moanings about poor business acumen being so rampant among hockey programs and rink management.

New one, since playing goal: players patting me on the head with their sticks. Seriously, don't do that. I'm happy you're pleased with my services in net and all but really...

That's hilarious. I never hit my goalie with my stick in the head but have seen it and I know it would piss me off if people did it to me. I usually give him a bang in the legs not the head.