Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Richard Zednik Injury

well if you think about it an athlete's blood is pumping alot faster than if you were sitting resting on a couch, and also it was a main artery so its not suprising that there was that much blood.

i would hate to see a picture of the locker/medical room in that arena when they were trying to stop the bleeding.

glad to hear he is doing ok

Just unreal. When you see it right when it happens and the blood just pours out of his neck. He's very fortunate that he skated to the bench, if he didnt' who know's how he would be doing right now. Just glad to know he's doing alright.

Insanely fucking scary. Definitely the type of freak thing you don't wish upon any player....Zednik has all my wishes to a full recovery, that was just unreal!

Word.

We were watching the game in the shop when it happened. I saw Zednik crumple after Jokinen got up-ended and put two-and-two together. The stream of blood confirmed what happened, and then MSG showed the replay (right up to the point where he got cut, then stopped it). I decided right then and there that I wouldn't be watching any YouTube footage.

As has been said, they did a pretty good job of not showing any replays. You can't see anything terrible in the youtube stuff. The main footage followed the play, it wasn't immediately clear how badly Zednik was hurt. The worst you can see is the blood on the ice.

I, personally, am truly amazed that he had the wherewithal to skate to the bench. A few years ago a guy in my beer league got cut on the wrist, he lost maybe half as much blood as Zednik and he passed out before he even made it to the bench. Absolutely terrifying seeing something like that in person, brings back scary memories seeing this happen. Just glad he's okay.

The body does CRAZY things when it's threatened/hurt like that.

While this might be an example on a slightly (okay, drastically) smaller scale, I can tell you that there are times when the body just takes over. I once played a buddy pass (I knew I was in trouble, but I also knew that not playing the pass would have given the other team an odd-man-rush the other way) and got absolutely steamrolled, just completely and totally demolished. I don't remember anything after dumping the puck until I woke-up, layed-out in the tunnel behind the bench, bleeding from my forehead, cheekbone and chin, with a trainer and a medic standing over me. Apparently (according to what a few of my teammates said...and the game tape) I got drilled and IMMEDIATELY popped back up to my feet (almost like I hit a trampoline, it was like I bounced), sprinted directly over to the bench and collapsed in the tunnel and was out for a good 30-40 seconds before I came to.

I'm amazed Zednik made it back to the bench as well as he did, but I'm willing to bet that he doesn't remember much about the experience, other than maybe saying "Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit..." the entire 110 feet to the bench.

I can't imagine the sight and sound of that injury on his way to the bench.

A few years ago in the summer, friends and I were playing roller hockey at a nearby school. Another group of people showed up and asked if we wanted to play. We play, and the one guy on our team that has never played any kind of organised hockey is going towards the boards near the bench. There are no bench doors on this rink, so no one's really digging hard near that spot for obvious reasons. Some asshole slewfoots our friend and his head hit the corner and you could just hear the hissing as blood went everywhere. Of course the dick who did it ended up looking worse after he got jumped by us and even his own friends.

You're right - the SOUND of an injury is sometimes worse than anything else. I'll never forget the sound my buddy's head made when he got pinned by some tool who got his wires crossed a bit at tryouts for the school baseball team and threw the ball to the wrong guy. It's still something that some of us who were on that team talk about a couple years after the fact; just an awful, hollow kind of pop that just made me sick to my stomach.

The worst part of the whole experience was the fact that we lost one of our seniors/captain who all of us younger guys looked up to for a few weeks, and we lost him because of some jokeshow who was probably one of the first two or three guys to get cut.

I gotta second you guys. The sound is indeed very disturbing. Either when you hear "your" sound, like when some bones crack or when an achilles tenon rips, you can hear that even when you are about 50-100 metres away (no joke!!)

As gross as hissing blood is, nothing beats a bone or tendon snapping. My sister had broken her forearm snowboarding over Christmas break and just got her cast off. We had a soccer game and it's her first one without the cast and she collides with someone and you could hear the *pop* clear as day since we're in a dome. Nothing got broken again, but that sound causes a Pavlovian reaction to me to see what's broken.

I broke my right forearm in half (yes, in half - think of two elbows on one arm) in 1992 and I can still "hear" it. It sounded like "PAP!!!" Thank god for stainless steel plates and pins.

Unfortunately, they had already dealt with this when it happened to Malarchuk back in the day. Between Kevin Everett and now this, it's been a rough year for people playing games in Buffalo.

Harry Neale says "I've never seen that much blood that quickly..." and Jeanerette, totally deadpan, in shock, goes "I have!"

yeah, not to make light of this incident, but i thought the way that came out was a bit odd too. not sure if he was referring to malarchuk or what - but it reminded me of a scene from that norm mcdonald movie 'dirty work'.

Mitch: I've never seen so many dead hookers in all my life!

Bystander: Lord knows I have...

Based on the comments, I'm glad my work filter screens out YouTube!

I've always liked Zednik. Here's to a complete physical recovery. And I hope this doesn't mess with his head at all, too.

i hope that Zednik makes a full recovery as well... they said the fact that he skated right to the bench instead of just staying down on the ice saved his life. Hate to see this kind of thing happen

ESPN Just reported he is out of surgery and in stable condition....You have to give alot of props to the fast acting training and Medical staff, they are the ones that pretty much saved his life...Between the time he was cut and the time he hit the ER is more than enough time to bleed out....BIG props to ALL trainers and Medical staff...

I broke my right forearm in half (yes, in half - think of two elbows on one arm) in 1992 and I can still "hear" it. It sounded like "PAP!!!" Thank god for stainless steel plates and pins.

same thing happened to me in a hockey game behind the net, except that i got drilled so hard i couldn't hear my arm break just my collision with the wall

but back to Zedniks injury, my friend called me and told me and it scared the s**t out of me, i think i might be wearing a neck guard from now on

press conf is saying that he's out for the season.....

that totally sucks.

Unless of course you've had your neck sliced open, and lived to tell about it...then it sucks less.

I was at the game, happened right below us and to the left. The youtube videos don't do it justice with how bad that looked. By the time he got to the bench he was already passing out, you could see them literally carry him down the hallway.

The entire sceen was surreal. As soon as the blood started to pool on the ice, the entire arena went silent. 18,000 people quite enough that you could hear the people on the ice yelling about what was happening.