Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sc37

Boulder Hockey Shield Company

Loved this shield for the first few games i played with it and then it started fogging like crazy. Tried cleaning it with 409 like the instructions say to and it helped initially but then fogged up again. Ended up putting my cage back on. Hate the cage but it beats not being able to see through condensation and fog. Would love to play with a half shield but with my luck I would get seriously hurt and then my wife would kill me.

Loved this shield for the first few games i played with it and then it started fogging like crazy. Tried cleaning it with 409 like the instructions say to and it helped initially but then fogged up again. Ended up putting my cage back on. Hate the cage but it beats not being able to see through condensation and fog. Would love to play with a half shield but with my luck I would get seriously hurt and then my wife would kill me.

That's really strange. I've had my shield for at least 9 months now and I haven't had any issue with fogging.

How are you cleaning it? How often do you clean it? I noticed that it took longer to fog if I cleaned it before each game. Thanks for your help.

How are you cleaning it? How often do you clean it? I noticed that it took longer to fog if I cleaned it before each game. Thanks for your help.

I rarely do clean it. Sometimes I notice it's a tad grimy before games so I go to the sink and run some water on it, wipe it down and dry it off. Still doesn't really fog. Is there supposed to be a proper procedure to clean it? I air it out after every skate.

I just saw they updated their cleaning procedure to soap and water only. They used to say 409 or Windex and then rinse with water but guess that changed. Maybe only using soap and water will help. I will give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

The mask does look a little wide and short. I have been considering picking one of these up, wish it was a bit longer and thinner.

I have to say that it is odd about the fogging issues. I used the older 1/2 wire style before the new lexan model upgrade and have never had issues with either one. I used the older one for about 3 years.

I never have cleaned them with anything other than wetting the corner of my microfiber cloth with plain water and wiping dry with the rest of the cloth. NO fog.

Maybe the fog coating doesn't like anything but microfiber cloth?

I think the long and short of the fogging issues depends on many factors. Some people run hot, or sweat a lot. I am one of those people - I could fog up a cage! Other's don't - I know guys that play inline in August in Concept 2's with no fogging issue. Some people are breathing heavier than others, causing more condensation in the shield. Some rinks are more humid than others, ets, etc. Your mileage may vary - there is no one answer. Some things work for some, others do not.

It may actually be more condensation than fogging for me. I do sweat like crazy and breathe fairly hard coming off the ice. Doesn't help that 80% of our games we only have 1 or 2 relief skaters. End up taking 7 minute or longer shifts with only a minute break. I have almost taken penalties on purpose just to get off of the ice :-)

These claim to need no anti-fog products. This I will have to see when I get on the ice on Friday (unless the hvac guy is late). The lens seems distortion-free.

The frame in which the lens is mounted to seems sturdy enough, but it is strange that there is play on the mounting clips until the mask is cinched up. Adjustments to make the chin cup fit require some messing with the J-clip height, which seems a bit odd for me.

I definitely like the colour selection of the frame. I also like that it is built in North America. It seems to use high-quality materials.

I am having trouble posting pics from the iPad. I apologise.

Any user of this product here?

These are the boulder masks yes? Theres a few users on MSH. I've seen a few people in my league wearing them too. They actually look a lot less ridiculous in person. Thinking of giving one a shot.

These are the Boulder masks, made by the guy who claims to have invented the combo. It seems to have ample ventilation. The only way to see if I really like it is to play a few shifts with it.

Yup, exactly. Worth a shot. My first thought when I saw them was that they look completely ridiculous, but after seeing them in person a few times they aren't so bad. Kind of like the first impression of the Mako skates vs seeing them in person.

I know that I forgot how much I bloody well despise cages DESPITE the last couple of years in my hockey career wearing a 1/2 cage over the (then) new-fangled iTech thingies...

I haven't played as much without a cage, mostly just shinny, but when I've got the lie/length worked out on my stick, I swear I can forget it's even on there.

Well, between reading the website cuthockeystick.com and wearing the Boulder visor, my game was better. I could see well. I even (slowly) skated in a break away. This visor definitely NEVER fogged. It was like I was wearing nothing.

HIGHLY recommended.

I had the older, wire version of the Boulder Hockey Shield, but ditched it for a Bauer ReAKT cage. The visibility is great with them, but there just wasn't enough ventilation for me. I would sweat buckets with it on, but not nearly as much with the cage.

Frankly, I was expecting to sweat buckets with this visor/mask and I didn't. Maybe the rink was colder than the last two times I was there. My helmet is still a sweat box (when is my new helmet going to get here?!?!?), but I wasn't pouring like normal. But as I always say- your mileage may vary.

Anyone try this in comparison to the Bauer Re-Akt cage compared to the current model in terms of weight and ventilation?

Anyone try this in comparison to the Bauer Re-Akt cage compared to the current model in terms of weight and ventilation?

I prefer the Re-Akt cage by far. I have problems finding the puck at my feet with the Boulder shield.

This is definitely a YMMV situation, for certain. I wish there was a hybrid of the Boulder shield with the Re-Akt cage, frankly. I just never knew how much I hated the vision afforded by cages in general.

I still think I'm going to try one, even if I already have the re-akt and think it's fantastic. Worth a shot, especially since they aren't especially expensive.

If you have the re-akt and think it's fantastic, I (personally) wouldn't mess around with anything else. Scratch resistant isn't scratch proof. I wear a half-shield and have to replace it from time to time because of scratches. Just bought the Avision half-shield. We'll see how it stacks up against the Oakley 903.