Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

Is the TUUK Rocker chassis similar to the Sprung?

Link to smarthockey page, tuuk rocker chassis

I just stumbled upon this, while looking for something to help with my extremely sucky stickhandling skills, so was going to see the smarthockey stuff. And saw this, is it a rip off, or comepletly different, or whats the deal?

The revolutionary patented TUUK® Rocker Chassis is the only off-ice chassis technology that mimics radiused ice skate blade technology. It’s the first chassis to be endorsed by Pro and Collegiate Coaches and Trainers and it’s the only inline skate being used by Division 1, National Team, Junior and Pro Men’s and Women’s ice hockey players including Eric Lindros, Doug Brown, Adam Graves, Paul Kariya and Mario Lemieux. Team Hyper and Team USA used the TUUK® Rocker Chassis to win the 2000 - 2001 NARCh Winternationals and Nationals and the FIRS World Championships respectively

tuukrocker4ay.jpg

Me and a couple mates used to swear by them but then we all gradually changed back to standard chassis, thinking of getting a sprung within the next few months.

The concept is similar to sprungs yes, but to be honest they don't make that much difference and aren't as "ice like" as they claim also I think there are alot better frames on the market.

There is a major conceptual difference in the two chassis from what I have seen.

With the Tuuk chassis you would always be skating on either one, two or three wheels, where the design of the Sprung chassis lets you keep all four wheels or at a minimum two wheels in contact with the floor.

This difference is important from the point of view of maintaining grip for hard cornering, starting a stride, finishing a stride correctly, or stopping.

On take off and for a toe kick the "Sprung" chassis lets you use two wheels throughout most of the stride, where a straight chassis, or even the Tuuk chassis ends up with only the front wheel in contact at the end of the toe kick extension...thus generating more push grip for the Sprung" chassis than either the traditional straight or Tuuk chassis.

So the answer to your question would be..they are NOT the same.

As for your "sucky stickhandling skills"...you don't need to look on the net to find any gimmicks to make you better. Find a surface on which the puck will slide decently at home (a slideboard will work fine)and simply practice your stick handling with your eyes closed and head up, to where you become dependant on your hands to "feel" the location of the puck, not your eyes. Your eyes are for watching the game around you not the puck....let your "hands do the watching"...PS this really works.....

When I ran clinics, after only 15 - 30 minutes of this kind of practice, the onlooking parents could not believe the difference in their little treasure's stick handling skills.

the Tuuk Rocker has a fixed axle that the rocker arm slides back and forth on freely. The Sprungs have the urethane springs that act like suspension and provide resistance.

If you intend to play competitive roller at a high level, than the Tuuk rocker probably isn't what you're going to want unless it's a very small area.

They do a decent job of simulating the rocker of an ice skate so if you just want to practice skating w/ a typical ice power stride, then they are good for that IMO. However, as noted, the Sprungs are good for that as well (I recently switched to Sprung from the Tuuk).