Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harrage12

skate sizing...bauer vs graf

I've called around and basically was told I probably need to go to a size 6 in Grafs, which should also give me the stiffness & support I need vs a JR skate. Please help me figure out what model I need because I can't try these on locally. I've done all the research I can on the Graf site and now need you Graf guys' expertise. I've narrowed it down to Ultra G35, G35X and Supra 735 IX, but maybe I'm missing something....

I have:

• a narrow heel (I have large bone spurs on my heel from my Bauer Supreme 8090s 5.5D)

• a semi-pronounced heel

• a relatively wide forefoot (bauer supremes fit me well here and in toe box)

• a moderate mid-foot

• a moderate instep (but like the boot to come up higher for support)

• moderately high arches

I like a stiff skate with plenty of support.

Please help!

Sounds like you're in the right place looking at the -35 series. G35x is the latest model and felt stiffer to me than the 7 series. Might find lower pricing on the older G35 if your size is still avail. Hockey monkey has a bunch still I believe. They do make a W width along with the standard R. So if the R is too tight at your forefoot/toes check into the W.

That is correct from my personal fit experience. Wear 8.75L 8.5R Bauer. Graf 703 and 735 were a 9.5.

This was my experience as well. Wear 8.5 in graf and 8.0 in bauer.

Sounds like you're in the right place looking at the -35 series. G35x is the latest model and felt stiffer to me than the 7 series. Might find lower pricing on the older G35 if your size is still avail. Hockey monkey has a bunch still I believe. They do make a W width along with the standard R. So if the R is too tight at your forefoot/toes check into the W.

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the G35 in SR Size 6 from Total Hockey as they have them on "clearance." With my membership reward they were $389 with free shipping both ways. I'd love to get the G35X but it's upward of $600! Hopefully I'm on the right track, at least with the size...

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the G35 in SR Size 6 from Total Hockey as they have them on "clearance." With my membership reward they were $389 with free shipping both ways. I'd love to get the G35X but it's upward of $600! Hopefully I'm on the right track, at least with the size...

Good luck. keep us posted.

Regardless if you are switching brands or just getting into a new skate in the same brand, you should always try on the skate before you buy. You can't assume that the skate you buy will be the same fit as the previous size skate you had. A good example is I had a pair of Easton 1300's and they where a size 8. I tried on a pair of size 8's in the new S-17s and they where much too tight. Had to go up to an 8 1/2 for the same fit I was accustomed to. In a Bauer Supreme skate I am a 7 1/2 and I can fit into a 7 E in a Reebok. So you can see size and fit can vary greatly between skates and different skate brands.

Regardless if you are switching brands or just getting into a new skate in the same brand, you should always try on the skate before you buy. You can't assume that the skate you buy will be the same fit as the previous size skate you had. A good example is I had a pair of Easton 1300's and they where a size 8. I tried on a pair of size 8's in the new S-17s and they where much too tight. Had to go up to an 8 1/2 for the same fit I was accustomed to. In a Bauer Supreme skate I am a 7 1/2 and I can fit into a 7 E in a Reebok. So you can see size and fit can vary greatly between skates and different skate brands.

Of course, but when there is no LSH that stocks inventory of the full lines of skates you want to try on, you have no choice but to do research remotely, order them and then try them on to see if they fit...and then send back if they don't. So far I have managed to order four pair of skates without paying any shipping costs either way. But it's a royal pain the the butt!

Duch is right....and I realize how hard it is with guys that don't have LHS in driving distance, but it can be a "work in progress" not trying on skates before purchasing....and an expensive one at that! Good luck, let us know what happens? TY

I've narrowed it down to a couple of Graf skates: 735IX and 709.

I think the 735IX will not be stiff enough nor provide enough support because of the cut. This is how I find the G35 to be.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Supra 709 Narrow as I was told it fits like the other Graf skates in a R (because the 709 is cut so wide). Is this true?

I was also told that the heel width in the 709, although listed as "Wide", is still more narrow than the Bauer Supreme. Is this true?

Would a 709 Narrow have a more narrow heel than the 709 Regular, or is it more narrow just in the mid and forefoot?

Thanks!